IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou

Superjack

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He was absolutely flying last pre-season fwiw and a I know a few people were quite confused as to why he didn't carry that on into the season. Perhaps the 6 game suspension.

Hopefully he does this time round.

With our team always getting better and hopefully some good strike partners with him he can get 15+ for the first time. 

He could become the first player to get 50 goals for us for ages (Since?).

Scott Murray has 91 from 2 stints (Reading in between), previously to that Lee Peacock with 63.

Top Goalscorers (Source official site)

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Sadly a lot of people with no understanding as to the role Fammy played last year - not his ideal one and still got a good return. 

He got a lot of abuse for a guy who gets around 15 goals a season in a tough league. 

The stick he gets is disproportionate for sure. Given the level we are at it's a bit unrealistic to expect the perfect all round striker perhaps.

Some fans always need a scapegoat, or several, even when things are going well. Fammy just happens to be top of the list at the moment.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Did Baldock get to 50?

On Fam. Watched him closely yesterday (and will again today). He was playing in a manner that reminded me of Berbatov. Calm, conserving energy, but bursting into life when needed. Szmodics and Weimann buzz around him and create space that Fam needs. Nice finish as well. 

Gregor McGregor wrote recently about how popular Fammy was with his teammates because of the work he does for them. Fans don't always notice that kind of thing.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

What proven strikers are there though?

Pukki wasn't proven at this level, Sharp had largely failed in the Championship before the last couple of seasons.

And before Assombalonga gets mentioned by someone his best season in the Championship is 15 I believe- Diedhiou got 14 while missing 3 months injured. 

@RedEyez, what part of my post here do you think warrants an aubergine reaction?

Or are you just being a pathetic scrote doing it to each of my posts you see...

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

@RedEyez, what part of my post here do you think warrants an aubergine reaction?

You are using facts and rational argument, things that have no place in 2019, least of all on a football forum!

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wondered how long it would take you to bite ?

Ah well it was fun whilst it lasted

*Cue aubergine emoji*

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Does anyone know how many shots he had and therefore what his ratio was. Of the top 10 strikers in Europe last season was Mauro Icardi at 3.48 shots per goal. Ronaldo was at 6.85 shots per goal, Harry Lane was at 6.13, Messi at 5.79 and Suarez and Salah at 4.84 and 4.5 respectively. https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-the-conversion-rate-of-the-top-10-scorers-in-europe/

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/236503/Show/Famara-Diedhiou

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

if you look on the Derby twitter when we scored I think one of the comments was "what did you expect, he's class"

I listened to the Norwich commentary last year when we played them for a bit of a change and when we took Fammy off they were surprised and delighted - said he had caused problems all game for them up to that point. Got on here and it was all about how he was taken off for having a poor game. Sometimes if you see it from the other teams perspective it's a very different game. 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Don't really care about his ball control if he can stick it in the net. Which he does pretty well.

I honestly don't think you can get better for 5m, unless you are taking a risk on another foreign player.

Proven championship strikers are playing for premier league teams or our direct rivals, they are not just sitting at home wairing for the phone to ring. 

We need to keep famara and invest in a off the shoulder pacey striker to support him. And score more goals from midfield to take the burden off him.

Someone actually gets it

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I listened to the Norwich commentary last year when we played them for a bit of a change and when we took Fammy off they were surprised and delighted - said he had caused problems all game for them up to that point. Got on here and it was all about how he was taken off for having a poor game. Sometimes if you see it from the other teams perspective it's a very different game. 

The interview with Curtis Davies (Derby defender) last night he praises Fam, very awkward to defend against. I’ve heard other opposition say the same thing too 

There are reasons Fam signed for us in the championship. He had holes in his game. From his two seasons here you can see the holes in his game being improved. By the time the season ended you could see he was more comfortable holding off defender, holding the ball up under pressure and being the lone striker. 

He did miss some easy chances. The one at Hull last game of the season will stick with people. There was the stat flying around that he missed 20 clear chances or something like that. Doesn’t take much in those chances to score. He could easily be cooler this season and convert 5-7 more of those. Add in 6 game suspension(and the time to get up to speed) he could easily be a 20 goal scorer. 

