IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)

Judda

Brother in law who lives in Colchester, said today that he's heard rumours that Colchester "were in trouble and could fold/finish for good".

Just something that he's heard so not sure if there's anything to it, but could be the start of something much bigger happening at that level.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Taz said:

Brother in law who lives in Colchester, said today that he's heard rumours that Colchester "were in trouble and could fold/finish for good".

Just something that he's heard so not sure if there's anything to it, but could be the start of something much bigger happening at that level.

They have given a number of players notice that their short term contracts wont be extended - I guess from a clubs point of view having a player on a monthly contract that wont play is just burning money

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

They have given a number of players notice that their short term contracts wont be extended - I guess from a clubs point of view having a player on a monthly contract that wont play is just burning money

Spot on and the same will apply to many clubs. Have this feeling that the composition of the divisions next year will be a lot different to the way they are now.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Wouldn't have thought so and I haven't seen that discussed anywhere. I thought they had ceased to exist as a club anyway?

According to those articles, as a former League club who have been expelled they have the right to come in higher up the non League pyramid. So Conference or Conference North.

Bury AFC however as a prospective new club, will need to take their chances low down. North West Counties League I think. 

@winsleyred

Wouldn't have thought so, as Robin said. The logical outcome here IMO would be Barrow. Top of Conference, League has 71 clubs anyway. Seems relatively fair, not least as they were voted out in the 1970s I believe.

Debt on Gigg Lane is a clear and obvious issue, but the company who hold/held that debt have gone into administration so, who knows...

• Admin
7 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Wouldn't have thought so and I haven't seen that discussed anywhere. I thought they had ceased to exist as a club anyway?

3 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I think they still exist, just about. They we're expelled. If the season finishes early, they'll still be expelled. I hope they find a way back though.

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

According to those articles, as a former League club who have been expelled they have the right to come in higher up the non League pyramid. So Conference or Conference North.

Bury AFC however as a prospective new club, will need to take their chances low down. North West Counties League I think. 

@winsleyred

Wouldn't have thought so, as Robin said. The logical outcome here IMO would be Barrow. Top of Conference, League has 71 clubs anyway. Seems relatively fair, not least as they were voted out in the 1970s I believe.

Debt on Gigg Lane is a clear and obvious issue, but the company who hold/held that debt have gone into administration so, who knows...

Just found this article that kind of answers the points raised by @Robin 101 @Kingswood Robin@Mr Popodopolous

Bury AFC, set up by fans after the Shakers were expelled from the EFL, is one of 11 clubs to have applied for a spot in the North West Counties League.

Bury FC were removed from the English Football League in August after several months of financial problems.

The NWCFL said that clubs must meet certain criteria by 31 March to be considered for a 10th-tier place.

It is understood that Bury AFC have found a ground to play at next season which meets these requirements.

The NWCFL lists them as one of two new clubs applying to play in the league next season, the other being FC Isle of Man, with the other nine teams coming from lower down the non-league pyramid.

"This confirms our belief that we are the only team currently with an application in to play football in Bury next season," Bury AFC said on Twitter.

The league confirmed in December that an application had been made by the new club, which is unaffiliated to Bury FC.

At the time, prospective investor Robert Benwell said it would cost £600,000 to start a new club in the lower divisions of English football.

Last week Bury FC, which still exists as a company, defaulted on a plan to help settle its debts with creditors.

The Shakers were due to play in League One this season but their opening fixtures were postponed and their expulsion from the English Football League came after a last-ditch takeover bid collapsed.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51584394

• Thanks 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just found this article that kind of answers the points raised by @Robin 101 @Kingswood Robin@Mr Popodopolous

The NWCFL lists them as one of two new clubs applying to play in the league next season, the other being FC Isle of Man, with the other nine teams coming from lower down the non-league pyramid.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51584394

Ironically this report was published by the BBC today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52316690

This was supposed to be a big year for football on the Isle of Man.

Having applied to join the North West Counties League, where Fleetwood Town were champions 15 years ago on their climb to League One, FC Isle of Man were hoping to compete in English football's non-league system in 2020-21.

The community club, based on the island in the Irish Sea famous for hosting the annual TT international motorcycling event, was founded in 2019 with big ambitions.

Paul Jones, sporting director of FC Isle of Man, said the plan was to be in League Two "within 10 to 15 years".

Home games would be played at the Bowl, a 3,000-capacity multi-use venue in Douglas, the island's capital, where Arsenal's former Celtic defender Kieran Tierney was born.

