IGNORED

Team formation and who fits into it.

cidered abroad

I've started a new thread because I didn't want to derail other topics in Transfers and Football Chat.

Last evening's 45 minutes throws up some interesting questions for me.

Was the starting eleven, LJ's preferred/ideal for formation and personnel?

I thought we looked like a side that already knew how we will be playing this season. I also consider that Derby looked ragged compared to us. Except when they went through the middle and ran at our back three. Does this highlight the need for Pack or perhaps a more mobile replacement like Joe Williams? Or is Rowe the alternative for Pack?

So will it be 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or even 3-6-1?

Or will we revert to a back four? 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1?

What and who would we play if the Nketiah rumour is true? Two up front with Fammy?

If that happens, who would drop out? Weimann or Szmodics? Where do Eliasson, Callum, Semenyo fit?

Are there places for Pack, Paterson, Watkins, Baker or could they be on their way?

All will become clear in August and I know the priority at present is to gain match fitness and for newcomers to fit in. But how and who we start with is very interesting.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I've started a new thread because I didn't want to derail other topics in Transfers and Football Chat.

Last evening's 45 minutes throws up some interesting questions for me.

Was the starting eleven, LJ's preferred/ideal for formation and personnel?

I thought we looked like a side that already knew how we will be playing this season. I also consider that Derby looked ragged compared to us. Except when they went through the middle and ran at our back three. Does this highlight the need for Pack or perhaps a more mobile replacement like Joe Williams? Or is Rowe the alternative for Pack?

So will it be 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or even 3-6-1?

Or will we revert to a back four? 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1?

What and who would we play if the Nketiah rumour is true? Two up front with Fammy?

If that happens, who would drop out? Weimann or Szmodics? Where do Eliasson, Callum, Semenyo fit?

Are there places for Pack, Paterson, Watkins, Baker or could they be on their way?

All will become clear in August and I know the priority at present is to gain match fitness and for newcomers to fit in. But how and who we start with is very interesting.

I really liked the look of the 352 last night. It means we can play 2 strikers. Also gives Webster even more licence to get forward. We have 2 perfect wing backs in Hunt and Dasilva. Szmodics fits in perfectly in behind the forwards, but would also be perfect for Paterson. And we have a number of centre backs to cover the 3 at the back.

Is Johnson going to drop Pack? Probably not. But I was very surprised by Rowe in there. Him and Brownhill really looked good together. Though I expect us to be bringing in one more midfielder like Williams, with Walsh going out on loan. That will then be interesting to see what LJ does with Pack if we bring in Williams. He certainly won't drop Brownhill, and Williams really is quality so maybe Pack doesn't get in the side.

I don't think Semenyo will play as much as people think this season. He could well end up being 5th choice striker.

This system is perfect for many of our players, but it's only Eliasson that it does not suit. But he could compete with Szmodics in the behind the strikers role. Eliasson has played there before, and can drift to either wing.

Imo we will be playing many formations throughout the season.

During a game it will change, and how we set up to play will change depending on who we are playing.

The modern game is forever evolving...we will not be sticking to one way of playing.

We will play to our strengths and looking to exploit an opponent's weaknesses...each game is different.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

During a game it will change, and how we set up to play will change depending on who we are playing.

The modern game is forever evolving...we will not be sticking to one way of playing.

We will play to our strengths and looking to exploit an opponent's weaknesses...each game is different.

That was my thoughts as well. When we have made signings or are linked to a player, someone has said “where does that leave x if he comes in?” But as I see it every game is perm any 14 from 17, so many players will get chances and choice is the main aim of this summers recruitment.

I would be interested in how many games LJ didn’t use all his subs, and how many times he only used them to rest players, rather to make a tactical change or to effect the game. My guess would be heavily skewed towards the latter, there weren’t many games where we were cruising and looking to run down the game.

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I really liked the look of the 352 last night. It means we can play 2 strikers.

Me too.  We certainly pressed the ball better being able to cover their CBs passing with two forwards joined with good timing by either Szmodics or Brownhill...even if it was a halfway line press by Rowe that started the goal.  Offensively we had two passing targets.  A very different style to Birmingham, but in Adams and Jutkiewicz they always had two out-ball options.  A lot to like in our set up last night.

Also gives Webster even more licence to get forward. We have 2 perfect wing backs in Hunt and Dasilva.

