IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

• Admin
4 hours ago, phantom said:

Interesting to read this morning that Steve Dale received £115k in payments from Bury FC to himself this year

Coincidence?

A fraud investigation has been launched involving Bury Football Club, police have confirmed.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said it received a report of fraud on 18 June and inquiries were ongoing but no arrests had been made.

The club were expelled from the English Football League (EFL) on 27 August after a late takeover bid from C&N Sporting Risk failed.

Bury were the first club to drop out of the league since Maidstone in 1992.

The Greater Manchester club were members of the EFL for 125 years.

The allegation of fraud was made to GMP exactly one month before current owner Steve Dale reached a Company Voluntary Arrangement to repay the club's creditors 25% of the £9m they owed.

However, the arrangement was dependant on the Shakers being able to play their fixtures this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Coincidence?

A fraud investigation has been launched involving Bury Football Club, police have confirmed.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said it received a report of fraud on 18 June and inquiries were ongoing but no arrests had been made.

The club were expelled from the English Football League (EFL) on 27 August after a late takeover bid from C&N Sporting Risk failed.

The allegation of fraud was made to GMP exactly one month before current owner Steve Dale reached a Company Voluntary Arrangement to repay the club's creditors 25% of the £9m they owed.

However, the arrangement was dependant on the Shakers being able to play their fixtures this season.

Interesting.

So, is the CVA no longer valid and, if so, how does that affect 'SD's' new company's partial purchase of the debt?

Hopefully, one can but hope, SD has paid £70K for nothing. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Coincidence?

Is that why they expelled them then? The allegation of fraud. Hmm. Will be interesting how this pans out

Oh and to add to my post yesterday, about other ideas for the badly struggling clubs and collective responsibility of the game.

The big clubs in smaller ones for pre season friendlies and regularly ie each pre season. Not a lot to lose a bit of Far East exposure for a giant but potentially huge for a club like Bury, Macclesfield etc.

Eg Bury could host one or both of the Manchester clubs. Tranmere could host the Merseyside ones, on a more regular basis. Would be good.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Good news, I would hope very few clubs, if any would object to having Bury back in league two again next season.

Please let this happen. 

The English Football League is to discuss Bury's future with its member clubs following efforts to reinstate the Shakers in League Two next season.

Bury were expelled from the EFL on 27 August after a failed takeover bid by C&N Sporting Risk.

Bury North MP James Frith has called for the Shakers to re-enter in the fourth tier for the 2020-21 season.

Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Police has said it is investigating an allegation of fraud involving the club.

No arrests have been made and inquiries are ongoing.

In a statement, the EFL said the "only current established procedure" for entry to League Two is promotion through the National League.

However, it added that "in acknowledgement of the extreme nature of the problems" at Bury, the EFL board had "agreed it is appropriate to discuss the matter with member clubs" and those talks will take place in the coming weeks.

The statement concluded: "Prior to formal consideration by any league competition of an eventual application from Bury FC to return to league football, clear evidence would be required of the club's financial viability and its ability to fulfil its ongoing commitments."

At present, application for re-entry into the English league system must be submitted to the Football Association, which would then determine which division the club will play in.

Mr Frith is planning to put forward a proposal to the EFL, supported by Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham, by 20 September.

Bury's expulsion from League One means that three clubs, rather than four, will be relegated from the third tier this season and just one, instead of two, will go down from League Two.

In response to the combined efforts of supporters' groups, local authorities and politicians, the EFL clarified there is "no precedent for a club to enter the EFL directly through an application for admission or readmission following withdrawal of membership".

Bury should now press for reinstatement at League 1 level next season.

The EFL have obviously ****** up and are now backtracking.

Bury still have to get rid of Dale and get their finances in order but it gives them a lot of time to do that.

Excellent news.

Bury 1-0 EFL.

Interesting to note, looking online.

The fraud investigation reportedly NOT related to Steve Dale's time at the club, currently. The date is interesting. Pretty sure in one of his (many!) rambling rants he claimed something about an investigation a while ago.

It read: “On June 18 2019, police received a report of fraud involving Bury Football Club. No arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The English Football League is to discuss Bury's future with its member clubs following efforts to reinstate the Shakers in League Two next season.

Bury were expelled from the EFL on 27 August after a failed takeover bid by C&N Sporting Risk.

Bury North MP James Frith has called for the Shakers to re-enter in the fourth tier for the 2020-21 season.

Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Police has said it is investigating an allegation of fraud involving the club.

No arrests have been made and inquiries are ongoing.

In a statement, the EFL said the "only current established procedure" for entry to League Two is promotion through the National League.

However, it added that "in acknowledgement of the extreme nature of the problems" at Bury, the EFL board had "agreed it is appropriate to discuss the matter with member clubs" and those talks will take place in the coming weeks.

The statement concluded: "Prior to formal consideration by any league competition of an eventual application from Bury FC to return to league football, clear evidence would be required of the club's financial viability and its ability to fulfil its ongoing commitments."

At present, application for re-entry into the English league system must be submitted to the Football Association, which would then determine which division the club will play in.

