IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

One thing bugging me , though it seems irrelevant now, some weeks back I’m sure I heard in a discussion about Burys woes that I heard Bury were paying some of their players , and forwards were mentioned £10k a week, last season , in League Two !

Am I imagining this or has anyone else heard or read about their wages last year

(Noticeably Jermaine Beckford was there and yesterday announced retirement )

If true ........it beggars belief 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Two seasons ago I tweeted “Bury are going for it big time!”, some of the players they signed looked out of kilter with their standing!  So wouldn’t surprise me. 

Re contracts. Jack Rodwell’s contract allegedly had a 12 month wage reduction deferral in case they went straight back up. Hence he was still on £70k per week when they got relegated to Lg1 ?

I wouldn't imagine that Mickey Naynard would have worked for peanuts, he would have wanted compensation for any accent his child picked up for a start.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PhilC said:

I am so so angry about this...

The day after Burys tragic expulsion and I am still utterly fuming about this. And I am actually very sad to the point I shed a slight tear last night. (Yes I can be an emotional softie but I've had previous problems that probably magnify my emotions)

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's taken a moment to think about a life without Bristol City. Its unthinkable.

7 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

The EFL really need to admit/take some responsibility for this.

How it ever got to the point where this could be allowed to happen needs investigating.

I completely agree mate. I've been discussImg this with my dad in great length over the weekend and I have mentioned your name on a couple of occasions. (He's an occasional OTIB reader).  We are on the same page. The EFL should be held fully accountable for this. Bury should never have been in this position in the first place. its ****ing ridiculous.

Did I mention I'm fuming?

Edited by PhilC
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We are on Sky Sports on Saturday, considering what we went through in 82 surely us as fans should be doing something on the day to show our support for both Bury and Bolton?

Agreed. I really hope we get a few chants going to show our support for Bury and disgust at the EFL. I'll be doing all I can.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

For me Bristol City is more than just a football club.

My father passed away when I was very young so I never really had a relationship with him. He was a huge Bristol City fan. So when I was old enough to start attending games I suddenly felt as if I had rediscovered some sort of relationship with him. 

I grew up on a council estate, times were hard, I suffered unimaginable bullying, going to Ashton Gate every other week was my escape, the bullies happened to be Rovers fans!

I've lost friends, family members etc and been through various roblems in life. I'm living a rather settled and content life these days, I don't know how much Bristol City has played a part in that but I'm sure it's played it's part.

I sadly lost my mother this March. We went on a mini run after her death which really helped. I remember the first home game since her death at home to Wigan. I remember being there and feeling as if everything had changed but at the same time nothing had changed, that was quite a reassuring feeling to have. When we scored our two goals that day I cried.

My mother is now burried at South Bristol Cemetery so going to Ashton Gate now has a far deeper meaning, as you can see Ashton Gate from her grave I now feel as if she is watching down on me and us. My connection to Bristol City suddenly feels much stronger. 

I sound a bit silly don't I but the one constant in my life has and hopefully always will be, is Bristol City FC. It is more than just a football club.

I share my story because it's not a unique story to me, every single football fan will have their own stories. I saw on the news earlier people talking about their parents ashes being scattered on the Gigg Lane pitch and that really hit me because they got out of going to Bury games what I get out of going to Bristol City games, and I know how I would feel if I ever lost that so I can really feel their pain.

Stop it, you'll set me off again...

I saw the bit about ashes being scattered in the goalmouth at Gigg Lane. When I go, this is what I want at Ashton Gate. I agree, it's not just a football club, it's my life.

• Like 1

Steve Dale (who passed the fit and proper owner test) commenting on their expulsion on BBC:

"I never went to Bury. It’s not a place I frequented,’ Dale told 5 Live.

‘So for me to walk away from Bury and never go back is a very easy thing to do.

‘I don’t do anything up there. I didn’t even know there was a football team called Bury to be honest with you.

‘I’m not a football fan.’

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Steve Dale (who passed the fit and proper owner test) commenting on their expulsion on BBC:

‘I don’t do anything up there. I didn’t even know there was a football team called Bury to be honest with you.

Was from a few days ago I think.

He's one of many owners, past and present who should never be allowed or have been allowed near a football club.