But on 20 March came the news the Isle of Man had recorded its first cases of coronavirus. The Manx government closed its borders to non-residents to help prevent the spread of the pandemic and, as of 27 April, 308 people on the island had tested positive for the virus and there had been 20 deaths.

So what now for the new Manx club in lockdown, yet to play a game and desperate to make its mark on football in England?

'Bigger issues than football right now'

Before lockdown, FC Isle of Man were on track to enter the 10th tier of English football in August after the North West Counties League recommended the Football Association accept their application providing appropriate criteria is met.

One condition is that they pay the travel costs and overnight accommodation of all visiting teams and match officials - like Channel Islands clubs Guernsey (eighth tier) and Jersey Bulls (10th tier) have to do.

Home games in Douglas would kick off on Saturday evenings to minimise impact on the two-tier Isle of Man League, which consists of 26 clubs. FC Isle of Man chairman Gary Weightman predicted lots of interest in the new club from football fans on the island.

"Although there are a lot of clubs in Douglas, others on the island - such as Rushen United, Peel and Ramsey - are a big part of their communities," he said. "When we hosted Jersey in the FA Inter-League Cup final a few years ago we had 3,000 at the Bowl. We hope to get 1,100-1,500 people watching us initially."

With all football in England below the three divisions that make up the National League ending immediately on 26 March and all results expunged, and with no promotion or relegation taking place, FC Isle of Man have been left not knowing what the immediate future holds.

"It doesn’t seem likely that the non-league season will start in August," added Jones.

"Our island is locked down. There are bigger issues that need to be solved before the football team can travel on and off the island every week."

'It makes it personal when someone you know dies'

Life on the Isle of Man, like so many other places around the world, has completely changed over the past few weeks.

"We're pretty much at a standstill," added Weightman, a surveyor.

"There are 83,000 of us scattered around the island and the other day two people died with coronavirus. That's a big thing on an island of this size. If you don't know the person then you will probably know the face.

"One of the people who died was a police officer who I knew when I was involved in the police football team. It does make it personal. He always said 'hello' when we passed one another on the street."

According to the Isle of Man Today website, visitor numbers increased by 0.8% in 2018 to 308,263, while more than 46,000 travelled to the island while the 2019 TT races were taking place. Jones, who was born on the island, said the community feel safer now the borders are closed to non-residents.

"We're a very proud and close community that tends to look out for our own but that has been amplified in recent weeks," he added. "We think we might get through this a bit quicker than some other places."

Chris Bass is the first manager of FC Isle of Man, which is owned by Sporting Club Isle of Man and has the support of the Manx government and local businesses.

He landed the job after two decades managing St George's, the nine-time Isle of Man Premier League champions.

"I have a small landscaping and construction company," said Bass. "Yes, I'm suffering financially. I can't work and I haven't had any income for three weeks."

Streaming home games

When restrictions are lifted and life returns to some sort of normality, Jones is confident FC Isle of Man will be the place to showcase the best of the island's footballing talent.

In recent years, the island has produced countless individuals who have competed at the top level of sport. Mark Cavendish is a veteran of 30 stage wins at the Tour de France, while Peter Kennaugh, another cyclist, was the first Manxman in 100 years to win Olympic gold as part of the Great Britain men's pursuit team in 2012.

Shooter Tim Kneale is a Commonwealth silver medallist, while in Pyeongchang in 2018 Zoe Gillings-Brier became the first British snowboarder to compete at four Winter Olympics, reaching the quarter-finals.

Jones wants FC Isle of Man to contribute to the island's sporting success.

The team will initially be made up of players living on the island and recruitment will officially start in the summer.

By then a membership scheme aimed at raising funds for the club will have been launched. The annual £20 subscription will include the opportunity to access a live stream of all FC Isle of Man home games.

Jones hopes it will appeal to people from the island who are now living around the world and those who have a "soft spot" for the Isle of Man.

"If we can get 10,000 then that’s the budget close to being sorted," he said.

Bass believes there is talent on the island capable of playing in the professional game. In the past, promising Manx footballers have left to play in America.

"I'm hoping the launch of FC Isle of Man will stop players believing the United States is the be-all and end-all," added Bass.

How realistic is the new club's target of playing in the EFL in 15 years' time?

"People will look at it and go 'it's not going to happen, that's ridiculous'," added Jones.