How good did Hunt look last night?  Bit better final pass to improve and two chances too.  We know what we get with Dasilva.  Great header defensively at back stick v Jozefzoon too.  Good in the air for a small-fry.

Szmodics fits in perfectly in behind the forwards, but would also be perfect for Paterson. And we have a number of centre backs to cover the 3 at the back.

Complimented the other two midfielders well, and as above good presser.  Don’t think Reid’s absence has gone unnoticed by LJ.

Is Johnson going to drop Pack? Probably not. But I was very surprised by Rowe in there.

What I liked about Rowe last night was where he got to on the pitch, covering the back 3 (at one point he seemed to go LCB and Webster into CM), but also driving forward, e.g. when setting up the goal.  I’m hoping it’s a formation thing and that if Pack was in there he would do the same.  We miss Marlon in the final third when he’s restricted to sitting.  We now have a ‘trusted’ option.  I don’t think LJ trusts Walsh or Morrell at this point.  I did say I thought Rowe would be a clever signing.

Him and Brownhill really looked good together. Though I expect us to be bringing in one more midfielder like Williams, with Walsh going out on loan. That will then be interesting to see what LJ does with Pack if we bring in Williams. He certainly won't drop Brownhill, and Williams really is quality so maybe Pack doesn't get in the side.

Williams or Luongo would give us a real quality mix in there.

I don't think Semenyo will play as much as people think this season. He could well end up being 5th choice striker.

If we play 2 up top, I would say he has more chance of playing.

This system is perfect for many of our players, but it's only Eliasson that it does not suit. But he could compete with Szmodics in the behind the strikers role. Eliasson has played there before, and can drift to either wing.

Do believe he thinks Eliasson can play there, but he doesn’t have the intensity of Szmodics in there.

From pre-season we have now seen 4231 and 532/5212.

It’s a shame Korey Smith is injured really. He is vital to a 352 in my opinion. What a team this would be

Bentley

Wright Kalas Webster 

Hunt Smith Brownhill Dasilva

Szmodics

Nketiah Diedhiou

*This is all based on me being hopeful of Eddie Nketiah coming on loan mind ! 

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

It’s a shame Korey Smith is injured really. He is vital to a 352 in my opinion. What a team this would be

Bentley

Wright Kalas Webster 

Hunt Smith Brownhill Dasilva

Szmodics

Nketiah Diedhiou

I think that's pretty spot on. Replace injured Korey with a new holding midfielder and then not sure who plays out of Maenpaa and Bentley. But that sort of side looks quality. Incredible we can pick a team that is so good Eliasson can't even get in. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think that's pretty spot on. Replace injured Korey with a new holding midfielder and then not sure who plays out of Maenpaa and Bentley. But that sort of side looks quality. Incredible we can pick a team that is so good Eliasson can't even get in. 

Or Weimann 

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

Or Weimann 

I like Weimann but I don't rate him as highly as some on here. Very good squad player to have imo.  

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I like Weimann but I don't rate him as highly as some on here. Very good squad player to have imo.  

Yeah, still got us 10 last season but we need someone who will get double that. I think this kid from Arsenal will be the one .

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think he is the most intelligent forward we have. As LJ has said, the problem is his teammates are not always on his wavelength.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think he is the most intelligent forward we have. As LJ has said, the problem is his teammates are not always on his wavelength.

100% agree. Some of his unspotted runs last season were sublime.

We need someone who can make that incisive pass to unlock the defence. Palmer’s pass for that Weimann goal against Sheffield Utd? is a great example.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

What we must have up top is competition and more importantly no-one guaranteed their place.  Need players having to play on top form to keep their place.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What we must have up top is competition and more importantly no-one guaranteed their place.  Need players having to play on top form to keep their place.

Spot on

And with the numbers we have , we should have that , not sure we have mind

42 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If we play 3 centre backs, then for me it's a must that Pack is left out. We don't need his defensive cover with 3 CBs, we need the extra creativity in the midfield.

I think if we play 3 CB it will be in part to release Webster forward more (which makes a lot of sense). It also means attacking wingbacks so I think a DM is actually really important. It actually frees up other players to be more attack minded and creative. 