Excellent piece, seems to either be quoting or by Andy Holt.

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/17856447.accrington-owner-andy-holt-calls-efl-wake-problems/

Also struck me reading comments beneath- £440 per hour for administrators?

19 hours ago, chinapig said:

Another well thought out piece, this time from Four Four Two. Warning: not for those with short attention spans!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/what-english-football-can-learn-disasters-bolton-and-bury-so-they-cant-happen-again

A point I had missed was that Debbie Jevans is a temporary appointment. Can't say I am convinced that the EFL will not appoint another Shaun Harvey in due course. The loose regulation suits too many owners I fear and there will be resistance to any attempts by Jevans to introduce proper governance.

To emphasise my point about the EFL, the following is taken from the Guardian:

David Conn tweets. He’s been talking to Debbie Jevans and the Football League’s executive chair says she’s “devastated” by the her organisation’s decision to expel Bury from the Football League. But no so devastated that she’s prepared to do anything to stop it happening other clubs beyond making vague noises about asking them to control their costs. Good luck with that, Debbie!

More from David Conn: “There is no commitment to independent regulation, nor to any form of investigation into the details of what has happened at Bury,” he says, following his chat with Jevans.

“She says they will receive information from C & N Sporting Risk who did due diligence, and then consider any further action or investigation. The EFL is conducting a governance review, which will examine the ‘fit and proper persons’ owners and directors test and the financial regulations; she declined to make any suggestions herself for reforms it should consider.”

Conclusion: Going by what Jevans says, it seems that unless their hand is forced, the EFL will do precisely nothing to get their house in something approaching order in the wake of Bury’s expulsion.

More than half of the 71 remaining league clubs outside the Premier League are living beyond their means and with the turkeys who run many of them extremely unlikely to vote for Christmas, what happened to Bury will inevitably happen to other clubs. Lots of other clubs.

30 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

.... and here it is - it makes me so angry ...

• Flames 1

On 26/08/2019 at 19:17, MarcusX said:

Do we just say this every time a club goes under, until the next time? Nothing’s changing within football and if anything the spending/gambling on promotion is getting more reckless

My point was since 1992, 27 years ago, there have been many instances of EFL clubs going to the brink, but then a late rescue deal comes in and they survive. So perhaps, now it has actually happened, it may help to bring about a stark reminder that not every time can the rod be pulled from the fire, which might help silly financial risks being taken in future. 

The only surefire way to solve it- and I mean surefire- is to ensure clubs cannot make a loss of any kind, save for infrastructure investments that can't be clawed back by a chairman whose interest wanes. Break Even save for infrastructure etc or NO license. Problem is, who would vote for that?

@Super That's really spookily similar to Accrington 1962 if accurate, having done a bit of reading into that- Football League didn't do the right thing in 1962 with that potential offer...

Back to now, this might be the story I linked earlier developing I think. Hope somehow it will work for Bury!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

For me Bristol City is more than just a football club.

My father passed away when I was very young so I never really had a relationship with him. He was a huge Bristol City fan. So when I was old enough to start attending games I suddenly felt as if I had rediscovered some sort of relationship with him. 

I grew up on a council estate, times were hard, I suffered unimaginable bullying, going to Ashton Gate every other week was my escape, the bullies happened to be Rovers fans!

I've lost friends, family members etc and been through various roblems in life. I'm living a rather settled and content life these days, I don't know how much Bristol City has played a part in that but I'm sure it's played it's part.

I sadly lost my mother this March. We went on a mini run after her death which really helped. I remember the first home game since her death at home to Wigan. I remember being there and feeling as if everything had changed but at the same time nothing had changed, that was quite a reassuring feeling to have. When we scored our two goals that day I cried.

My mother is now burried at South Bristol Cemetery so going to Ashton Gate now has a far deeper meaning, as you can see Ashton Gate from her grave I now feel as if she is watching down on me and us. My connection to Bristol City suddenly feels much stronger. 

I sound a bit silly don't I but the one constant in my life has and hopefully always will be, is Bristol City FC. It is more than just a football club.

