IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How does this fit in once the chain is broken, i.e. of ever higher fees as @Davefevs and @Coppello have referred to?

Other question, was our £7m a straight fee or up to £7m once add ons included? Big difference!

No idea. All undisclosed, but my xls says £7m. I reckon for a player at 28/29 we would’ve haggled for as much of a fee as possible rather than adding in add-ons for a player who might realistically never achieve them, albeit promotion clause might be one. But let’s just assume it was a straight £7m fee (whether all up front or staged payments make little difference other than cash flow) plus 10% sell on profit. 

Then if Boro sold for £7m then no profit us generated and the sell on chain back to us, Swindon and Alfreton is broken, irrespective is Cardiff then sold him for £100m.  

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure we would stand to make anything if Boro are selling him for less than they paid us.

I think we can sit back and reflect on business well done though.

Yes, if we assume it’s s sell-on profit percentage then we don’t get anything unless they sell him for more than they paid us. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tomlin apparently has turned over a new leaf- like a new signing for them if true (unfortunately)!

Probably worked out that last seasons loan moves wouldn't equate to another signing on fee somewhere and he was stuck with Cardiff.

Just remains to be seen if he can get his head right for an entire campaign.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably worked out that last seasons loan moves wouldn't equate to another signing on fee somewhere and he was stuck with Cardiff.

Just remains to be seen if he can get his head right for an entire campaign.

Based on Twitter pics, he looks in pretty decent physical shape. Head right consistently and something like I dunno Hoilett Tomlin Murphy Reid, that could be pretty lethal in a 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How does this fit in once the chain is broken, i.e. of ever higher fees as @Davefevs and @Coppello have referred to?

Other question, was our £7m a straight fee or up to £7m once add ons included? Big difference!

If we sold Flint for £7m and Cardiff purchase him for £6m then no sell-ons will be received by us or Swindon. If the £7m is based on contingents ie £5.5m up-front and £1.5m on promotion it would be different as the clauses have not been realised. It gets pretty complicated and confusing. I'd be surprised if we made an amount which would affect our transfer strategy in any way. 

30 minutes ago, Latcher said:

It looks nailed on that he's going to sign for us (medical arranged for today, apparently). As you know him better than most, what are his strengths & weaknesses. The fee is reported to be 6m.. value or not?

His goals hide his limitations. He was probably at fault for 5-6 goals a season at our place but he would score 7. At boro the goals dried up so the fan were less forgiving.

He'd head low flying aircraft if it came near his goal but there is no guarantee which direction it will go in once he does.

Loves a long ball but can look like bambi on ice with the ball at his feet or when quick players are running at him.

All action-  puts his body on the line every game.

Loves to be the hero.

Miserable sod.

Strange thing to say about a centre half, but get him scoring again (wouldnt put it past colin) and it could be a decent buy as hes a confidence player imo.

Don't and he will warm the subs bench.

Also for what it's worth he was shite first year for us so suprised boro don't want to give him one more go.

48 minutes ago, Selred said:

We've done terrifically well here. Boro have had a shocker.

So we originally got £7m for Flinty - take off say 20% for Swindon - £5.6m profit.

Boro are selling Flinty for £6m - take off 20% for us - £1.2m - of which 20% goes to Swindon - £960k for us.

This means we've made circa £6.5m for Flint. 

Boro lose £2.2m. 

Show's how well run we are now!! 

Wouldn't be so sure about us getting a cut. The sell on usually only applies if the selling club make a profit on the deal, assuming there is a sell-on, there might not be because of Aden's age - it would have looked unlikely that they would be selling him for more than they bought him.

I think our love affair with Flint was more due to how much of a 'cult hero' he was on and off the pitch.

Scored a fair few goals for us granted, play long balls into the box and he's up there with the best in the league, get the ball on the deck and that's where he was generally exposed. 

Typically a 'no nonsense' type of player. Should fit in well with a Warnock side.

Was a great player for us - a fully committed, ever present with a really good injury and disciplinary record for a defender and also got more than his fair share number of goals.

But we’ve upgraded significantly since he left and he doesn’t fit with the style of play we want to achieve now.  In retrospect it was a good move all round when he left for Boro.

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hasn't seemed to work out for him at Boro

Will be interesting to see which way his career goes at these crossroads

If he is approaching 30, then this is probably his last big contract.

Beyond this, dare say it will depend how much cash he has made and if he likely playing football.

He came in to the pro game late, so probably hasn't made as much as some, so might well play on down the leagues after his next contract.

6 years from now, Rovers will sign him.

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

Unbelievable isn't it. Some of the comments on here

Absolutely rock for us, and one of the main reasons we progressed like we did. 