The idea we will play ‘a’ formation is fundamentally flawed. LJ plays players in different ways to enable the team to change shape when the situation requires it. The simplest example 352 in possession 532 when out of it...LJ does tend to set up for the opposition before KO which can be annoying as we are shifting shape for the opposition and in a perfect world we would be forcing teams to match us up.

Nevertheless this is a big season for LJ as SL will see anything less than top six as failure. The lad Szmodics looks like he can play and will move opposition players around which was what he hoped two or three others before him could do. This has the feeling of a breakthrough season if we can convert more of the chances we create

I'm surprised no one is making anything of Taylor's and Watkins absence from the squad today.

They were not involved yesterday. And I'm sure ive seen them training this week.

Taylor bouncing around aftet the game today. I don't reckon they are injured. I reckon they are both off.

Moore and Nketiah will be their replacements. 

Walsh and Adealkun will go out on loan and we will bring in one more midfielder, possibly Williams.

That's my prediction, and that would be a fantastic squad.

23 hours ago, spudski said:

Yep, common sense if fans would only think about it. 

Essentially LJ uses the same template as every other team - 4-4-2.  Move one player and you have different formation. What matters is ability of players to understand and adapt to their responsibilities in different formation.

On 14/07/2019 at 10:39, JonDolman said:

I really liked the look of the 352 last night. It means we can play 2 strikers. Also gives Webster even more licence to get forward. We have 2 perfect wing backs in Hunt and Dasilva. Szmodics fits in perfectly in behind the forwards, but would also be perfect for Paterson. And we have a number of centre backs to cover the 3 at the back.

Is Johnson going to drop Pack? Probably not. But I was very surprised by Rowe in there. Him and Brownhill really looked good together. Though I expect us to be bringing in one more midfielder like Williams, with Walsh going out on loan. That will then be interesting to see what LJ does with Pack if we bring in Williams. He certainly won't drop Brownhill, and Williams really is quality so maybe Pack doesn't get in the side.

Personally I don't like Webster getting forward too much. He got caught out a few times last season

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Personally I don't like Webster getting forward too much. He got caught out a few times last season

Interesting. I didn't really see him being caught out as he never seems to get tackled. It's such a great way of getting the ball into midfield imo. The other night against Derby they just could not tackle him.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting. I didn't really see him being caught out as he never seems to get tackled. It's such a great way of getting the ball into midfield imo. The other night against Derby they just could not tackle him.

Webster’s passing when moving forward in the second half of the season was 50-50. However new season new start.

On 14/07/2019 at 10:44, spudski said:

With the players currently in the squad it is apparent that they are comfortable in various formations 

That little % extra that LJ goes on about is having players available to play in all types of systems and that they know their roles

442, 4141, 4222, 4231, 352, 433 - all systems that at some point last season dependant on the opposition and state of the game

21 minutes ago, INCRED said:

With the players currently in the squad it is apparent that they are comfortable in various formations 

That little % extra that LJ goes on about is having players available to play in all types of systems and that they know their roles

442, 4141, 4222, 4231, 352, 433 - all systems that at some point last season dependant on the opposition and state of the game

Yep

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don’t remember him getting caught out when he brought the ball forward. He is a very talented and versatile footballer and rarely gets tackled.

Its very rare to see City CB with such footballing ability. The last one was Caulker whose addictive demons unfortunately ruined his potential. 

Imv Webster is the best CB I’ve seen play for City in over 50 years of watching City. He reminds me of a young Rio Ferdinand and if City can hang on him this window I’ll be delighted to see him play for us for another season.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I don’t remember him getting caught out when he brought the ball forward. He is a very talented and versatile footballer and rarely gets tackled.

Its very rare to see City CB with such footballing ability. The last one was Caulker whose addictive demons unfortunately ruined his potential. 

Imv Webster is the best CB I’ve seen play for City in over 50 years of watching City. He reminds me of a young Rio Ferdinand and if City can hang on him this window I’ll be delighted to see him play for us for another season.

I wouldn’t quite put him in the same class as Ferdinand but fully get your point. I think he has some similar traits to Harry Maguire. Very good defensively but comfortable passing the ball as well as bringing it out of defence. There is no reason why if he stays fit and continues to improve that he could play for a top club.

A lot of clubs are looking at him and see a very good player like we all do, if he doesn’t go this summer then I can see him going next regardless if we go up or not and for big money

Archived