I share my story because it's not a unique story to me, every single football fan will have their own stories. I saw on the news earlier people talking about their parents ashes being scattered on the Gigg Lane pitch and that really hit me because they got out of going to Bury games what I get out of going to Bristol City games, and I know how I would feel if I ever lost that so I can really feel their pain.

I love your passion for Bristol City that comes through very clearly from your words and the obvious importance of our club to your life ... so, given that, I still just can’t understand your support for football clubs merging with others that you’ve set out a couple of times earlier in this thread. It seems a contradictory stance after the great stuff you’ve written above ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

An international consortium has £7m in the bank and is ready to complete a takeover of Bury, if the EFL agrees to reinstate the club, Sky Sports News understands.

I hope this comes to light but I can imagine the EFL declining stating a deadline was set and we are sticking by our decision... here's to hoping the EFL use some common sense!

4 minutes ago, Sturman 1 said:

I hope this comes to light but I can imagine the EFL declining stating a deadline was set and we are sticking by our decision... here's to hoping the EFL use some common sense!

Didn't in 1962 with Accrington- more enlightened times now?

IF bona fide, worth one more crack I think.

5 minutes ago, Sturman 1 said:

I’m not sure. The company’s common sense would’ve been to turn up this time yesterday...

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It was a last ditch bid it appears.

Plus of course, the chance to try to get the best possible price, debt reduction, desperation etc etc- bit of brinkmanship thrown in there?

If you turn up the day after a club's been thrown out of the Football League claiming to be a white knight, you haven't done a great job of saving the day.

I'd be very sceptical. Romantically it'd be brilliant but being a dispassionate bastard for a moment, it's pretty poor.

Edited by Robin1988
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

If you turn up the day after a club's been thrown out of the Football League claiming to be a white knight, you haven't done a great job of saving the day.

I'd be very sceptical. Romantically it'd be brilliant but being a dispassionate bastard for a moment, it's pretty poor.

I could be getting the late offers mixed up.

There is a story from this morning that a company called SJ Global had deposited money.

It CAN happen though doubtful- in 1962, Accrington Stanley put in their notice to withdraw from League. Withdrawal accepted- not long after, maybe a few days someone came in and deposited £10,000 (in cash back then, not now) which was around 1/4 of their total debt, to be paid back whenever suits the club but importantly their more pressing debt was £4,000. Still the proof was there in the actual money- over to the Football League if they would but reverse the decision.

They did not. Accrington Stanley limped on for 4 more years before going bust. Reformed 1968 and eventually, brilliantly returned in their new guise in 2006 replacing Oxford- the very side who replaced them.

My point is though it seems unlikely, there could be something in it. SJ Global International, provided it is the same company.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/28/head-efl-rules-reprieve-expelled-bury/

Debbie Jevans, the EFL's executive chair, said there is no appeal process to force the governing body in to a U-turn, despite SJ Global International's claims that it had transferred funds to buy the club by 9am on Wednesday.

SJ Global are said to be planning to launch an appeal on the basis of claims the league misunderstood preparations to transfer funds. Jill Neville, the club secretary, reportedly took a call from the EFL late on Tuesday night telling her the £7million funds from SJ Global had been rescinded.

No idea what's happened with fonts, text size etc.

Bit more on it- 1am, EFL supposedly aware of it at 23.05 Tuesday night.

The Accrington Stanley of this era?

It does sound great @Mr Popodopolous but even if they were aware at 11.05pm, the deadline was 5pm. If they turned up after that then they don't really have a leg to stand-on. If it is a mix-up then fair enough, but otherwise as much as we could say "It's only a few hours," that also works for any potential buyer that didn't turn up a few hours earlier....

I do get that yeah, but given the August Bank Holiday with the impact on business that can have, I'd have been inclined to extend one more day- it's hard to work out with so many claims and counterclaims though.

11th hour bid- like I say claims and counterclaims but perhaps it was seen as highly likely that the other bid would go through- perhaps (unlikely) one of the Directors is a Bury fan we really have no idea.

Looked it up and just dug this out.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2018/december/free-ifollow-video-new-chairman-steve-dale--director-matt-mccarthy/

Started watching about a minute in- it really has not aged well! Dale's opening press conference.

Totally yet unsurprisingly flies in the face of what he said the other day.