IGNORED

Korey Smith

Unan

2 hours ago, Unan said:

Couldn't believe he is still in a brace, I saw that he was supposed to be back in October(?) but looks well off of that at the moment.

SOFTBALL_⚾️Robins_in_the_States_0-38_screenshot.png

He was out for 8/9 months straight off with that injury and unfortunately has had a set back in his rehabilitation so we certainly won't see him till NY and they certainly won't take any chances rushing him back.

2 hours ago, Unan said:

Couldn't believe he is still in a brace, I saw that he was supposed to be back in October(?) but looks well off of that at the moment.

SOFTBALL_⚾️Robins_in_the_States_0-38_screenshot.png

Just a precaution while walking round (and playing softball with a bloody hard ball) I would imagine.

He's been training in the gym without a brace...

Screenshot_20190716-230107.png

9 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

He was out for 8/9 months straight off with that injury and unfortunately has had a set back in his rehabilitation so we certainly won't see him till NY and they certainly won't take any chances rushing him back.

Doesn't he only have a year left on his contract? Not ideal if he's not fit until January. Wonder if we'll offer him a new one.

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Doesn't he only have a year left on his contract? Not ideal if he's not fit until January. Wonder if we'll offer him a new one.

Yes, expires next summer. City gave him an extra year when he was recovering from last season’s injury, to avoid both club and player being in a difficult position this summer, either:

- Korey coming back in fine form and becoming a free agent and us losing him for free

- Korey not coming back and the club leaving him in limbo, injured and out of contract 

Both club and Korey’s Interests have been covered and a good compromise.  

A similar offer might be made again on his return this autumn.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Time to put sentiment to the side..

It's the natural point to move on with our thanks... 

What if he comes back from injury well and performs?  I know it’s an if, but he’s under contract til next summer, seems no rush to do anything. 

To move him on will cost us no less than keeping him here (physio team effort accepted).  We would have to buy out his contract. 

Big financial consideration, not just sentimental. 

It does seem like a long recovery time. His  injury must have been more serious than first thought. Anyone know what exactly the injury is. I know it’s  around his ankle but ‘normal’ ankle injuries don’t take this long to recover.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

What if he comes back from injury well and performs?  I know it’s an if, but he’s under contract til next summer, seems no rush to do anything. 

To move him on will cost us no less than keeping him here (physio team effort accepted).  We would have to buy out his contract. 

Big financial consideration, not just sentimental. 

You would hope that as we have stuck by him throughout his injury issues, he would be happy to sign for a further year, maybe with a years option, on the same wages. He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would suddenly demand high wages and a long contract after the last 2 seasons.

I honestly think that we need to plan for life without him, as he seems to come back and then have another setback. Maybe we rushed him back to soon last time?

Maybe because he's the type of player that gets stuck in, he is getting to an age where his body is telling him to change his game a bit?

Maybe a move to RB would suit him better, as he's not constantly in the "engine room"?

I hope I'm wrong, but I do worry that we have seen the best of Korey, and that we may start to see a slightly lesser version of him.

37 minutes ago, Taz said:

You would hope that as we have stuck by him throughout his injury issues, he would be happy to sign for a further year, maybe with a years option, on the same wages. He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would suddenly demand high wages and a long contract after the last 2 seasons.

yep, agree.  Wonder if that was the deal last winter too.

I honestly think that we need to plan for life without him, as he seems to come back and then have another setback. Maybe we rushed him back to soon last time?

i think we are too an extent with signing Rowe.  Don’t think we rushed him back, was a different injury and a bit of a freak one as he slipped going into the challenge.

Maybe because he's the type of player that gets stuck in, he is getting to an age where his body is telling him to change his game a bit?

Maybe a move to RB would suit him better, as he's not constantly in the "engine room"?

thats a very good idea

I hope I'm wrong, but I do worry that we have seen the best of Korey, and that we may start to see a slightly lesser version of him.

that of course is very possible  

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know his original injury was his knee. But thought the injury he got against Reading was ankle/metatarsal? I might be wrong of course. But an injury anywhere can of course have repercussions on other parts of the  body as well. Hence the knee brace(previous injury?)

Would be a massive ask after such a long list of long term injuries for him to come back at anywhere near his previous level. Ultimately the body can only take so much.

I think this decision will be put off until Jan. Last year's one was in someway sentimental. I'm not sure we will go down that route again.

Nearly 2 years out with injury, if we offer a new contract I hope its either pay as you play or on reduced wages.

I know he scored "that goal" but how many players come back from the lengthy injuries Corey has had in the last 18 months. No room for sentiment, he's taking a wage that could be used elsewhere if he can't play.

As for we stuck by him so he'll do the right thing - Nicky Maynard

He came back into the first team from a serious knee injury last season and really picked up from where he left off until he done his ankle - he can come back again!

We don't have another player in the squad like him and he's got to be given a chance when he is fully fit.

A fit and firing Korey Smith is the first name on the team sheet for me. A leader. A warrior. A fantastic footballer.

17 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I know his original injury was his knee. But thought the injury he got against Reading was ankle/metatarsal? I might be wrong of course. But an injury anywhere can of course have repercussions on other parts of the  body as well. Hence the knee brace(previous injury?)

Would be a massive ask after such a long list of long term injuries for him to come back at anywhere near his previous level. Ultimately the body can only take so much.

I think this decision will be put off until Jan. Last year's one was in someway sentimental. I'm not sure we will go down that route again.

Dont believe he’s been wearing a knee brace, he has been wearing a protective boot....but I have seen people use “brace” to describe it. 

Of course you are right that one injury to one part part of the body could result in weakness elsewhere. I know that from my own injuries / ops. I was the Darren Anderton of local football from mid 20s onward. 

11 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

It was his ligaments in his lower leg and metatarsal and had to have a metal plate put in to hopefully hold it all together. As I understand it the tissues haven't binded as 1st thought and needs to wear a leg brace longer which unfortunately will take much longer to build the muscle strengths again.. 

18 hours ago, Taz said:

Reminds me of Marvin Elliott. Was never the same player after his injury problems.

Archived