Mr Frith is planning to put forward a proposal to the EFL, supported by Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham, by 20 September.

Bury's expulsion from League One means that three clubs, rather than four, will be relegated from the third tier this season and just one, instead of two, will go down from League Two.

In response to the combined efforts of supporters' groups, local authorities and politicians, the EFL clarified there is "no precedent for a club to enter the EFL directly through an application for admission or readmission following withdrawal of membership".

COYRs. I'm sure BCFC will do/say the right thing…

17 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

COYRs. I'm sure BCFC will do/say the right thing…

Did Ashton as part of the board not vote for expulsion?

I fear he did, but unsure- if it passed unanimously though then sadly he did!

However that was a specific event- I am sure if it comes to it we will do the right thing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Ashton as part of the board not vote for expulsion?

I fear he did, but unsure- if it passed unanimously though then sadly he did!

However that was a specific event- I am sure if it comes to it we will do the right thing!

Apparently (I don't how people know) it was unanimous. As you say, they were voting for a certain set of circumstances. 

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Apparently (I don't how people know) it was unanimous. As you say, they were voting for a certain set of circumstances. 

I thought the elf itself said it was unanimous - haven’t checked but was my understanding?

Hope Mr Ashton does vote to Bury into League 2 next year (resolved ownership issues hopefully aside). It won’t sit well with me, for one, if he is representing our club and it doesn’t happen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I thought the elf itself said it was unanimous - haven’t checked but was my understanding?

Hope Mr Ashton does vote to Bury into League 2 next year (resolved ownership issues hopefully aside). It won’t sit well with me, for one, if he is representing our club and it doesn’t happen

Yeah, think they did say that.

Didn't sit well with me that he quite likely voted for it, let's hope he votes correctly this time if the takeover etc credible- a vote of the 72 is a must though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I read somewhere that the EFL didn't arrange a meeting of the board, they phoned around giving the board members the info. Not a satisfactory way of deciding the future of a football club. I'm not surprised it was unanimous if that was the case.

Ashton represents the Championship on the board not BCFC but it now appears that all clubs will be canvassed for their opinion - which is what should have happened in the first place.

I think that Bury should insist on readmission to L1 with the points deduction as that is the division they were in when chucked out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I read somewhere that the EFL didn't arrange a meeting of the board, they phoned around giving the board members the info. Not a satisfactory way of deciding the future of a football club. I'm not surprised it was unanimous if that was the case.

Ashton represents the Championship on the board not BCFC but it now appears that all clubs will be canvassed for their opinion - which is what should have happened in the first place.

I think that Bury should insist on readmission to L1 with the points deduction as that is the division they were in when chucked out.

Shocking behaviour - if true! :redcard:

42 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That's even worse! I assumed it was a board meeting and then a decision- bad enough that in effect only several, was it 6 or 7 out of 72 clubs got a say but worse still.

Don't even think the board is sufficient, seems very odd- 72 clubs should've been a given, at an EGM.

48 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Shocking behaviour - if true! :redcard:

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's even worse! I assumed it was a board meeting and then a decision- bad enough that in effect only several, was it 6 or 7 out of 72 clubs got a say but worse still.

Don't even think the board is sufficient, seems very odd- 72 clubs should've been a given, at an EGM.

Allegedly votes were done by text and e-mails ! 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Allegedly votes were done by text and e-mails ! 

And a club with 125 years membership were voted out like that.

Regardless of the circumstances, that is obviously not the right way to do things.

I think someone posted the EFLs own regs earlier in the thread which indicate they have to call an EGM to take votes on expulsion. No wonder they are now back tracking.

Shambles.

• Like 3

Seemingly a statement by Bury- or is it Dale- too.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/september/request-to-our-former-fellow-clubs/

Plus, wasn't so aware, but a rescue board- includes a signed statement from Steve Dale that he intends to sell the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49776759

Sad day for Bury FC,- and for football- barring some last minute miracle. Case 87.

Little bit of background which slipped through the media unnoticed.

https://www.foreverbury.org/post/forever-bury-statement-14-10-2019

EHHH

Think I missed this post by Andy Holt.

"There was no vote". No guarantee they would've got back in but what a final indignity if accurate!!

RIP, Bury FC.

The statement reads the proposed buyer felt it was not viable to continue. In that case it will be better to let the club fold and perhaps reform again in the future? Although I am a bit surprised that a club in the Manchester area has actually folded, given the type of support it has for the game. If any club was to fold I would have considered a West Country club to do so where there is a greater support  for Rugby Union. OK we have stared down the barrel ourselves, and the Club have evolved as a business, not just as a Football Club, but embraced other sports too, and of course Rugby, very shrewd  is our Mr L.

• Admin

Bury Football Club has been given a 14-day reprieve after a winding-up petition brought by HM Revenue & Customs was adjourned in the High Court.

The Shakers, twice winners of the FA Cup, were expelled from the English Football League in August as a result of their financial problems.

Plans for a phoenix club have been ongoing and, should it be formed, it must apply to the Football Association for entry into the English non-league pyramid next season.