IGNORED

SUPPORTER LIAISON UPDATE

Matt Parsons

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

100% spot on the club ain’t interested 

That’s definitely the impression I get from meeting both DaveL and MattP. 

Neither of them had any influence over the decisions the club made regarding us fans and because of that fact those disgruntled fans tend to go to the SC&T rather than the SLO as happened not so long ago with match day pricing.

The SLO position is nothing more than a token gesture from the club.

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s definitely the impression I get from meeting both DaveL and MattP. 

Neither of them had any influence over the decisions the club made regarding us fans and because of that fact those disgruntled fans tend to go to the SC&T rather than the SLO as happened not so long ago with match day pricing.

The SLO position is nothing more than a token gesture from the club.

It’s a “tick in the box” nothing more at all. 

Waste of time and space in my experience.

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Whoever holds FLO position should not be employed by the club that pays their salary. He/she is immediately 1-0 under that arrangement.

To have any influence the person needs to be independent and mutually respected  by both the club and the fans.

3 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Not if done right it wouldn't be IMO.

However as currently constituted, I believe it may well be! That's before we even get onto the combining of jobs.

The new SLO incidentally, is this a dedicated role, with no add ones/side duties or indeed other matchhday duties, such as those Adam Baker had?

City chief executive officer Mark Ashton told bcfc.co.uk: “The role of Supporter Liaison Officer is an important one, for both fans and the club, and it’s something we have been looking at for some time. 

“Bristol City fans deserve a full time Supporter Liaison Officer and we believe Matt will be able to provide an important bridge between the club and the fanbase.

What's changed Mark? Why are we suddenly undeserving?

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not if done right it wouldn't be IMO.

However as currently constituted, I believe it may well be! That's before we even get onto the combining of jobs.

The new SLO incidentally, is this a dedicated role, with no add ones/side duties or indeed other matchhday duties, such as those Adam Baker had?

The new SLO has a very demanding role which I would think he barely has time to furfil never mind getting SLO work as extras. But i’m fully expecting him to be promoted in 12mths time to Matt Parson’s PA ?, if he toes the line in the meantime of course!

IMO @Matt Parsons BCFCSLOIs a great chap who engaged well as SLO. However, although a City fan, he always said first and foremost he was an employee of Bristol Sport. Towards the end of last season it was apparent the club where not fully behind the SLO role as he spent more time with the players than fans at away games. The creation of his new role would seem to prove this. The fact that the club want to change this coupled with actions like running away from the FAN would hint that they are only providing a token engagement with fans because they have to.

As for Matt, I think he’s a top bloke and wish him well in whatever he does.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

City chief executive officer Mark Ashton told bcfc.co.uk: “The role of Supporter Liaison Officer is an important one, for both fans and the club, and it’s something we have been looking at for some time. 

“Bristol City fans deserve a full time Supporter Liaison Officer and we believe Matt will be able to provide an important bridge between the club and the fanbase.

Bit like marriage vows for many. "meant it at the time". 

• Admin
5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Great find.

We only have the SC&T as a voice now. To me they should be quoting this and asking what is going on? 

3 hours ago, RedM said:

The new SLO has a very demanding role which I would think he barely has time to furfil never mind getting SLO work as extras. But i’m fully expecting him to be promoted in 12mths time to Matt Parson’s PA ?, if he toes the line in the meantime of course!

Thanks.

Sounds like a definite downgrade then- in terms of scope etc.

I first lost a bit of faith in the system in terms of direction of travel, when a thread about subsidised travel to Hull for a potentially season defining game (not in our hands granted) IIRC it wasn't even acknowledged but happy to look back and amend this post if necessary.

23 hours ago, phantom said:

Like others have said @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO has always been a friendly and approachable figure to me and my friends

But even going back to Dave's time in the job, it never feels like the club are putting enough importance on the position, this in turn means those in the role take un-necessary flak

It does concern me that this new guy is not going to have the time for the role, when it was shared with Adam I'm not sure I was aware of one bit of liaison they did

Anyway below are a few extracts from the UEFA handbook that every club should adhering to

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I would cut my arms after three lines. I refuse to read the bullshit. 

On 18/07/2019 at 12:31, Badger08 said:

GOOD LUCK MATT. 

On 18/07/2019 at 22:24, Badger08 said:

I echo this actually. Good luck Matt..

Look mate, no need to still be having a pop at the bloke, we understand he didn’t handle your particular enquiry that well. But just wish him all the best so we can move on.

people these days.... jeez 

Regarding the role Matt has moved into, I would think this is a good example of the club looking for the small margins. Anyone who has seen interviews with Dave Brailsford will know that they saw their cyclists comfort when travelling hugely important. Right down to the right kind of mattresses in hotels and carrying their own pillows.

Getting the right hotels the right facilities for working out and warming down, the right kind of transport for longer journeys and so on will be increasingly important over time.

• SC&T Board Members
34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@phantom thanks for sharing the SLO document.  So it’s a bit more than responding to OTIB and Twitter then!!! ???

It certainly is. And drawing on that UEFA document, the SC&T drew up the following SLO job spec in 2016 and shared it with the club:

SLO job spec page 1.gif

SLO job spec page 2.gif

SLO job spec page 3.gif

There is a lot in here too and it is unlikely that any one individual would tick every box or be able to fulfil all parts of the role as described, but it would be good if the club aspired to this sort of benchmark and did its best to get as close as possible. I fear that they do not have such aspirations.

Would you like an SLO who got as close as possible to fulfilling this job spec?

'The SLO should be chosen from among the supporters. The SLO must be present among them.The SLO must know them and be known and accepted by them. Only then can they assess the mood among supporters. Only then can they understand the problems fans may face and their needs and wants.'

The new bloke - is he a long term active City supporter? :dunno:

On 19/07/2019 at 08:46, phantom said:

Great find.

We only have the SC&T as a voice now. To me they should be quoting this and asking what is going on? 

Raising that with Soundbyte Man will only yield another soundbite. 

17 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'The SLO should be chosen from among the supporters. The SLO must be present among them.The SLO must know them and be known and accepted by them. Only then can they assess the mood among supporters. Only then can they understand the problems fans may face and their needs and wants.'

The new bloke - is he a long term active City supporter? :dunno:

Maybe suddenly having to attend away games might be quite a shock to him.

On 19/07/2019 at 10:12, bristolcitysweden said:

I would cut my arms after three lines. I refuse to read the bullshit. 

On a practical note Tommy

Having cut the first one off, how would you manage the second .....

:whistle2:

( Love your ramblings mate, one of the best bits of OTIB  :thumbsup: ) 

Archived