IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

40 minutes ago, hodge said:

The question he would be under what tests did he finish 2nd. We often see players so 30m sprints, in these tests players with longer strides can do well because of the fact they can accelerate quicker but may not measure peak speed. Not calling Flint slow over longer distances because I remember the Utd game and the Lukaku (?) challenge. However I felt a weakness of Flint in games was reaction time and ability to turn and go while keeping up with attacking players movement after being pulled out of position. 

I’d tend to agree with you ,

but that is not ‘lacking pace’ , shorter players always likely to be more agile 

if I’m being critical I would say he needed to mark tighter / closer in the box , had a habit of dropping off a few yards in box which could be fatal at this level

Still understated by many

And for a bloke who had a ‘poor season’ , Boro didn’t concede too many did they

In his limited appearances i think Lloyd Kelly gave the ball away with sloppy passes more times than Flint in his

16 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I've seen the fee is £4m rising to £6m can't say MA doesn't get the money for us. 

Would I have him back? In all honesty, no I feel with Kalas, Webster and Baker we have good enough quality for the way LJ wants to play.

Cardiff would be a good move for him I just hope him and Bobby have a blinder against us! 

You missed out the word 'dont' :laugh:!

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I didn’t say you labelled him as ordinary

I quoted you regarding misconception regarding his pace

if you doubt this - you label the Clubs fitness guy as a liar btw

and need to get some glasses

As for ‘limited technically’ , he may be no passing Pirlo but in his goal scoring alone he demonstrates some  ‘technical ability’ alone that a lot of centre halves would simply not be capable of

’Limited technically ‘ compared to who / how many ?

The rest of the comments were how some turn on a player , and moreso label them as over rated / poor etc etc when they move on ,

Freeman , Ayling , Bryan , Flint , Reid ..etc .. all subject of it 

I can probably recall 2 or 3 hundred who contributed a tiny fraction , at the very best , of what any of the above did 

Short memories

If he was the 2nd quickest then fair play. I’m not calling the clubs fitness guy a liar at all, very odd comment that... (And I wear glasses, thanks for the concern though)

Yes he scored a couple of decent finishes, I’ve done similar on 5 a side, doesn’t make me technically gifted though. He wasn’t great technically but, as I said, the fact he regularly gave 110% meant that that didn’t matter.

Not once have I said Flint didn’t contribute much. He contributed greatly, does that make him a great player? No

21 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That header off the line at The Etihad and the look on Raheem Sterling`s face will live with me forever.

Felt like I could touch the top of his head from where I was sat! Was amazing and never really heard much about it after. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

If he was the 2nd quickest then fair play. I’m not calling the clubs fitness guy a liar at all, very odd comment that... (And I wear glasses, thanks for the concern though)

Yes he scored a couple of decent finishes, I’ve done similar on 5 a side, doesn’t make me technically gifted though. He wasn’t great technically but, as I said, the fact he regularly gave 110% meant that that didn’t matter.

Not once have I said Flint didn’t contribute much. He contributed greatly, does that make him a great player? No

A ‘great’ player ? 

In terms of Bristol City , what we’ve done , the hundreds of players we’ve had , and I’m judging over five decades

(IMHO) 

YES

Plenty of players with great technique lack lots of other qualities required and never make it or achieve sod all

Lots of things make a ‘great player’ including context

And still better technically than Baker or Wright btw

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A ‘great’ player ? 

In terms of Bristol City , what we’ve done , the hundreds of players we’ve had , and I’m judging over five decades

(IMHO) 

YES

Plenty of players with great technique lack lots of other qualities required and never make it or achieve sod all

I’d say great servant, gave his all but was never talented enough to help take us to the next level.

I’ve never compared him to Baker or Wright either so don’t know what the relevance of that comment is...

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A ‘great’ player ? 

(IMHO) 

YES

Last line helps your argument. Baker probably should be better than Flint but Flint with determination and will has had a hell of a career and his best years will be remembered as Bristol City ones. I think it was the right time to move him on as his ambition was probably above what we thought we could be last season but idk how anyone can say anything bad about the guy after his time here. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Last line helps your argument. Baker probably should be better than Flint but Flint with determination and will has had a hell of a career and his best years will be remembered as Bristol City ones. I think it was the right time to move him on as his ambition was probably above what we thought we could be last season but idk how anyone can say anything bad about the guy after his time here. 

