IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

54 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Yep my school used to say ‘rush’ goalies, or ‘all hands in’ was the other one I think 

basically if the keeper went on a run someone else could drop in and cover for them 

I grew up in Knowle West and we always called it drop back goalies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Going to the wall aren't they?

Refusing to play the fixture at the end of last season, calling off a friendly (again - not the first time), and a squad so small it makes Rovers look like Man City!!

The tweets from Mark Little above, goes to show how a club like Rovers can afford him. Going so long without being paid, probably jumped at the first club that came calling.

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Going to the wall aren't they?

Refusing to play the fixture at the end of last season, calling off a friendly (again - not the first time), and a squad so small it makes Rovers look like Man City!!

The tweets from Mark Little above, goes to show how a club like Rovers can afford him. Going so long without being paid, probably jumped at the first club that came calling.

To be fair, Mark probably makes more money from his removals business than from playing for that lot. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I grew up in Knowle West and we always called it drop back goalies. 

Whitchurch. Either Rush-Back (anyone could be the goalie) or Drop-Back (the goalie could play wherever they wanted but was the goalie nonetheless) 

Well. That's how I remember it anyway! Don't forget good old next goal wins too mind! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Whitchurch. Either Rush-Back (anyone could be the goalie) or Drop-Back (the goalie could play wherever they wanted but was the goalie nonetheless) 

Well. That's how I remember it anyway! Don't forget good old next goal wins too mind! 

Hengrove/Whitchurch borders for me.  We used same definition. 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 20:39, Loosey Boy said:

Sympathy for their supporters but as a club....definitely not.

They’ve been spending well beyond their means and have been poorly managed ever since their days in the Prem.

Ive mentioned before that I read that in only one of their eleven seasons in the prem did Bolton make a profit. If they coulnd't manage profit in the prem, then what hope have they once relegated.

No one wants to see any club in the position that Bolton now find themselves, but it's a salutary lesson of the dangers facing relegated clubs.

It was to avoid exactly this that I thought ffp rules were in place and it makes the EFL's handling of the issues this summer look even more incompetent and inept. While "selling" their stadium avoided ffp breaches, all it did for Villa, Derby and Wednesday was mask the underlying financial situation which was spending well beyond their income, which is unsustainable.

On 14/07/2019 at 07:32, Miah Dennehy said:

The more football becomes about money , the more this will happen. I wouldn't blame the fans, but I suspect there were a fair amount of them demanding that the chairman 'splashed the cash' in order to keep up with the Joneses, it happens at every club.

I guarantee you that during the course of the upcoming season there will be a fair few demanding that Lansdown gets his hand in his pocket, they would do well to remember 1982.

Wow an intelligent gashead who’d of thought it,

well said

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So rush goalies in the posh parts, and drop backs elsewhere! ?

I think it's also to do with age or what era you grew up in. As i grew up in Southmead but it was rush keepes when i was in school. I also remember it being called all hands on deck sometimes ha! ha!

43 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Classic OTIB.

From the plight of Bolton to 'what did we call a flexible goalkeeping arrangement' when we were kids in under 60 posts.

Bolton? Don’t change the subject, Rob!

In St George it was drop backs - never heard of rush backs until I played 5-a-side with Essex boys many years later. Mind you, we never got out of St George much!

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Classic OTIB.

From the plight of Bolton to 'what did we call a flexible goalkeeping arrangement' when we were kids in under 60 posts.

Another 20 posts or so and we will move into fishy puns.