Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alan Dicks

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Surprised, he’s 30, not premier league quality and they have better options (even if bamba is injured). Middlesbrough would want their money back and for that there are many better defenders out there

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Surprised, he’s 30, not premier league quality and they have better options (even if bamba is injured). Middlesbrough would want their money back and for that there are many better defenders out there

Plus a nice little sell on for us I would imagine

He’d probably be an excellent fit for a Neil Warnock team. A much more logical choice for his style of play than Bobby Reid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He’d probably be an excellent fit for a Neil Warnock team. A much more logical choice for his style of play than Bobby Reid. 

Yes a good fit..Colin will play him up front as Zohore's replacement !!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That's what everyone said when he signed for Pulis. I still say we had his best years and he is an ever declining force.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Might not be one....plus it would have to be a profit on the £7m we sold him for....and Swindon would be owed some too.  Obviously not looking a gift horse in the mouth though 😜

22 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Can't see boro making a profit on what they paid. Sell ons %ages are only profit usually. If anything we will lose out as I expect some of the add ons are payable upon each year of a completed season. In other words we are entitled to £250k for every year completed on his contract. That's if we have that sort of clause in place of course

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might not be one....plus it would have to be a profit on the £7m we sold him for....and Swindon would be owed some too.  Obviously not looking a gift horse in the mouth though 😜

Why would Swindon be owed surely they had their cut when we sold him?

4 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Why would Swindon be owed surely they had their cut when we sold him?

It continues!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Not saying you’re wrong Dave but are you sure about that , I didn’t think a club could keep having a cut on a players future moves

Yep 100% until the chain is broken and he’s sold for a loss. Ask @Coppello

• Like 1
  • Rovers 1

30 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Ok I’ll take your word on it 👍

Ha ha. Yes, there was an example in the Webster thread I think where hypothetically if we sold Webster to Villa for £x, both Ipswich and Portsmouth got their cuts. 

• Like 1

I think this could have legs.

Colin creams over a six foot plus player much in the same way as tiny penis and isn't put off by age or money. He'll see that he can revive Flint's career much in the same way as he's done with Bamba.

Boro seriously need to trim and as it hasn't worked out for Flinty up there they'll be looking to fleece the taffs.

I suppose one of the questions has to be whether the old dinosaur still has the wherter originals as it's long overdue for the sake of modern football world that he exits stage left like the pantomime dame he is and takes up crocheting 

• Aubergine 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What about Alfreton Town? Our very own Danny Wilson brought Aden to Wiltshire - surely Alfreton will be holding their hands out?!

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What about Alfreton Town? Our very own Danny Wilson brought Aden to Wiltshire - surely Alfreton will be holding their hands out?!

If they had a sell-on clause they will’ve got their share too.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If they had a sell-on clause they will’ve got their share too.

Surely that would be down to Swindon. It’s like Russian dolls innit? 

1 minute ago, Dunc said:

Surely that would be down to Swindon. It’s like Russian dolls innit? 

Yes, Exactly that, we don’t pay Alfreton anything, we pay Swindon. Swindon have to sort out Alfreton.

Surely a great move for Flinty if it turns out to be true - he will get another signing on fee and having signed a decent deal at Boro will still be getting paid off/compensated for the remainder of his contract? Plus he gets to move back closer to his besty Marlon 

• Like 1

It looks nailed on that he's going to sign for us (medical arranged for today, apparently). As you know him better than most, what are his strengths & weaknesses. The fee is reported to be 6m.. value or not?

We've done terrifically well here. Boro have had a shocker.

So we originally got £7m for Flinty - take off say 20% for Swindon - £5.6m profit.

Boro are selling Flinty for £6m - take off 20% for us - £1.2m - of which 20% goes to Swindon - £960k for us.

This means we've made circa £6.5m for Flint. 

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Show's how well run we are now!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

So we originally got £7m for Flinty - take off say 20% for Swindon - £5.6m profit.

Boro are selling Flinty for £6m - take off 20% for us - £1.2m - of which 20% goes to Swindon - £960k for us.

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Annoying that Swindon get paid twice FFS. Thought they would have only received the sell on once, from the first time Flint was sold by us. 

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Not sure we would stand to make anything if Boro are selling him for less than they paid us.

I think we can sit back and reflect on business well done though.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Selred said:

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Usually sell on clauses are on profit

• Thanks 1

Tomlin apparently has turned over a new leaf- like a new signing for them if true (unfortunately)!

They'll get an interesting reception at AG. Well Tomlin will anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How does this fit in once the chain is broken, i.e. of ever higher fees as @Davefevs and @Coppello have referred to?

Other question, was our £7m a straight fee or up to £7m once add ons included? Big difference!

No idea. All undisclosed, but my xls says £7m. I reckon for a player at 28/29 we would’ve haggled for as much of a fee as possible rather than adding in add-ons for a player who might realistically never achieve them, albeit promotion clause might be one. But let’s just assume it was a straight £7m fee (whether all up front or staged payments make little difference other than cash flow) plus 10% sell on profit. 

