IGNORED

Best Pubs near the Fiddlers

Markman

Long Ryder's play there on Sunday (terrific live band) - but my Train arrives Bemmie at half four - 4 hours to kill so will need a few refreshers best suggestions? I think the Apple Tree is close by and was wondering in the Rope or the Windmill are worth a wander to?

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Markman said:

Long Ryder's play there on Sunday (terrific live band) - but my Train arrives Bemmie at half four - 4 hours to kill so will need a few refreshers best suggestions? I think the Apple Tree is close by and was wondering in the Rope or the Windmill are worth a wander to?

If you go left out of Bedminster station instead of right there are a number of pubs around this area.

You've the Spoons, Black Cat, The Albert all a short walk away .

The Fiddlers is about a 10 minute walk away

Otherwise just as easy to get off of the train at Temple Meads and use the pubs in the centre, especially as you have so much time on your hands

52 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Mark i dunno if you have been to fiddlers before, but if you are wondering why the windows have bars on upstairs, it because its a ex jail.

Cant be to many converted jail/ nightclubs about.

Yeah - it is a weird old venue - but normally I do as suggested drink in town and wander out - I just thought I might try a few places a bit closer - I shall submit my review of the Apple Tree to TripAdvisor!

Trip-Advisor

So - followed the good advice here and just drank in the centre - then ambled across to the Fiddlers and found the band we were off to see were not on for another hour - what do do?

The Apple Tree

The ambiance was somewhat let down by the fact that several of the windows were boarded up and we were not even sure it was open - but it was, and there were 4 of us,  so in we went.

In the course of our hour there we had quite a time. With no offence to anyone it did feel a little like the scene in American Werewolf when we walked in as nearly everyone turned and gave us a look that sort of said "who the **** are you".

First joining us at our table were two young men who may have been physically present but whatever they were smoking or had imbibed meant there heads and thoughts were on a different planet if not in another galaxy.

Buying the round - 4 pints of Thatchers - £12 not at all bad and a nice friendly barman. 

Slightly odd was one customer who was holding two cans of lager (not glasses - cans) and who did not let up on the slightly challenging stare all the time we were in there. Also slightly odd was given that the demographic of the clientele (including us) was one of "slightly older and all had seen better days" there was one young and really attractive young lady who just seemed out of place (I add here that a young really handsome young man would have looked equally out of place but there wasn't one).

After a little while we had another enthusiastic young man singing and dancing to the juke box and then.............the almost inevitable punch up - not involving us and not sure what it was all about but quite impressive entertainment.

After this on purchasing our next round (yes we stayed) the landlord apologised for the flare up and was the perfect host.

Gents Loo was suitably aromatic

Would we visit again? Yes - if attending the Fiddlers again a trip to the Apple Tree brings with it good value, a touch of nostalgia for pubs we used to know and a hint of trepidation. 

2 hours ago, Markman said:

Trip-Advisor

So - followed the good advice here and just drank in the centre - then ambled across to the Fiddlers and found the band we were off to see were not on for another hour - what do do?

The Apple Tree

The ambiance was somewhat let down by the fact that several of the windows were boarded up and we were not even sure it was open - but it was, and there were 4 of us,  so in we went.

In the course of our hour there we had quite a time. With no offence to anyone it did feel a little like the scene in American Werewolf when we walked in as nearly everyone turned and gave us a look that sort of said "who the **** are you".

First joining us at our table were two young men who may have been physically present but whatever they were smoking or had imbibed meant there heads and thoughts were on a different planet if not in another galaxy.

Buying the round - 4 pints of Thatchers - £12 not at all bad and a nice friendly barman. 

Slightly odd was one customer who was holding two cans of lager (not glasses - cans) and who did not let up on the slightly challenging stare all the time we were in there. Also slightly odd was given that the demographic of the clientele (including us) was one of "slightly older and all had seen better days" there was one young and really attractive young lady who just seemed out of place (I add here that a young really handsome young man would have looked equally out of place but there wasn't one).

After a little while we had another enthusiastic young man singing and dancing to the juke box and then.............the almost inevitable punch up - not involving us and not sure what it was all about but quite impressive entertainment.

After this on purchasing our next round (yes we stayed) the landlord apologised for the flare up and was the perfect host.

Gents Loo was suitably aromatic

Would we visit again? Yes - if attending the Fiddlers again a trip to the Apple Tree brings with it good value, a touch of nostalgia for pubs we used to know and a hint of trepidation. 

If you feel brave try and Barley Mow it’s even more interesting. The last time I was in a older guy about 70 was selling the locals single fags and a pinch of tobacco out of his pocket... 

I went for a wee and he came in and used the gents and stroller back out to serve more “customers” the sink didn’t get a second look... 

18 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Mark i dunno if you know the city fan who looks like rod stewart, hes a great guy.

If you go in the grovesnor pub and catch it right, for non stop pints of cider he will sing rod stewart dittys on a stall.

Is Spike keeping well? I had heard his health wasn’t great? Anyone seen him off late? 

Archived