Agree , 

I can remember sat on touchline in Williams one day and right in front of me Flint too a ball on his chest , and dinked / dropped a ball into Luke Freeman 30/40 yards away 

wasnt the donkey some like to portray and clearly worked bloody hard at his game , because of his frame could look awkward in some movements and people latch onto that

.... better ‘technique’..::::....

Flint or Diedhiou ?

:whistle:

6 hours ago, Latcher said:

It looks nailed on that he's going to sign for us (medical arranged for today, apparently). As you know him better than most, what are his strengths & weaknesses. The fee is reported to be 6m.. value or not?

My honest opinion and one I’ve always had about flinty. Good in the air. When teams lump long balls into the box he’s a very decent first ball winning centre half and got quite a few goals for us. I always thought though that his goals masked his defensive weaknesses and a lot of our fans loved him  because of the goals he scored rather than his defending. 

He can be poor positionally , plenty of times making diving last ditch tackles that proves he was out of position in the first place. Very vulnerable against a tricky , pacy striker or teams that will play around him. If you play him in a 2 he will get exposed. 

I honestly believe we had the best of him and LJ always wanted a centre half pairing that could play as well. He wouldn’t get in our starting 11 now with everyone fit 

27 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say great servant, gave his all but was never talented enough to help take us to the next level.

I’ve never compared him to Baker or Wright either so don’t know what the relevance of that comment is...

Maybe you need to wait and watch a few more years , or simply have been spoilt 

I could list you  a player that’s ‘played’ for us a player  far less talented or technical ability than Flint for every game he played for us

As regards Baker and Wright , it’s in relation to your claim regarding  technical ability ,  we’ve got two on our books with less

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

My honest opinion and one I’ve always had about flinty. Good in the air. When teams lump long balls into the box he’s a very decent first ball winning centre half and got quite a few goals for us. I always thought though that his goals masked his defensive weaknesses and a lot of our fans loved him  because of the goals he scored rather than his defending. 

He can be poor positionally , plenty of times making diving last ditch tackles that proves he was out of position in the first place. Very vulnerable against a tricky , pacy striker or teams that will play around him. If you play him in a 2 he will get exposed. 

I honestly believe we had the best of him and LJ always wanted a centre half pairing that could play as well. He wouldn’t get in our starting 11 now with everyone fit 

I'm sure Warnock will get the best out of him. As Stevie has said he has his limitations, and Kalas + Webster have been an upgrade.

However I think we've missed him offensively at set pieces in particular; and in that regard he'll be a good signing for you.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe you need to wait and watch a few more years , or simply have been spoilt 

I could list you  a player that’s ‘played’ for us a player  far less talented or technical ability than Flint for every game he played for us

As regards Baker and Wright , it’s in relation to your claim regarding  technical ability ,  we’ve got two on our books with less

I don’t think anyone can claim a city fan has been spoilt, but I’ve seen some horrifically bad players down here

Not totally sure what the second paragraph means but if I’m right I’m sure you could list some players with less technical ability. Much like how I could name many defenders with more technical ability.

However, that’s a minor point. As I’ve said, the effort he put in for the club and his never say die attitude mean that any technical frailties are irrelevant. Still doesn’t mean he didn’t have those technical frailties, but they weren’t important when compared to his passion and desire.

I’d say he’s on par with Baker technically but not as good as Bailey Wright, although that’s just an opinion 

Loved flint did a good job but a lot of people are blinkered with him,

he would cost us more goals a season then would score and had a turning circle of an lorry which quicker players regularly exposed,

but you would be hard pressed to find a more commented player then him, he’d always give you more then 100% And that’s all we could ever have asked of him,

wish a few more players would put the effort flint would put in over a season, we’d be in the prem by now if they did,

Am I bothered he’s going to cardiff? No, o don’t get why people get so upset when players sign for rivals, it’s just a job to them, loyalty left football almost 30 years ago now 

I like to think of him as the English lower-league lovechild of Giorgio Chiellini and Jaap Stam.

Genuinely can’t believe some of the comments on this thread mind. Yes, he wouldn’t get in our team now but we all absolutely loved him when he was here, to a man I’d say. 

I’d like us to have gone in for him at that price to be fair. Quality cover if Webster or Kalas got crocked. 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

My thoughts too...

