IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

sad times for anyone connected with the club, however financial mismanagement over a number of years has led to this predicament and there comes a time when the EFL have to call it a day.  With all the money they presumably trousered during their many years in the Premier League you have to wonder how on earth finances can get into that state - complete incompetence and the fans pay the ultimate price.  I know he gets some stick on occasion, but we should all be eternally thankful we have Steve Lansdown at the helm here

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Double the debts? 

Would still need a buyer

But maybe more of an attractive proposition to a potential buyer? 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Would you like to merge with Rovers if we were both struggling?

I ain't going to pretend I know what the rivalry is between Bolton and Bury, all I know is they are close geographically but have had contrasting footballing fortunes over the years so from the outside it doesn't appear they are fierce rivals.

It just seems strange that two clubs within a few miles of each other are both about to go out of existence yet the idea of merging hasn't come up.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And the EFL / PL too.

The PL won't give a monkey's. The EFL were warned this was coming 2 years ago and ignored it. I have little confidence they will do much more than rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/20/experts-warned-efl-two-years-ago-clubs-like-bolton-bury-faced/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

But are they? I know they're only just over 6 miles apart but Bolton's traditional rivals are Wigan. That rivalry extends beyond football. 

As someone who used to stay in a pub right next to Bury's  ground when I worked in greater Manchester, trust me when I say yes they are. 

Edited by BS3_RED
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Plus the M6 is a longer road to find a parking space than Muller Road.

Perfect. They need lots more parking space to cater for them all. 

They could then all take a leisurely stroll to the ground, up the wrong side of the M6..!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rovers really are missing a trick here (unless negotiations/bullying are already underway)

It’s the perfect opportunity for them to steal another ground and #### off out of Bristol..!

I’m sure once the pikeys hear that the ground is up for grabs they’ll be parking up their caravans on the centre circle 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, myol'man said:

and remember that Phil Gartside wanted to create Premier League 1&2 with no promotion or relegation from the EFL.

Now we see why. 

Shame is, one week of the salary that the Chinese were going to pay Bale would save Bolton and Bury. 

Football is very broken. 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Thats like saying the same in Bristol for City and the sags. Theyre the same...RIVALS. 

This is spot on. While Bolton fans don't want to see Bury go bust, there is most certainly no love lost between the 2 sets of supporters. A Bolton fan in work just wants to see his club survive, whatever league they're in.

Like BS3, I spend a lot of time in Manchester and work with both Bolton and Bury fans and they most certainly don't like each other. 

• Like 1

I dont have sympathy for any team signing big names and paying shed loads of money like bolton did whilst in the prem and now are going to collapse. The fans were happy to attend games then, playing likes of Liverpool and arsenal but now they play bristol rovers fans (i use that term loosely) arent interested and the club still struggling after meltdown from the premier league. and paying people like jay jay okocha amongst others £50k a week and that was back then about 75k in todays football money(not real life inflation)

Edited by Redwhitepurple
More

1 minute ago, Redwhitepurple said:

I dont have sympathy for any team signing big names and paying shed loads of money like bolton did whilst in the prem and now are going to collapse. The fans were happy to attend games then, playing likes of Liverpool and arsenal but now they play bristol rovers fans arent interested and the club still struggling after meltdown from the premiere league and paying people like jay jay okocha £50k a week and that was bag then about 75k in todays money

I do have sympathy for the fans.

Nobody wants to see another club go out of business, not matter how it occurred.

As we’ve been so close to folding ourselves, we can relate to their struggles in so many ways. Sad day for football this

• Like 2