IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou

Superjack

It says 'start new topic', but I guess it is old ground really. I'm going to go there anyway though. 

I rate him. A lot. I really do. 

Sadly I don't think that we will ever see his full potential for us. I really would like to see him played in a front two all season. 

I genuinely think that those of you who criticise would be made to eat your words. 

He will probably go somewhere else before he is fully appreciated here. 

And no, I am not Famara Diedhiou or a relative of.

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

It says 'start new topic', but I guess it is old ground really. I'm going to go there anyway though. 

Sadly I don't think that we will ever see his full potential for us. I really would like to see him played in a front two all season. 

I genuinely think that those of you who criticise would be made to eat your words. 

He will probably go somewhere else before he is fully appreciated here. 

And no, I am not Famara Diedhiou or a relative of.

He gets a lot of unwarranted stick, can remember in the Derby home game he had 2 defenders pulling him back and managed to knock the ball on for someone. But because his knock on was half a yard too heavy (something that would have been covered had the chasing players anticipation been a bit sharper) Diedhiou was subjected to a load of abuse from a few blokes behind me.

That said I don't think he's a striker for a team chasing autos

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He gets a lot of unwarranted stick, can remember in the Derby home game he had 2 defenders pulling him back and managed to knock the ball on for someone. But because his knock on was half a yard too heavy (something that would have been covered had the chasing players anticipation been a bit sharper) Diedhiou was subjected to a load of abuse from a few blokes behind me.

That said I don't think he's a striker for a team chasing autos

Are we a team chasing autos tho because proven strikers like that will cost us 3 times more than we paid for him and that is before the wages 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are we a team chasing autos tho because proven strikers like that will cost us 3 times more than we paid for him and that is before the wages 

What proven strikers are there though?

Pukki wasn't proven at this level, Sharp had largely failed in the Championship before the last couple of seasons.

And before Assombalonga gets mentioned by someone his best season in the Championship is 15 I believe- Diedhiou got 14 while missing 3 months injured. 

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

What proven strikers are there though?

Pukki wasn't proven at this level, Sharp had largely failed in the Championship before the last couple of seasons.

And before Assombalonga gets mentioned by someone his best season in the Championship is 15 I believe- Diedhiou got 14 while missing 3 months injured. 

Vydra- £10m, admittedly wages higher but if he's available he would be a good trade upwards IMO- that said I think Diedhiou is not bad.

Diedhiou has looked good this pre-season though, last 2 games- well 1 and a half. The goals, all taken quite nicely- still early days but a '2' could certainly get more out of him I think.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Vydra- £10m, admittedly wages higher but if he's available he would be a good trade upwards- that said I think Diedhiou is not bad.

But how much did he cost when he wasn't proven? Wasn't £10m then was it?

That's the player the club is looking for.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

But how much did he cost when he wasn't proven? Wasn't £10m then was it?

That's the player the club is looking for.

With you now, know what you're getting at. Pukki was from a rather higher background than some perceived unknown then, you referenced him in another post- @BobBobSuperBob covered it the other day.

Perhaps it was jjt who I meant to reply to- anyway if Nixon correct a few weeks back, Vydra £10m. Nkietah loan may well be the best bet? One way could be Nketiah loan, plus Vydra- sell Taylor and Diedhiou, wholesale upgrade and profit realised in one fell swoop- Diedhiou having a strong pre-season helps put him in the shop window a bit, if we're thinking that way.

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

Sadly I don't think that we will ever see his full potential for us. I really would like to see him played in a front two 

Super jack is properly entitled to his view. Mine is the is different

Last season he had the odd  really good game where he stood out (WBA home example) and it is that level he has to reach consistently. If LJ continues with one main striker then he is not that man , in that role, in my view. 

That said it’s a new season and who knows?  Might start off like a good one and get on a roll.  I would have thought if he was being traded it would have happened by now

We've been wrong about a 'striker' before. Bobbie Reid had a good pre-season and 12 months later he was playing in the Prem and we had £10M in the bank.

Staying injury and suspension free will be crucial but I think with Diedhiou we will see a better player again this August. His interviews show his progress with spoken English and last season we saw a number of times when he tried to get the fans fired up. The bloke clearly cares and as much as any other, he is a confidence player.

Fam might not be the whole answer to our goal scoring requirements but I actually think we got a bargain for £5.3M.

10 minutes ago, Xiled said:

We've been wrong about a 'striker' before. Bobbie Reid had a good pre-season and 12 months later he was playing in the Prem and we had £10M in the bank.

Staying injury and suspension free will be crucial but I think with Diedhiou we will see a better player again this August. His interviews show his progress with spoken English and last season we saw a number of times when he tried to get the fans fired up. The bloke clearly cares and as much as any other, he is a confidence player.

Fam might not be the whole answer to our goal scoring requirements but I actually think we got a bargain for £5.3M.

Agree. And people say he can't finish but he now has 3 in 2 halfs of football, and 2 of those finishes were real quality.

Actually I have become convinced that this is "his season".  Properly settled, fit, players around him that can provide the chances, either new or coming good themselves and maybe putting himself in the window for a lucrative move to another country. I think a new song will also invigorate him.

