IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

He always gave his all, and has never (to my knowledge) said a bad word against the club. So long as that carries on, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, he will continue to have my respect, regardless of who he plays for - much like Reid (despite his head tapping antics!!).

Tomlin is a different kettle of fish. He didn't always give his all, and depending if you believe what you hear/read, was disruptive. He will not have my respect.

Aden had/has faults, and I do feel that defensively we are better now without him - largely due to his replacement in Webster, and us securing Kalas and Dasilva. The fact is, if he was at the club now at this present time, he wouldn't automatically be in our best 11. That just shows how far as a club we have come.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Then if Boro sold for £7m then no profit us generated and the sell on chain back to us, Swindon and Alfreton is broken, irrespective is Cardiff then sold him for £100m.  

Moot point, but not quite Dave. If Boro had a sell on clause, they'd be due a figure of that £100m and we'd be due a figure from Boro, as we are due a %'age of all income they receive for the player now and in future. 

Aden Flint will become a legend of this club. Those who saw him will recall things he did genuine pleasure. Those who were to young to have seen him play will listen to  those stories and wish they had.

The truth is he was a very good player for us over a few years. He excelled at his strengths and tried to improve on the areas he was weaker in. He was an upgraded Jamie McCoomb.

Flint was to us much more than a centre half who scored regularly, he was a true leader and motivator who led by example. His personality endeared him to the fanbase, and I'm sure his answer to the Swindon promotion question elevated his cult status even higher.

He was the player we needed at the time, but, as he was an upgrade to McCoomb Webster showed himself an upgrade on Flinty. As I said, Aden Flint will become a legend to match his icon/cult hero status, and as such I'll stand a show my appreciation of him whoever he plays for when he returns to Ashton Gate, even that sheepish bunch across the Bristol channel.

AF's time with Bristol City has gone, he's nicely feathering his nest with 2 signing on fees in 12 months.  He did a great job with us and good luck to him, as if he had not have gone, then we would not have signed the finest centre back in the championship................Come on down AW!

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plus in his final few seasons but notably his final season he improved technically- bonus perhaps but he did.

Besides which, as you say some volleys, half-volleys, scissor kicks and back heels- some of those finishes showed a level of technique a forward or attacking midfielder would be quite pleased with.

Don't forget his Rabona!

20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

That would work very well if championship football has turned into a non contact game

That's assuming their CB's can get close enough to the forwards to get a hand on them. Fair few times with us Flint lose his man getting dragged out of position, if the other CB isn't mobile enough to cover the gap then pockets of space open up.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

This.

Lots of revisionism on here and social media. We've moved on, He's moved on. Let's not forget what he helped us achieve and wish him all the best. I'll remember the good times.  

14 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Moot point, but not quite Dave. If Boro had a sell on clause, they'd be due a figure of that £100m and we'd be due a figure from Boro, as we are due a %'age of all income they receive for the player now and in future. 

I did say the sell on chain back to us is broken, which it would be. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tomlin apparently has turned over a new leaf- like a new signing for them if true (unfortunately)!

They'll get an interesting reception at AG. Well Tomlin will anyway.

bring back the bowyers pie girls at half time.. watching shilton dodge them was funny,watching tomlin gathering them would be funnier

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did say the sell on chain back to us is broken, which it would be. 

I see, I misread your example as being Boro sold now for no profit, but later realised a 10% sell on from Cardiff's subsequent sale, taking them then into profit and thus more funds being passed down the chain. 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think the big shame with Flint was that he had the chance to become a club legend for all time, especially following the promotion season, the No No No business, all the goals, all the tackles, the cup run, but for his own reasons, pushed for a move, instead of staying and helping us achieve promotion and in doing so, becoming a legend.

I know it’s all about the $$$$$ these days but when he looks back on his career, I think the time at City has to be his career highlight, and he could have been the next Murray or Tinnion.  Shame

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Flint could have run down his contract and trousered a bigger signing on fee or thrown his toys out of the pram when we turned the bid from Brum down, he didn't. It's interesting you using Louis Carey as an example of a legend, one of our own who just prior to leaving for Coventry slagged off his boyhood club.

Don't get me wrong Louis Carey's City career does indeed make him an iconic player and yes even a legend but so is Aden Flint despite his leaving for Boro. Aden Flint is and always will be up there with the best for City and as such will always be respected by me. 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Be interesting to see if Warnock can unlock the old Flint, scoring wise 

The difference at Boro was he wasn’t their main target at set pieces, here we practiced them around Flint getting on the end of them. 

Whether Warnock does the same as us will be interesting, especially considering the other threats they have at set pieces

8 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Flint could have run down his contract and trousered a bigger signing on fee or thrown his toys out of the pram when we turned the bid from Brum down, he didn't. It's interesting you using Louis Carey as an example of a legend, one of our own who just prior to leaving for Coventry slagged off his boyhood club.

