IGNORED

Peter Crouch Retires

pillred

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The right thing for him after such a successful career.

He always comes across as an amusing guy and will become an even more familiar face on our tv.

He can replace Gary Lineker on MOTD any time he likes as far as I'm concerned.

It is a pity that these top stars no longer play out their final days at a lower level.  Joe Jordan dropped down a level or two to join City.  I remember Mark Lawrenson playing for Corby Town at Trowbridge.  Any other 'top' players you can remember who did the same?

22 minutes ago, swampy said:

It is a pity that these top stars no longer play out their final days at a lower level.  Joe Jordan dropped down a level or two to join City.  I remember Mark Lawrenson playing for Corby Town at Trowbridge.  Any other 'top' players you can remember who did the same?

Teddy Sheringham at Colchester is one that springs to mind for me,  albeit a brief spell. 

41 minutes ago, swampy said:

Edgar Davids at Barnet.

2 hours ago, swampy said:

Stevie Neville and Trevor Morgan for Clyst Rovers!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Crouch is one of those guys that everybody likes. Seems like a lovely bloke.

You don’t get a bird like he got without a good personality,granted a few million in the bank helps sometimes but he comes across as a decent lad that got lucky in life so fair play to him and will be a fixture on bt or sky I would of thought 

3 hours ago, swampy said:

I remember Stan Bowles playing for Brentford in what was then the 3rd Division in 81/82, when we were on our consecutive relegation "journey".  Probably the most famous trio of brilliant players who dropped down from the top flight was when Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh all played for Fulham in the 2nd Division (when we were in the 1st!).

6 hours ago, swampy said:

Remember Alan Brasil scoring a screamer for Bury Town at the same ground, he was player manager like Lawrenson was I think. 

I suppose Edgar Davids at Barnet qualifys too, and Campbell at Macclesfield. 

6 hours ago, swampy said:

There's different dynamics at play now though, money is a big one - when you have played in the top flight for say 2 years now you probably don't have to work another day in your life if your smart about it and the difference in pay is so large that if you do need the money then playing at the lower level probably isn't enough. The other thing I think that really affects it is fitness, the game is more athletic now and the coaching is more scientific so it's 2 fold - the players with access to the best coaches can stay playing at the top level longer, they used to play until 30 and be done now it's more like 30 is only just past there best and they should be able to easily make 35 playing at or around that level. The fitness at the lower levels is much better than it needed to be back then and it doesn't really matter how much class you have if you can't keep up with play you might as well not be on the pitch. 

10 hours ago, swampy said:

A certain (or otherwise) 'Jeremiah Dennehy' left the G*s and turned out for Trowbridge Town in 1980, which I'm sure @Miah Dennehy won't have overlooked!  I'm pretty sure that Geordie Armstrong was there around the same time.  I also have a dream that Chopper Harris may have graced the old ground…….but that might be the Black Rat talking to me.

11 hours ago, swampy said:

paul scholes played for a Sunday league team.. in goal believe it or not.

13 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember Stan Bowles playing for Brentford in what was then the 3rd Division in 81/82, when we were on our consecutive relegation "journey".  Probably the most famous trio of brilliant players who dropped down from the top flight was when Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh all played for Fulham in the 2nd Division (when we were in the 1st!).

I remember Bowles playing for Orient at about that time.

Archived