IGNORED

Favourite Pre-Season Game

Silvio Dante

6 hours ago, phantom said:

These for me

Was in awe of that Chelsea side, little did we know when a certain Michael Owen made his debut that night what he would go to achieve, and of course beating the sags is always a highlight

One more to add when we won 1-0 away at the Gas, can't think of the guy who scored for us, we'd just signed him from Swindon. Remember they stopped for us to put the ball out following an injury and we whipped it into the net from near the touchline

2005 I think that was. They showed their usual level of professionalism by not playing to the whistle!

23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a bit quiet here at the mo while the team are in the states and deals unlikely, if not impossible. So I was thinking of what we haven’t covered - and the above came to me.

Pre season games by nature are dull, sedate and forgettable but are there any that stand out?

For me, there are a few:

Chelsea (c1996). Ruud Gullit had just signed for Chelsea, before megastars were common in English football. IIRC, we drew 1-1 despite Gullit being majestic, in the back of my mind Phil Barber scored?

That Gullit performance was still the best I have ever seen anyone play at AG and that includes the Samuel Eto hat trick.

Played sweeper and he hit one 50 yard pass with his right foot 50-60 yards to the left winger on the run right onto his toe. He then did exactly the same 5mins later with his left foot out to the right winger (John Spencer iirc?).  Utterly inperious display.

15 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Swanage away in the 90s.  Think we’d just signed Carl Hutchings. What a day out. 

Was only in my early teens then, and after seeing Hutchings play against us for Brentford previously was delighted when we signed him, after that? Well nothing ?

Was absolute pony for us.

41 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

That Gullit performance was still the best I have ever seen anyone play at AG and that includes the Samuel Eto hat trick.

Played sweeper and he hit one 50 yard pass with his right foot 50-60 yards to the left winger on the run right onto his toe. He then did exactly the same 5mins later with his left foot out to the right winger (John Spencer iirc?).  Utterly inperious display.

Also known as the Ian Baird ?? friendly.

On 16/07/2019 at 23:16, LilRascal said:

One that stuck in my mind was against Borussia Monchengladbach - think it was 1998 after the John Ward promotion season.  We were torn apart by them. First and only time I’ve seen an old school German sweeper system - the sweeper controlled the match totally - he was total class. Think we lost 5-1.

Didn’t he score a hat trick too?! Someone did in their defence I’m sure 

On 16/07/2019 at 23:16, LilRascal said:

One that stuck in my mind was against Borussia Monchengladbach - think it was 1998 after the John Ward promotion season.  We were torn apart by them. First and only time I’ve seen an old school German sweeper system - the sweeper controlled the match totally - he was total class. Think we lost 5-1.

The most unpopular football supporter on the planet was in the away that night.....

”give us a B”

”give us an O”.......!

18 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Rangers at home a fews years ago.

Proper atmosphere that day.

Certainly was noisy that day.

Really hot afternoon. Rangers fans with weird non-glaswegian accents from all over. Some right characters falling out of pubs on the way to and from Ashton Gate. 

Unfortunately RFC won and my missus has had the bragging rights ever since. 

36 minutes ago, Pound Lane Red said:

Certainly was noisy that day.

Really hot afternoon. Rangers fans with weird non-glaswegian accents from all over. Some right characters falling out of pubs on the way to and from Ashton Gate. 

Unfortunately RFC won and my missus has had the bragging rights ever since. 

Also Rangers current holders of the much coveted Blackthorn Cup, which they will hold onto forever.

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’ve heard a few people in the past say that it was a staged comeback. I disagree! Ok, sure, United probably took their foot off the pedal a bit at 3-0 up, but I also remember Peter Schmeical making a couple of brilliant saves - he certainly wasn’t handing us the comeback on a plate. 

Was in the open end and we started a chant of "Never win the, never win the , never win the Gloucester cup...never win the Gloucester cup" aimed at Schmeical...who turned and laughed with us...good banter with him that half.....

7 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Was only in my early teens then, and after seeing Hutchings play against us for Brentford previously was delighted when we signed him, after that? Well nothing ?

Was absolute pony for us.

He was pretty good v. Swanage tbf. But I think that was his zenith. Didn’t he co-own the (what was the) Lizard Lounge on Park Row with Akinbiyi and Goodridge? 

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:42, pride of the west said:

Seeing Samuel Eto for real mallorca was a pleasure for a pre season game

IIRC correctly Lee Peacock scored for us twice in the 2nd half, did it end up 2-7 or something like that?  Also remember we played Steaua Bucharest in 1991, think we were outclassed and lost 0-2, they had won the European Cup a few years before and were still a top European side.  There was some sort of sour controversy in that SB were taking the mick a bit as they were receiving the ball, and pretending to tie their laces to show how much time they had on the ball (or something a bit showboaty like that).

https://www.bristolcityprogrammes.com/p/bristol-city-v-steaua-bucharest-12-08-1991-programme

27 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Weirdly although I really enjoyed the man u friendly 3-3 the one that I enjoyed most was at hallen this year... being that close to the players... throwing the ball back to them... seeing the skills and pace they play from so close was really fascinating... 

Wasn’t Mark Hughes marked by Mark Hughes?

On 17/07/2019 at 22:33, RED4LIFE said:

Yeah until the baird incident!! How gullit felt having that donkey breathing the same air as him we will never know!

On 17/07/2019 at 15:53, NiceRed said:

Remember that one. They looked very good. Got a feeling it was 5-0 even. Remember looking out for them in the Bundesliga that season to see how they did...I think they went down (as did we)

I was there for that one too, my overriding memory is sone city fans running round the atyeo with their arms out like an aeroplane singing the dambusters tune. I wonder why the eu didnt work out for us?

On 16/07/2019 at 22:35, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a bit quiet here at the mo while the team are in the states and deals unlikely, if not impossible. So I was thinking of what we haven’t covered - and the above came to me.

Pre season games by nature are dull, sedate and forgettable but are there any that stand out?

For me, there are a few:

Chelsea (c1996). Ruud Gullit had just signed for Chelsea, before megastars were common in English football. IIRC, we drew 1-1 despite Gullit being majestic, in the back of my mind Phil Barber scored?

Ajax (c2010). Suarez. Emmanulson. Sno. Ripped us apart. And when we signed Sno I genuinely thought that was us promoted!

Liverpool (c1997). Mickie Owen, pre injuries, pre fame. 1-1 again IIRC?

Antwerp (c2009). Micky Naynard. Hat trick. 5-2. Shame how that ended.

R*vers (c2012). Louis testimonial. First game since the auto windscreens upset. Smashed them, 3-0. Could have been more.

Any more candidates?

Agree with you about Liverpool and Ajax.

Archived