Don't get me wrong Louis Carey's City career does indeed make him an iconic player and yes even a legend but so is Aden Flint despite his leaving for Boro. Aden Flint is and always will be up there with the best for City and as such will always be respected by me. 

Apologies but I didn’t use Carey as an example?  I used Tinnion and Murray?  Anyway my post was pointing out that he could have been a legend like these two players if he would have seen out his days.  I never mentioned him not giving 100% or being crap or anything, I liked him as a player, and personally I never boo ex players generally, please re-read my original post

5 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I loved both players, but Flint iseems to a much more intelligent person than Carey. Flint knows exactly what he is doing and saying, he thinks before opening his mouth or gets tricked by a journo. Both have a place in our history, but that’s it history. We have moved on and I wouldn’t want him back, if he did he would only be sitting on the bench and he absolutely hates not playing and wouldn’t be a good influence in the dressing room I don’t think. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The difference at Boro was he wasn’t their main target at set pieces, here we practiced them around Flint getting on the end of them. 

Whether Warnock does the same as us will be interesting, especially considering the other threats they have at set pieces

I think we play better football now by not doing this. It got too predictable and teams found us out. Flint was often left wrong footed and got stroppy when EVERY ball wasn’t directed at him. It was quite negative at times.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think we play better football now by not doing this. It got too predictable and teams found us out. Flint was often left wrong footed and got stroppy when EVERY ball wasn’t directed at him. It was quite negative at times.

Yep I’d agree. 

It was obvious who we were aiming for, the thing was it worked so regularly to begin with that when it didn’t work we didn’t have a plan B. 

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I think a lot of people’s views of him are masked by his quote about Swindon and the passion he showed for the club, as well as his goal scoring exploits. 

Yes, he is a club idol, and he’s loved here for all that he did for the club. However, I wouldn’t have him back and I’m surprised Cardiff are after him. He was good in the air (as would any 6 ft 6 centre back be) but he lacked pace and unlike some centre backs who made up for that positionally (Terry being the best example) he was sometimes caught out. On the floor he was lacking as well, especially when compared to Webster and even Kalas. 

I love him as much as the next City fan but is he a top half championship defender, never mind one for a promotion chasing side? Not for me

Lacked pace ?

:laughcont:

he was the second quickest in the squad

His performance at Brighton that basically kept us in this division worth special recognition let alone numerous blocks , and vital point winning goals he contributed 

Webster is an excellent all round footballer , and Kalas a warrior and solid as hell but  laughable that people think him so ordinary 

Ayling was garbage .....

Freeman complete dross ...

yah

yah

like teenage girls after being  dumped by their boyfriend 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lacked pace ?

His performance at Brighton that basically kept us in this division worth special recognition let alone numerous blocks , and vital point winning goals he contributed 

Webster is an excellent all round footballer , and Kalas a warrior and solid as hell but  laughable that people think him so ordinary 

Ayling was garbage .....

yah

yah

When did I say he was ordinary? In fact I you read the post carefully I was pretty complementary...

He did lack pace, whether he was the second quickest in the squad (a fact that I’d doubt) or not is irrelevant. He would regularly get outpaced, especially alongside Baker it was always frightening when we played a side with a quick striker.

His performance against Brighton was good yes, and that summed him up. Limited technically but willing to put his body on the line.

What do Ayling and Freeman have to do with this anyway? Are either of them moving to Cardiff?

16 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Apologies but I didn’t use Carey as an example?  I used Tinnion and Murray?  Anyway my post was pointing out that he could have been a legend like these two players if he would have seen out his days.  I never mentioned him not giving 100% or being crap or anything, I liked him as a player, and personally I never boo ex players generally, please re-read my original post

Very sorry my mistake. But even Scotty Murray left us for Reading. Gone are the days of John Atyeo and the one club player. 

It's all about opinions and viewpoints, I'd say he is a legend and for you he could have been, both views have their merits. But I think we can agree he's brought a smile to our faces on many occasions. 

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lacked pace ?

Ayling was garbage .....

yah

yah

I agree her certainly didn’t lack pace, he certainly was able to run the length of the pitch and get back to defend quite easily and saved our skin numerous times. He must have covered miles in any one match. I do think though he lacked composure at times with the ball at his feet, (whilst defending) he was certainly better with his head and using his stature to intimidate. But if was great with his feet too he would have played in the Premier League by now.

24 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

When did I say he was ordinary? In fact I you read the post carefully I was pretty complementary...