All together now......  boomm bbooboo boom My Famara

He has had a lot of stick for poor control of the ball. From what I have seen so far this pre-season, that has been much better. He also has begun to pick a pass when in possession.

Yes, it's only pre-season, but he looks like a proper striker. Who else has done that for us so far?

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually I have become convinced that this is "his season".  Properly settled, fit, players around him that can provide the chances, either new or coming good themselves and maybe putting himself in the window for a lucrative move to another country. I think a new song will also invigorate him.

All together now......  boomm bbooboo boom My Famara

It is a shame he missed so many of the season before. That could have been his season. I reckon he would have hit over 20, but at the very least he would have got close to it.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It is a shame he missed so many of the season before. That could have been his season. I reckon he would have hit over 20, but at the very least he would have got close to it.

Was it you or another poster that pointed out how many of those misses hit the woodwork? 

I know it’s still a miss, but often it’s inches and it could easily swing the other way for him.

Don't really care about his ball control if he can stick it in the net. Which he does pretty well.

I honestly don't think you can get better for 5m, unless you are taking a risk on another foreign player.

Proven championship strikers are playing for premier league teams or our direct rivals, they are not just sitting at home wairing for the phone to ring. 

We need to keep famara and invest in a off the shoulder pacey striker to support him. And score more goals from midfield to take the burden off him.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Vydra- £10m, admittedly wages higher but if he's available he would be a good trade upwards IMO- that said I think Diedhiou is not bad.

Diedhiou has looked good this pre-season though, last 2 games- well 1 and a half. The goals, all taken quite nicely- still early days but a '2' could certainly get more out of him I think.

And is Vydra actually all that in the Championship?

He's obviously a decent player, but proven 20 goals? No.

He got 20 in 41 in his first season in the Championship

Then 16 in 42

3 in 31

5 in 33

and 21 in 40.

That is 65 in 189

A goal every three games. (2.9 games to be exact)

Diedhiou, 26 in 73, a goal every 3 games (every 2.8 games to be exact)

Even looking at their whole careers (granted played in very different leagues) Diedhiou has scored more goals in 40 odd less games.

Does anyone know how many shots he had and therefore what his ratio was. Of the top 10 strikers in Europe last season was Mauro Icardi at 3.48 shots per goal. Ronaldo was at 6.85 shots per goal, Harry Lane was at 6.13, Messi at 5.79 and Suarez and Salah at 4.84 and 4.5 respectively. https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-the-conversion-rate-of-the-top-10-scorers-in-europe/

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was it you or another poster that pointed out how many of those misses hit the woodwork? 

I know it’s still a miss, but often it’s inches and it could easily swing the other way for him.

Was going to post something similar myself.

Someone said that Diedhiou missed the most big chances of anyone in the Championship (or something along those lines).

The flip side is twofold- he is getting into the positions to get those chances and we as a club are creating the chances.

If Diedhiou is hitting the woodwork quite frequently then that's far better than if he was shanking all his efforts. He is obviously aiming for the right places- just inside the post, and tat accuracy when finishing is something he can work on. Not inconceivable that he could score 3-4 more next season just from a slight improvement on his accuracy.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Might have been me. 2 or 3 of those times he hit the woodwork he was running away from goal and somehow got power on it to nearly score. I bet the stat that he missed the most great chances have those in there, even though they were barely chances. I think that happened twice in the same game? Stoke maybe? Can't remember.

Diedhiou has his limitations and his poor games but he's reasonably consistent imo.

As we get better I think he'll get better and with better strikers around him I think he'll get 15+ goals this season if he's involved a similar amount.

18 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Don't really care about his ball control if he can stick it in the net. Which he does pretty well.

I honestly don't think you can get better for 5m, unless you are taking a risk on another foreign player.

Proven championship strikers are playing for premier league teams or our direct rivals, they are not just sitting at home wairing for the phone to ring. 

We need to keep famara and invest in a off the shoulder pacey striker to support him. And score more goals from midfield to take the burden off him.

I posted a link to the top scorers in the Championship last season and asked people to say which of the ones with 20*+ we could realistically get. No responses of course but still the demand for a proven 20+ goal striker persists in some quarters.

*Tip: 2 have already moved to the PL, 2 are with promoted clubs, 2 have gone back to their PL clubs and the remaining 3 are likely to be sold to PL clubs.

He was absolutely flying last pre-season fwiw and a I know a few people were quite confused as to why he didn't carry that on into the season. Perhaps the 6 game suspension.

Hopefully he does this time round.

With our team always getting better and hopefully some good strike partners with him he can get 15+ for the first time. 

He could become the first player to get 50 goals for us for ages (Since?).

A lot of people were speculating that reported interest in Moore was to compete with Diedhiou for the "big man" role.  I think actually if we signed a player like that there'd be a good chance of playing the two together and with a bit more freedom to find space in the box and worry less about leading the line Diedhiou could be a good goalscorer.

16 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He could become the first player to get 50 goals for us for ages (Since?).

Did Baldock get to 50?

On Fam. Watched him closely yesterday (and will again today). He was playing in a manner that reminded me of Berbatov. Calm, conserving energy, but bursting into life when needed. Szmodics and Weimann buzz around him and create space that Fam needs. Nice finish as well. 

Archived