IGNORED

Interesting story and possible precedent

Mr Popodopolous

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2019/july/stevenage-fc-club-statement-fa-misconduct-charge-efl-thursday-11th-july-2019/

Basically, Stevenage fined for the conduct of a minority of fans- chanting at a female linesman/official.

While the fine itself was pretty small at £5,000 it does make for an interesting case study- to what extent are a club responsible for the conduct of its fans/a minority of its fans?

Lucky for those involved, they didn't do it on a pre-season tour of the Cayman Islands. Here we have a specific paragraph in the Penal Code covering such acts:

133. A person who, with intent to insult the modesty of any woman, utters any word, makes any sound or gesture or exhibits any object intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen by such woman, or intrudes upon the privacy of such woman, commits an offence and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2019/july/stevenage-fc-club-statement-fa-misconduct-charge-efl-thursday-11th-july-2019/

Basically, Stevenage fined for the conduct of a minority of fans- chanting at a female linesman/official.

While the fine itself was pretty small at £5,000 it does make for an interesting case study- to what extent are a club responsible for the conduct of its fans/a minority of its fans?

Is this any different to clubs being punished for their fans using racist chants?

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well does that happen all that often and even here?

Millwall were charged in February or March with it for the game v Everton and so far, since then...

tenor.gif

You occasionally see UEFA charging some of the East European clubs with it and fining them about £2.50 before they then charge someone with wearing the wrong brand of socks and fine them millions!

Just now, richwwtk said:

You occasionally see UEFA charging some of the East European clubs with it and fining them about £2.50 before they then charge someone with wearing the wrong brand of socks and fine them millions!

Fake News.

CSKA had a game behind closed doors owing to it in 2013. UEFA don't do enough but it's possible they do more than our own FA, proportionately.

If you look through, you'll see behind closed doors for racist fans with UEFA.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fake News.

CSKA had a game behind closed doors owing to it in 2013. UEFA don't do enough but it's possible they do more than our own FA, proportionately.

If you look through, you'll see behind closed doors for racist fans with UEFA.

Fair enough, I may have exaggerated a little, but it does seem to me that UEFA and FIFA come down on people who transgress their marketing policies much more heavily than racism and/or corruption issues.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Fair enough, I may have exaggerated a little, but it does seem to me that UEFA and FIFA come down on people who transgress their marketing policies much more heavily than racism and/or corruption issues.

Fifa don’t do anything like enough to deal with racism in football regardless.

24 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Last time we had a game behind closed doors in this country for racist abuse was...?

Agreed, the punishments taken as a whole by those 2 are not strong enough and certainly not compared to those for marketing etc.

Ask again, punishment for Millwall (a minority, granted) has been...? Charged in February and many months later?

Anyway my main point is to what extent are or should clubs be responsible for the behaviour of their fans?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/26/stadium-bans-fines-banners-uefa-has-dealt-racism-last-decade/

From this article- and incidentally it misses the CSKA Stadium ban for 2013 racism v Man City and some of the items seem to be a bit out of order, timewise:

1. April 2013- Dynamo Kiev- Stadium ban.
  2. August 2014- Steaua Bucharest- Partial Stadium Ban.
  3. August 2014- FC Debrecen- Partial Stadium Ban.
  4. Maribor- Partial Stadium ban.
  5. FC Chikhura Sachkhere- Partial Stadium ban.
  6. December 2014- Croatia- Partial Stadium ban.
  7. March 2015- Croatia- Stadium ban.
  8. July 2015- Croatia- Two game Stadium ban.
  9. September 2015- Romania- Stadium ban.
  10. October 2017- Spartak Moscow- Partial Stadium ban.
  11. December 2017- Zenit St Petersburg- Partial Stadium ban.
  12. June 2018- Atletico Madrid- Partial Stadium ban.
  13. August 2018- Lyon- Two game Stadium ban.
  14. August 2018- Red Star Belgrade- Two game Stadium ban.
  15. October 2018- Poland- Partial Stadium ban.
  16. October 2018- Romania- Stadium ban.
  17. November 2018- Greece- Partial Stadium ban.

Add in the CSKA v Man City in I assume October 2013- the game behind closed doors a year later. In fact CSKA had 3 behind closed doors that season, 2014/15.

@richwwtk not enough yes but an element of fake news too. The fines are generally pointless- on that I'm sure we can all agree! I wonder how much of the "UEFA do nothing" is driven by English media. Was in fact surprised myself at the number of partial or full stadium bans. Admittedly too many are just fined and warned as well.

@The Gasbuster may want to look at this too- bit more than often portrayed it seems, partial and stadium bans for racism by UEFA.

Again slightly off topic, but another precedent potentially being set. 

Wonder what will happen here? 

Derby County have said they are refusing to allow fans to take in their own refreshments next season.

It’s not gone down very well as you can imagine! 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2019/07/updated-bag-policy-and-outside-refreshment-policies?__twitter_impression=true

Can see other clubs following suit if this isn’t shot down quickly. 

On 17/07/2019 at 12:56, ZiderEyed said:

Fifa don’t do anything like enough to deal with racism in football regardless.

Don't do enough?

They gave the World Cup to Russia didn't they?  :)

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Derby County have said they are refusing to allow fans to take in their own refreshments next season.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2019/07/updated-bag-policy-and-outside-refreshment-policies?__twitter_impression=true

They have an £81m stadium to pay for ?

On topic, Montenegro behind closed doors game for the England one.

Bulgaria partial stadium closure for 2 games.

@The Gasbuster - Yep that UEFA do nothing but fine a few grand eh. :yes: Unlike our own FA! Why Millwall racist chanting (small minority granted) v Everton and they did- they did- er, er, er- what was the question again.

On this thing, potential issue/beginning of problems etc at Derby, can't say I'm surprised- I mean it's obviously a nonsense but does the cinema allow non medical related outside refreshments? Other clubs will certainly be looking at this with interest IMO.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On topic, Montenegro behind closed doors game for the England one.

Bulgaria partial stadium closure for 2 games.

@The Gasbuster - Yep that UEFA do nothing but fine a few grand eh. :yes: Unlike our own FA! Why Millwall racist chanting (small minority granted) v Everton and they did- they did- er, er, er- what was the question again.

On this thing, potential issue/beginning of problems etc at Derby, can't say I'm surprised- I mean it's obviously a nonsense but does the cinema allow non medical related outside refreshments? Other clubs will certainly be looking at this with interest IMO.

Most cinemas actually do, it's a bit of a myth that they don't.

10 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Most cinemas actually do, it's a bit of a myth that they don't.

While since I've been tbh.

Think I recall a mate- not me of course but a mate and this was without me there as I did not participate - telling me about how he snuck a variety of refreshments in routinely,  Showcase Cinema De Lux at Cabot Circus IIRC. Anyway they seemed under the impression about outside refreshments at the cinema.

18 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I'm disgusted by this.  I've been taking a flask and some half time snacks to the gate for over 50 years.  If City pulled this stunt, I would not renew my season card on principle and I know a few others that would take the same view.  Maybe I could carry stuff inside my coat unless they decide to body search everyone.  I think Derby have made a big mistake here and could end up paying a high price for it or before forced into an embarrassing climbdown.

Archived