He did lack pace, whether he was the second quickest in the squad (a fact that I’d doubt) or not is irrelevant. He would regularly get outpaced, especially alongside Baker it was always frightening when we played a side with a quick striker.

His performance against Brighton was good yes, and that summed him up. Limited technically but willing to put his body on the line.

What do Ayling and Freeman have to do with this anyway? Are either of them moving to Cardiff?

I didn’t say you labelled him as ordinary

I quoted you regarding misconception regarding his pace

if you doubt this - you label the Clubs fitness guy as a liar btw

and need to get some glasses

As for ‘limited technically’ , he may be no passing Pirlo but in his goal scoring alone he demonstrates some  ‘technical ability’ alone that a lot of centre halves would simply not be capable of

’Limited technically ‘ compared to who / how many ?

The rest of the comments were how some turn on a player , and moreso label them as over rated / poor etc etc when they move on ,

Freeman , Ayling , Bryan , Flint , Reid ..etc .. all subject of it 

I can probably recall 2 or 3 hundred who contributed a tiny fraction , at the very best , of what any of the above did 

Short memories

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I agree her certainly didn’t lack pace, he certainly was able to run the length of the pitch and get back to defend quite easily and saved our skin numerous times. He must have covered miles in any one match. I do think though he lacked composure at times with the ball at his feet, (whilst defending) he was certainly better with his head and using his stature to intimidate. But if was great with his feet too he would have played in the Premier League by now.

That’s very fair M

He was IMHO magnificent for us and a major component in our rise and promotion from L1 and a couple of years hanging in and stabalising our Championship status

Would i swop him for Webster or Kalas , no but we are extremely fortunate to have both and Flint wouldn’t be far down any list if I needed to replace them 

He’s moved on , we’ve moved on but people’s lack of appreciation of his qualities , guts , determination , contribution quite bemusing 

He's in the Hall of Fame for sure. We've moved on and i think we saw his best years then pocketed a tidy sum for him.

Certainly still up to Champ standard and Cardiff under Colin sounds like a good move for him.

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The question he would be under what tests did he finish 2nd. We often see players so 30m sprints, in these tests players with longer strides can do well because of the fact they can accelerate quicker but may not measure peak speed. Not calling Flint slow over longer distances because I remember the Utd game and the Lukaku (?) challenge. However I felt a weakness of Flint in games was reaction time and ability to turn and go while keeping up with attacking players movement after being pulled out of position. 

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I think a lot of people’s views of him are masked by his quote about Swindon and the passion he showed for the club, as well as his goal scoring exploits. 

Yes, he is a club idol, and he’s loved here for all that he did for the club. However, I wouldn’t have him back and I’m surprised Cardiff are after him. He was good in the air (as would any 6 ft 6 centre back be) but he lacked pace and unlike some centre backs who made up for that positionally (Terry being the best example) he was sometimes caught out. On the floor he was lacking as well, especially when compared to Webster and even Kalas. 

I love him as much as the next City fan but is he a top half championship defender, never mind one for a promotion chasing side? Not for me

I overrated him. Only realised since we brought in Kalas and Webster how Flint is not a top championship centre back. 

The championship has evolved and I think centre backs ideally need more to their game now.

Having said that, if a team gives Flint plenty of support and don't leave him exposed then he can be very effective.

Maybe Warnock will be the perfect manager for him. Though I would have thought Pulis would have been that, and Flint just had a poor season.

I don’t think Flint lacked pace but lacked acceleration and agility. Meaning I think it took him an extra step or two to get to his top speed and struggled keeping in front of quicker dribblers on that first touch. 

Never a poor player by any mean but definitely think we have upgraded. I’d rate Webster and Kalas more than Flint but you can say that about most champ CBs. 

I think going to Boro then Cardiff keeps his reputation in tact. Feeling last summer was he had suitors where this summer feels he needs the move to play more. Can’t begrudge him that. I wish him well unless that mean beating us or keeping us from promotion. 

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Fair amount of nonsense written here about Flint . We just spent a club record fee and £20k a week wages on replacing him, of course Kalas is a step up and so he should be. We also spent 3.5 M on Baker and another bucket of wages and failed to replace him adequately. It is also thanks to his transfer fee the club had the funds to do a deal for Webster and pay the loan of Kalas last season.  To dismiss his contribution to us  and also his time at Boro (how many last season underperformed with the nonsense of Pullis ) is pathetic, his stats hold up against all but the very best in our league. There are a huge number of players that have been through our door that have cost far more, contributed nothing and achieved nothing. He was one of the few that pulled the team together to halt relegation and keep LJ in a job. City helped make a great career for Flint, but Flint helped make City a damn site better than when he joined. I cannot recall many players like that over the last 50 years. 

Stop talking sense. Do you know this is OTIB!?

Archived