Then if Boro sold for £7m then no profit us generated and the sell on chain back to us, Swindon and Alfreton is broken, irrespective is Cardiff then sold him for £100m.  

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure we would stand to make anything if Boro are selling him for less than they paid us.

I think we can sit back and reflect on business well done though.

Yes, if we assume it’s s sell-on profit percentage then we don’t get anything unless they sell him for more than they paid us. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tomlin apparently has turned over a new leaf- like a new signing for them if true (unfortunately)!

Probably worked out that last seasons loan moves wouldn't equate to another signing on fee somewhere and he was stuck with Cardiff.

Just remains to be seen if he can get his head right for an entire campaign.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably worked out that last seasons loan moves wouldn't equate to another signing on fee somewhere and he was stuck with Cardiff.

Just remains to be seen if he can get his head right for an entire campaign.

Based on Twitter pics, he looks in pretty decent physical shape. Head right consistently and something like I dunno Hoilett Tomlin Murphy Reid, that could be pretty lethal in a 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How does this fit in once the chain is broken, i.e. of ever higher fees as @Davefevs and @Coppello have referred to?

Other question, was our £7m a straight fee or up to £7m once add ons included? Big difference!

If we sold Flint for £7m and Cardiff purchase him for £6m then no sell-ons will be received by us or Swindon. If the £7m is based on contingents ie £5.5m up-front and £1.5m on promotion it would be different as the clauses have not been realised. It gets pretty complicated and confusing. I'd be surprised if we made an amount which would affect our transfer strategy in any way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Latcher said:

It looks nailed on that he's going to sign for us (medical arranged for today, apparently). As you know him better than most, what are his strengths & weaknesses. The fee is reported to be 6m.. value or not?

His goals hide his limitations. He was probably at fault for 5-6 goals a season at our place but he would score 7. At boro the goals dried up so the fan were less forgiving.

He'd head low flying aircraft if it came near his goal but there is no guarantee which direction it will go in once he does.

Loves a long ball but can look like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet or when quick players are running at him.

All action-  puts his body on the line every game.

Loves to be the hero.

Miserable sod.

Strange thing to say about a centre half, but get him scoring again (wouldnt put it past colin) and it could be a decent buy as hes a confidence player imo.

Don't and he will warm the subs bench.

Also for what it's worth he was shite first year for us so suprised boro don't want to give him one more go.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Selred said:

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Wouldn't be so sure about us getting a cut. The sell on usually only applies if the selling club make a profit on the deal, assuming there is a sell-on, there might not be because of Aden's age - it would have looked unlikely that they would be selling him for more than they bought him.

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He was for us at the time. Was shit at Boro by all accounts . No pace likes a hoof 

Likes a hoof? He'll fit in well in Wales then.

Image result for wales sheep gif

Edited by Coppello
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Typical Warnock defender. 

Seems he was poor at Middlesbrough and didn't score the goals to mask his defensive frailties like he did here. 

• Like 1

I think our love affair with Flint was more due to how much of a 'cult hero' he was on and off the pitch.

Scored a fair few goals for us granted, play long balls into the box and he's up there with the best in the league, get the ball on the deck and that's where he was generally exposed. 

Typically a 'no nonsense' type of player. Should fit in well with a Warnock side.

• Like 1

Was a great player for us - a fully committed, ever present with a really good injury and disciplinary record for a defender and also got more than his fair share number of goals.

But we’ve upgraded significantly since he left and he doesn’t fit with the style of play we want to achieve now.  In retrospect it was a good move all round when he left for Boro.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hasn't seemed to work out for him at Boro

Will be interesting to see which way his career goes at these crossroads

If he is approaching 30, then this is probably his last big contract.

Beyond this, dare say it will depend how much cash he has made and if he likely playing football.

He came in to the pro game late, so probably hasn't made as much as some, so might well play on down the leagues after his next contract.

6 years from now, Rovers will sign him.

Morrison/Bamba/Flint CB options? Drop Diedhiou and play Weimann/Semenyo upfront with Szmodics just behind them for me, run their CB's ragged

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

Unbelievable isn't it. Some of the comments on here

Absolutely rock for us, and one of the main reasons we progressed like we did. 

He will be very good for Cardiff . Would be a perfect fit for him

• Like 6

Would have loved to have had the guy back it worked for Carey and Murray our squad would benefit from his experience. But priorities lie else where striker creative midfielder etc.

• Aubergine 1

36 minutes ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

Not saying he's shit but for me he was a mid to upper mid table championship defender with us, he'll suit Cardiff's style but for a club having just been relegated I would question whether he's of the quality to be putting them definitely in the frame for fighting for automatic promotion.

Who would you rather, Flint for £6m or Kalas for £8m? £2m difference for someone 3 years younger who (to me at least) seems the better player. Flint could easily also be on more at Boro (and then Cardiff) then we're playing Kalas as well, so the question is does Flint represent value for money.

• Like 5