Might be a good thing he didn’t convert last season. Means we can add to that squad while keeping a good striker. If he scores 20 goals he is in the premier league. Yes I think he needs to add a few more goals but he is in the right spots to do so and he does look fitter and sharper this preseason so far. Though I’d argue there are a few others who need to add more goals around him(Brownhill, Paterson, Eliasson and will be looking at Szmodics to add a few).

16 goals from COD, Brownhill, Paterson and Eliasson. These are supposed to be our spark type players. The creative types that can pick a pass or create a goal from nothing. Saw flashes from all of them but if we are looking for more consistency from someone it is one or two of them. Especially the wide players when you look at other wide players across the league. Bowen, Hernandez, El Ghazi and costa and Cavaliero back in the league. They are getting 10+ goals and 5+ assists. Think this is more likely the areas that need goals rather than Fam getting 25. We get 15 from Fam and 10 from Weimann(or Nketiah if he arrives those two would be our primary goal scorers off Fam imo) and another 8+ from one of those mentioned we will be much better off than last season. 

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Thing is with Fam when he has a bad game he REALLY has a bad game, like he won't get a sniff. But sometimes he's the best man we have up top. I don't think selling him is the answer. 

Agreed- though that latent ability can make him tradable for upgrades too IMO. As you say though, when he's bad- well he can be really bad.

On 14/07/2019 at 10:42, JamesBCFC said:

And is Vydra actually all that in the Championship?

He's obviously a decent player, but proven 20 goals? No.

He got 20 in 41 in his first season in the Championship

Then 16 in 42

3 in 31

5 in 33

and 21 in 40.

That is 65 in 189

A goal every three games. (2.9 games to be exact)

Diedhiou, 26 in 73, a goal every 3 games (every 2.8 games to be exact)

Even looking at their whole careers (granted played in very different leagues) Diedhiou has scored more goals in 40 odd less games.

It's the all-round game as well though- strikers are judged on more than goals solely. I'll look into those stats a bit more at some point- definitely some big divergences there though, but I bet his conversion rate better than Diedhiou?

Could be argued that because Diedhiou plays in a more attacking side than say Vydra did at Derby- Rowett's football has always struck me as not too possession based or enterprising, he gets more chances.

OTOH, Diedhiou helps out defensively- something I don't really associate Vydra with.

He’s not my type of player . I appreciate his work rate and his physical presence and his goals are vital . I’m not a lover of one up top and think it exposes the lads lack of technique. Play him up top with another . Could we get an upgrade for what we paid for him then definitely not . 

On 14/07/2019 at 02:04, Superjack said:

It says 'start new topic', but I guess it is old ground really. I'm going to go there anyway though. 

I rate him. A lot. I really do. 

Sadly I don't think that we will ever see his full potential for us. I really would like to see him played in a front two all season. 

I genuinely think that those of you who criticise would be made to eat your words. 

He will probably go somewhere else before he is fully appreciated here. 

And no, I am not Famara Diedhiou or a relative of.

i think its you who needs to eat his words, not only do you say yourself he wont show full potential for bristol city....same is said for me, i will show my full potential but only when i play for barcelona not sunday league football, but also he has been here way to long to show his ful potential as you say, and has been far from ideal and at times useless.

roll on selling him

Never liked the one up top remember the days of super bob and even before that tom ritchie Paul cheesely  Keith fear never played up front on their own you always need your number 9 to knock it down to your number 10 or vice versa always thought it never worked with Rooney up front on his own 

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

i think its you who needs to eat his words, not only do you say yourself he wont show full potential for bristol city....same is said for me, i will show my full potential but only when i play for barcelona not sunday league football, but also he has been here way to long to show his ful potential as you say, and has been far from ideal and at times useless.

roll on selling him

You do talk some rubbish sometimes...

He’s been here for 2 seasons and in that time has constantly improved. His hold up play is better, his finishing is better, he’s stronger he has a better touch and his awareness is better.

You have to remember he came from France where the game is played totally differently, he’s taken longer to fit in here than we would have liked but he is starting to find his feet and become a handful.

We shouldn’t ‘roll on selling him’, if a bid of £8 million plus came in we’d have to think about it and probably accept but we should try and keep hold of him as he will be vital this season imo

Archived