IGNORED

Who do we usually beat and who are our 'bogey' teams?

robc

Our previous record against other teams means nothing the next time we play them, or does it? We all speak about having a good record against some teams but all have in our minds those that always do well against us – our so called ‘bogey’ teams. Well, here are the facts to make of as you will.

I have listed below our average points haul in all the league matches we have ever played against every Championship side for the coming season, (whatever Divisions the side were in at the time) using 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw throughout. They are shown in rank order, so our best home record is against Barnsley where we have averaged 2.39 points a game out of 3 (we have beaten them 34 times out of 46 at Ashton Gate). Our worst by far is against Leeds where we have averaged less than a point a game at home and won only 3 times in 9 matches (so on this basis we will do very well to get a point on the opening day!)

The historical stats show that the place we are most likely to win away is Wigan Athletic where we have averaged 1.46 points a game (5 away wins in 13 visits) whereas we have a terrible record at Derby County with an average of just 0.59 points a game (a woeful 5 away wins in 32 matches!).

It’s easy to dismiss these stats but interesting to reflect on how closely the facts match our own impressions of the teams we always do well against and/or who always seem to turn us over! What do you reckon?

Rob c

image.png.8b47d15d2a775ea2fd92de7736f5a442.png

52 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Can't wait until we finally beat Preston, I'd even celebrate a draw like a win against that lot. I like their fans but from the ones I've met they've become increasingly cocky towards us (who can blame them)

We drew our last game against them..! 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Cardiff away must've been really good some years ago then, because I've been there about 5/6 times (only once at Ninian) and still not seen us win. 

We had a fantastic record home and away against them  in the 70s and 80s, got to the point where you expected us to beat them, think we hardly lost against them in the league for 20  odd years. In fact from 1971 until 1990 we never lost a match against them home or away, league or cup. In fact even up till 2003 they had only beat us once since August 1971.

4 hours ago, Sturny said:

Can't wait until we finally beat Preston, I'd even celebrate a draw like a win against that lot. I like their fans but from the ones I've met they've become increasingly cocky towards us (who can blame them)

My first City game was February 1969 and we beat PNE 2-1. See it can happen.

7 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Wolves. We have only beaten them 5 times since 1990 -  All of which were at home. And we haven't won at their place since the 1930s!

Apologies for my sardonic post as I've just seen your earlier post. Let's see if we can get to 2031 before we beat them at Molineux!

15 hours ago, pillred said:

We had a fantastic record home and away against them  in the 70s and 80s, got to the point where you expected us to beat them, think we hardly lost against them in the league for 20  odd years. In fact from 1971 until 1990 we never lost a match against them home or away, league or cup. In fact even up till 2003 they had only beat us once since August 1971.

Cardiff fan here. You're right, in the 70's, 80's & 90's you had a great record against us. I started going to away games in the mid-70's, I must have visited Ashton Gate about 4 times in all and never saw us get anything. One of those games was the League Cup in 1992 - you had the likes of Cole, Allison and Rosenior playing for you. Your movement and pace that evening was streets ahead of us, we duly lost 5-1.. Andy Cole getting a hatrick!

Archived