IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Will those of our fans who demand that we spend money we don't have and accuse Steve of using FFP as an excuse take note I wonder?

The club is owned by Steve who has shedloads of money unlike the people involved at either Bury or Bolton. Mel Morris has stuck two fingers up at FFP legally it appears.and whilst I don't see many demanding that Steve splashes the cash (i'm certainly not), the fact is whether you like it or not, he could if he really wanted to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

The club is owned by Steve who has shedloads of money unlike the people involved at either Bury or Bolton. Mel Morris has stuck two fingers up at FFP legally it appears.and whilst I don't see many demanding that Steve splashes the cash (i'm certainly not), the fact is whether you like it or not, he could if he really wanted to.

I'm afraid not, FFP is designed to prevent  owners simply pouring their money directly into fees and wages.

Steve has done that in the past and it ended in relegation. Phil Gartside did the same at Bolton and look at the state they are in. If you were a Bolton fan would you have been cheering him on?

Morris isn't a good example as he gambled and failed. Not a role model for anybody I would think.

Of course if you aren't bothered if we get into financial trouble again and have to sell assets to pay the bills that's a different matter. Personally I prefer a more responsible approach that doesn't put the club at risk.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You say that, but it was only last week people were saying we should spend 12 million on a striker

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm afraid not, FFP is designed to prevent  owners simply pouring their money directly into fees and wages.

Steve has done that in the past and it ended in relegation. Phil Gartside did the same at Bolton and look at the state they are in. If you were a Bolton fan would you have been cheering him on?

Morris isn't a good example as he gambled and failed. Not a role model for anybody I would think.

Of course if you aren't bothered if we get into financial trouble again and have to sell assets to pay the bills that's a different matter. Personally I prefer a more responsible approach that doesn't put the club at risk.

Silly response you should read posts more carefully

I said Steve could spend if he wanted to but I wasn't one of those asking for it.

He most certainly did not spend big in the past just allowed a succession of crap managers to spend badly.

I suspect Derby will finish above us next season incidentally and Morris is in for the long haul so missing promotion in May 19 isn't a disaster.

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You say that, but it was only last week people were saying we should spend 12 million on a striker

£12m isn't mental for a champ striker nowadays i'm afraid for any team aspiring to reach the promised land.

Not saying he should spend that, but if he wanted to he most certainly could. Comparing Bury and Bolton owners to ours was plain daft in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

£12m isn't mental for a champ striker nowadays i'm afraid for any team aspiring to reach the promised land.

Not saying he should spend that, but if he wanted to he most certainly could. Comparing Bury and Bolton owners to ours was plain daft in my opinion.

Mostly agree with this Loon- but it will be interesting to see if the cooling of the market this summer in the Championship (to date) is a bit of a one off or a sign of things to come.

Championship strikers and prolific ones to PL or top 4-5 European League clubs yeah- Championship proven or equivalent standard from another League to Championship- that might take a bit of a dip for a while, if this summer anything to go by. Highest fees paid for Zohore and Kalas, around £8-8.5m range- so far of course. Loans, or loans with options/obligations to buy or clever free transfers seem to be kicking in a bit more.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Silly response you should read posts more carefully

I said Steve could spend if he wanted to but I wasn't one of those asking for it.

He most certainly did not spend big in the past just allowed a succession of crap managers to spend badly.

I suspect Derby will finish above us next season incidentally and Morris is in for the long haul so missing promotion in May 19 isn't a disaster.

My mistake, apologies.

Derby are a bit of an unknown, depending on what players they bring in, having lost their loanees.

Morris has been gambling on promotion for more than the one season mind you. It is the cumulative effect of that that led to the ground sale to get them out of a hole of his making. If he gambles again and fails he doesn't have that fall back any more. It will be interesting to see how it pans out this year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

My comparison was with Phil Gartside, very much Bolton's Steve Lansdown at the time, who poured a fortune into the club but with an unsustainable model. He was both their benefactor and their downfall.

Edited by chinapig

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

My mistake, apologies.

Derby are a bit of an unknown, depending on what players they bring in, having lost their loanees.

Morris has been gambling on promotion for more than the one season mind you. It is the cumulative effect of that that led to the ground sale to get them out of a hole of his making. If he gambles again and fails he doesn't have that fall back any more. It will be interesting to see how it pans out this year.

You could well be right about Morris but I would be pleased to finish above them next season personally.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mostly agree with this Loon- but it will be interesting to see if the cooling of the market this summer in the Championship (to date) is a bit of a one off or a sign of things to come.

Championship strikers and prolific ones to PL or top 4-5 European League clubs yeah- Championship proven or equivalent standard from another League to Championship- that might take a bit of a dip for a while, if this summer anything to go by. Highest fees paid for Zohore and Kalas, around £8-8.5m range- so far of course. Loans, or loans with options/obligations to buy or clever free transfers seem to be kicking in a bit more.

Apart from the odd blunder we are getting better in the market I feel, so hope that LJ maybe has a gem or two still to amaze us with !

Just now, Loon plage said:

Fair do's mate

Not one of my favourite football people, and I recall with fondness when Martin Samuel ripped him a new one when he started promoting the idea of ringfencing.

Yes, a desperate move on his part precisely because he knew the financial danger he had created.

• Like 1