"But why not? It might take 20 years, it might never happen.

"But if we can get to a point where FC Isle of Man showcases our island, pulls in more visitors, attracts more people to live here and more businesses to relocate, it will preserve our island for many generations."

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@winsleyred

NWCFL they have been accepted. I watch Cheadle Town quite often in that league for my son works there Saturdays as part of his uni course.

It is the same level Fleetwood, Fylde, Salford and FC United all started at.

Isle of Man have been accepted as well. It’s split North and South so will wait and see what half they go in. 
Trouble is if no clubs are promoted and relegated and restructuring has been halted by the FA it’s where and how they fit in for they are 1 of 11 clubs who have applied to join and were accepted ground dependant.

6 hours ago, Taz said:

Could well be.

This report, unsure if it's already been posted on here but interesting stuff certainly.

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/image/201920/governance-reviews/bury-review..pdf---adobe-acrobat-pro.pdf

Was about the demise into Bury but also reviews regarding governance etc- interesting stuff, was published in late February.

Read a bit of it myself so far but I wonder what the future of football, not just in the bottom 2 divisions but the EFL generally will look like.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Spot on and the same will apply to many clubs. Have this feeling that the composition of the divisions next year will be a lot different to the way they are now.

I think the old Div 3 north and south would be a good compromise depending on how many clubs are viable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

I think the old Div 3 north and south would be a good compromise depending on how many clubs are viable.

I say this every time this is suggested but, given the road network in this country, wouldn`t an east/west split be better? I suspect the likes of Exeter or Cheltenham can get to Rochdale or Accrington a lot easier than they can to Colchester or Cambridge.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I say this every time this is suggested but, given the road network in this country, wouldn`t an east/west split be better? I suspect the likes of Exeter or Cheltenham can get to Rochdale or Accrington a lot easier than they can to Colchester or Cambridge.

Unfortunately it will also come down to a numbers game, as you would need and equal divide of clubs.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I suppose a bit like when we used to play in the FL Trophy and Cambridge were in the south.

Someone somewhere will still be the 'wrong' side of the line due to an imbalance of numbers, a bit like Gloucester City who play in the national league north, yet Oxford play in the south, as did Worcester City before they were relegated.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2020 at 23:01, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Taz mentioned Colchester and possibly that they were quite well run?

Well, some weekly wages from League One may shed a bit more light on their position- I'd have to see if there is a graphic for all clubs at that level but quite high!

EW4ChLAWoAUSBTF?format=jpg&name=large

Those are league 2 wages.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Those are league 2 wages.

Indeed they are.

Found the full link- I'm wondering how credible the figures are in some ways, whether it's been a crude wage bill vs players, I dunno.

Anyway...

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-two

Make of it what you will. Assuming it's for 2018/19, but Bury have been unable to submit accounts due to their ongoing issues so I assume it'd be for 2017/18- you might be interested in that @havanatopia .

Seems to me that the bulk of the damage was done pre Dale, but that frying pan and fire spring to mind.

He's still going!

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/latest-statement-07-08-2020/august/club-update/

It should read 27th August 2020 ie 27-08-2020 but dated wrong!

Couple more for good measure.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/latest-statement-07-08-2020/august/club-statement-august-2020/

Oddly, the one on the 10th is also dated as the 7th in the URL!

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/latest-statement-07-08-2020/august/statement-from-the-chairman/

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

He can't be well, that's not even a C in GCSE English. In fact, it's probably a fail. How did he make his money again?

Is it a tactic - if you eschew all grammar then when your ramblings are questioned you can simply say "well, if you read it more carefully, it all makes sense". However, as you've not written it according to "the so-called rules", in fact no-one will ever be able to fully decipher your writing. Thus you are able to use this ambiguity as a shield to cover your madness.

Their owner/chairman/someone appears to be having a meltdown on the official website. (Note this is not the Phoenix club, this is the original.)

Starts off a bit ranty then goes off at the deep end ?

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/latest-statement-07-08-2020/august/club-update/

Edited by Basil Fawlty

It's Steve Dale surely.

Day of writing, is a year since they got kicked from the Football League, sad day.

He has a point sometimes, about the EFL and FA in general terms but then even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I mean across his varied statements, not this one in isolation. Not that he expresses it clearly and coherently at all!

However what he has basically is a shell of a club. He has the website, he has Gigg Lane and er, what else??

He's owner/Chairman of...er well, of what exactly!