Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Bolton / Bury On The Brink (Merged)


Recommended Posts

On 12/08/2019 at 20:26, The Horse With No Name said:

I notice on their website that Bury offer half price, £10 instead of £20 tickets to all matches, to all serving military personnel , and all past served military, as well as all serving police, ambulance and fire service personnel. While a very worthy gesture, that must have cost them a packet every season.

On the other hand, as with all discounts, you could argue that it attracts people who would pay £10, but not £20, so they figure they’re getting something instead of nothing. It can work either way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 14:26, The Horse With No Name said:

I notice on their website that Bury offer half price, £10 instead of £20 tickets to all matches, to all serving military personnel , and all past served military, as well as all serving police, ambulance and fire service personnel. While a very worthy gesture, that must have cost them a packet every season.

Military personnel must have looked at that offer of cheap-priced, poor quality, League 2 football and made the gates-opening on a match-day at Gigg Lane look like the Normandy landings (without the machine gun nests, one hopes)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 19:49, Red Right Hand said:

Some hope for Bury it seems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49324224

I think the problem is that the owner says h e is willing to sell...but he wants any new owner to pay all the debts, settle all the bills including all creditors, HMRC, back wages and "compensate' him for all the money he's put in during his ownership. IE he wants to walk away having not lost anything.

If you buy a loss making L2 club. I don't think you can expect your ownership to cost you nothing - who does he think he is ....Wael Al Quadi ?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Could any of these struggling teams merge? 

Bolton is right next to Bury, but given the proximity the suggestion is probably as popular as the evergreen "Why not merge with Rovers and create Bristol United" one. Also, which league would they play in?

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bolton is right next to Bury, but given the proximity the suggestion is probably as popular as the evergreen "Why not merge with Rovers and create Bristol United" one. Also, which league would they play in?

Yeah was just thinking both teams have a real chance of going under. If they merged and say used Boltons ground, sell Burys for some finance. Would give a higher attendance for home games. In reality I know its highly unlikely and complicated. 

On that subject has any professional clubs merged. I guess some did a long time ago but in recent history? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Yeah was just thinking both teams have a real chance of going under. If they merged and say used Boltons ground, sell Burys for some finance. Would give a higher attendance for home games. In reality I know its highly unlikely and complicated. 

On that subject has any professional clubs merged. I guess some did a long time ago but in recent history? 

None i can think of in our lifetime.

Lots of non-league clubs have: the late Rushden & Diamonds being a good example, but not professionals.

Of course go back far enough and most clubs were formed by mergers. Including our beloved City.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

None i can think of in our lifetime.

Lots of non-league clubs have: the late Rushden & Diamonds being a good example, but not professionals.

Of course go back far enough and most clubs were formed by mergers. Including our beloved City.

Didn`t the league say it wasn`t allowed when the crook Maxwell wanted to merge Reading and Oxford into Thames Valley Royals?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Didn`t the league say it wasn`t allowed when the crook Maxwell wanted to merge Reading and Oxford into Thames Valley Royals?

I think you might be right there, RRH. That may be the last attempted merger of professional league clubs.

I think it was as popular with both sets of fans as a lump of cold sick, too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2019 at 14:19, paul_fox said:

Could any of these struggling teams merge? 

I understand an economic case for it but the only realistic merger IMO would be 2 struggling clubs from the same city/town in some ways- actually not even realistic, remote.

Two clubs each important to community- Bury are I'd have thought given size of club pretty close to community, couldn't see that happening tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

 

Thanks for sharing.  Very frustrating interview because I think both TalkSport and Steve Dale were asking and answering different Qs.  Dale adamant that PFA are paying 50% of the wages to players under the agreement that Dale pays them back.

The question that wasn't asked was is anyone paying the other 50%.

I suspect that is a large proportion of people in this country who would "go under" if they were only paid half their wages for 6 months.  Footballers down in Lg1/2 are not earning stupid amounts, some are and they drag the average up.  A good percentage won't be and they'll have large commitments, e.g. mortgages etc.  Its quite possible in Dawson's case that he's already defaulted on mortgage, loan, lease payments.

The lack of empathy and belief by Dale is shocking.  I appreciate he's been stitched up when buying the club, but to keep going on about whether Dawson has been paid, but not specifically whether Dawson has been paid in full, shows him in a very poor light.

Whilst in some ways the odd club needs to go bust to make other clubs rein in their spending, the likes of Bury, serving a community, is not the club to made others think harder.

It's a mess, same with Bolton and others....and the EFL are not doing anyone any favours.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Bolton / Bury merged? Well, what good is that going to do?

Share the playing staff, only one ground to maintain etc.

To avooid either club closing, if they were prepared to accept a drop in standards, the playing staff could go part time like much of the Scottish, Welsh and NI clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, italian dave said:

Bolton’s next match postponed because of ‘welfare concerns’ for their young players. 

Ridiculous if you ask me, if any of the were under the age of 16 I’d tend to agree but if you were to personally ask any of these young uns playing for Bolton I guarantee the majority if not all of them will be over the moon at playing such a standard for their age and imo will only stand them in good stead in their careers. Didn’t see no organisation on my employers case about me overworking when working 6 days a week when I was 17.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a complete shambles.  It feels like sadly Bury are going to be kicked out, which would be a tragedy for a club that has a decent history. I feel that Bolton will limp on but you might as well put (R) by their name in the league table now.

If Bury get kicked out I hope the EFL stump up to cover the lost match revenue as it is a lot for clubs like Burton and Accrington

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Loderingo said:

What a complete shambles.  It feels like sadly Bury are going to be kicked out, which would be a tragedy for a club that has a decent history. I feel that Bolton will limp on but you might as well put (R) by their name in the league table now.

If Bury get kicked out I hope the EFL stump up to cover the lost match revenue as it is a lot for clubs like Burton and Accrington

I'm not sure how to link it, but there is a really sad video of an 85 year old Bury fan that has no access to any social media / online etc.

So every day he is walking to the ground to check the club still exist, it's heartbreaking to see this chap absolutely broken that "his team" are on the verge of being no more

  • Like 3
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

It’s ok calling the game off saying player welfare, but they told the league they could fulfil there fixtures. It’s only now they decide knowing full well start of season the squad they had to decide on player welfare. 

More than likely after losing 5 0 Saturday they don’t want a repeat.

Am i the only one who is finding this under 18 not being able to play a bit insane? Some lads their age are working 50/60 hour weeks etc to provide for families.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...