He will be very good for Cardiff . Would be a perfect fit for him

36 minutes ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

Not saying he's shit but for me he was a mid to upper mid table championship defender with us, he'll suit Cardiff's style but for a club having just been relegated I would question whether he's of the quality to be putting them definitely in the frame for fighting for automatic promotion.

Who would you rather, Flint for £6m or Kalas for £8m? £2m difference for someone 3 years younger who (to me at least) seems the better player. Flint could easily also be on more at Boro (and then Cardiff) then we're playing Kalas as well, so the question is does Flint represent value for money.

13 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Would have loved to have had the guy back it worked for Carey and Murray our squad would benefit from his experience. But priorities lie else where striker creative midfielder etc.

Do you honestly think he’s better then Kalas or Webster? 

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Fair amount of nonsense written here about Flint . We just spent a club record fee and £20k a week wages on replacing him, of course Kalas is a step up and so he should be. We also spent 3.5 M on Baker and another bucket of wages and failed to replace him adequately. It is also thanks to his transfer fee the club had the funds to do a deal for Webster and pay the loan of Kalas last season.  To dismiss his contribution to us  and also his time at Boro (how many last season underperformed with the nonsense of Pullis ) is pathetic, his stats hold up against all but the very best in our league. There are a huge number of players that have been through our door that have cost far more, contributed nothing and achieved nothing. He was one of the few that pulled the team together to halt relegation and keep LJ in a job. City helped make a great career for Flint, but Flint helped make City a damn site better than when he joined. I cannot recall many players like that over the last 50 years. 

I think the big shame with Flint was that he had the chance to become a club legend for all time, especially following the promotion season, the No No No business, all the goals, all the tackles, the cup run, but for his own reasons, pushed for a move, instead of staying and helping us achieve promotion and in doing so, becoming a legend.

I know it’s all about the $$$$$ these days but when he looks back on his career, I think the time at City has to be his career highlight, and he could have been the next Murray or Tinnion.  Shame

I think a lot of people’s views of him are masked by his quote about Swindon and the passion he showed for the club, as well as his goal scoring exploits. 

Yes, he is a club idol, and he’s loved here for all that he did for the club. However, I wouldn’t have him back and I’m surprised Cardiff are after him. He was good in the air (as would any 6 ft 6 centre back be) but he lacked pace and unlike some centre backs who made up for that positionally (Terry being the best example) he was sometimes caught out. On the floor he was lacking as well, especially when compared to Webster and even Kalas. 

I love him as much as the next City fan but is he a top half championship defender, never mind one for a promotion chasing side? Not for me

I loved Flint. He was completely fearless, ever present and hardly ever booked. In our defence, he was a rock - and could always pop up with a goal. When he left, I thought that we would find it impossible to replace him. We signed Adam Webster, from Ipswich which has opened our eyes to some of Aiden's defensive shortcomings. If Flint was a car, he'd be a mid-range Audi. Webster is a top of the range BMW 7-series.

I'd never slag off Flint because he did so much to get us where we are today but in hindsight, I think that we got the best from him and sold him when he was at the top of his game, for a very good price. I don't think he'll likely ever reach those heights again - at either end of the pitch - but he'll be a very good signing for Cardiff.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Loads of time for the bloke. Gave his all every time he walked out on the grass for us.

We have significantly upgraded by that does not take away what he did for us.

This, and the earlier post by Billy wedlock, are spot on. Both Webster and Kalas are more accomplished footballers than Flint but you could never deny his contribution to City's rise or his willingness to put his body on the line for the cause. He wasn't a cult hero for nothing, and his goal contribution was second to none from a centre back. Not the least because around half of his goals were not scored with the head but included volleys, half volleys, scissor kicks and back heels. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

I certainly never really rated him that high but never thought he was shit either just what he is an average lumbering defender! 

He will give his all for you but always had an air of vulnerability in games that would concede goals! But that often got over looked because he scored regularly! 

26 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This, and the earlier post by Billy wedlock, are spot on. Both Webster and Kalas are more accomplished footballers than Flint but you could never deny his contribution to City's rise or his willingness to put his body on the line for the cause. He wasn't a cult hero for nothing, and his goal contribution was second to none from a centre back. Not the least because around half of his goals were not scored with the head but included volleys, half volleys, scissor kicks and back heels. 

Plus in his final few seasons but notably his final season he improved technically- bonus perhaps but he did.

Besides which, as you say some volleys, half-volleys, scissor kicks and back heels- some of those finishes showed a level of technique a forward or attacking midfielder would be quite pleased with.

Archived