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Fair amount of nonsense written here about Flint . We just spent a club record fee and £20k a week wages on replacing him, of course Kalas is a step up and so he should be. We also spent 3.5 M on Baker and another bucket of wages and failed to replace him adequately. It is also thanks to his transfer fee the club had the funds to do a deal for Webster and pay the loan of Kalas last season.  To dismiss his contribution to us  and also his time at Boro (how many last season underperformed with the nonsense of Pullis ) is pathetic, his stats hold up against all but the very best in our league. There are a huge number of players that have been through our door that have cost far more, contributed nothing and achieved nothing. He was one of the few that pulled the team together to halt relegation and keep LJ in a job. City helped make a great career for Flint, but Flint helped make City a damn site better than when he joined. I cannot recall many players like that over the last 50 years. 

Webster was Flints replacement, LJ said at the time the only way he was letting Flint go was on the provision we got Webster in as his successor.

I will always see AF as City great for what he achieved with us, I said many times throughout his career with us that some parts of his defending was a tad suspect, and when he did leave last summer I said the only thing I think we’ll miss is AF goals at the opposite end. 

Now if he was to sign for the Sheep, there’s not a chance in hell he’ll be getting a clap from me, clapping anyone whilst wearing a Cardiff shirt?? No... just no.

When we sold him most said he was on par with any defender in the division. Yes Webster is an improvement, but Flinty is and was a hell of a player and hell of a bloke. A massive part of getting us where we are today. Deserves full respect, not this ‘dodgy defender’ revisionism 

I think Flint reached his peak with us prior to being sold.

Pulis is renowned for his defensive organisation and play, if Flint had a poor season at Boro it was definitely down to him not the coaching.

Along with the other title winners I will always give him a round of applause, his and the teams achievements are in the history books.

I wouldn’t put him in the top five Championship CB’s, and we have two of them, but wish him well, he’s come up the hard way and deserves his rewards.

Colin is his kind of manager, he’ll make Flinty feel ten feet tall, and he’ll get a few more goals next season I’m sure, however he is past his peak and we have moved on tactically and personnel wise. 

Think I could’ve quoted about 30 posts above, but I’ll summarise.

• a late entrant into the football league who like a number of others made up for lost time
  • continually improved (how many saw him as a potential Premier League player when we signed him from Swindon) and he became a key player through 14/15 to 17/18, no mean feat.
  • always gave 100%
  • scored crucial goals, some finishes you’d attribute to a “fox in the box”
  • marked tight aerially
  • stood off on the deck (his biggest weakness, because he feared being ‘spun”....the two worst games I saw him play were against Che Adams and Sam Winnall, who he knew were physical enough to roll him if he got too tight).  This was my one real criticism of him, and what probably stopped him going to the next level.  Had he had a Des Walker playing alongside / covering him, he could’ve gone as tight as he liked, and I think he would’ve been even better.
  • better on the ball than given credit for.  Reminded me of a lower division Sami Hyypia....would put his body on the line but looked awkward on the ball, even if he wasn’t.  I think he was technically decent.
  • he dissed Swindon, because they dissed him
  • we got a fantastic £7m for a player who wanted to play for a bigger club with a better chance of promotion
  • i don’t think he loved City, but he respected us and enjoyed his cult hero status....but he’s a moody sod
  • his desire to want every set piece to go to him, made them predictable

Will get a respectful round of applause if he returns with Cardiff.

I enjoyed watching him (as he played my position), and only hope he has a stinker if it’s against us.

Flint was absolutely immense for Bristol City both on and off the pitch. He will always be rightly revered. He came into the game late and I think he appreciates where he's come from. He knuckled down and got his head together after the club turned down Redknapp's Birmingham. Nobody could begrudge the Boro money later & his signing on fee.

I think we all move on and the way he lost Webster for City's winner showed me how we've moved on.

If he gets another signing on fee with Colin then good luck to him but I think we've had the best years out of him and I would prefer to remember him in a City shirt keeping out Sterling's goal bound effort or scoring that hatrick against Walsall or rising above the swindle morons or, the best of all, scoring against Cardiff and giving them the "Murray cupped ear"

Of course he'll say exactly what the taff's want and they'll lap it up, in return he'll smile and look awkward in that blue shirt but deep down he'll know where he enjoyed his football the most.

Archived