IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

30 minutes ago, Swede said:

Flint was absolutely immense for Bristol City both on and off the pitch. He will always be rightly revered. He came into the game late and I think he appreciates where he's come from. He knuckled down and got his head together after the club turned down Redknapp's Birmingham. Nobody could begrudge the Boro money later & his signing on fee.

I think we all move on and the way he lost Webster for City's winner showed me how we've moved on.

If he gets another signing on fee with Colin then good luck to him but I think we've had the best years out of him and I would prefer to remember him in a City shirt keeping out Sterling's goal bound effort or scoring that hatrick against Walsall or rising above the swindle morons or, the best of all, scoring against Cardiff and giving them the "Murray cupped ear"

Of course he'll say exactly what the taff's want and they'll lap it up, in return he'll smile and look awkward in that blue shirt but deep down he'll know where he enjoyed his football the most.

????????????

3 hours ago, SDBS36 said:

Never forget that clearance from under the bar against Man City

Also remember that last ditch tackle away at Huddersfield after them missing a penalty.

One of my all time favourites is Flint. Love the bloke!

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think I could’ve quoted about 30 posts above, but I’ll summarise.

• a late entrant into the football league who like a number of others made up for lost time
  • continually improved (how many saw him as a potential Premier League player when we signed him from Swindon) and he became a key player through 14/15 to 17/18, no mean feat.
  • always gave 100%
  • scored crucial goals, some finishes you’d attribute to a “fox in the box”
  • marked tight aerially
  • stood off on the deck (his biggest weakness, because he feared being ‘spun”....the two worst games I saw him play were against Che Adams and Sam Winnall, who he knew were physical enough to roll him if he got too tight).  This was my one real criticism of him, and what probably stopped him going to the next level.  Had he had a Des Walker playing alongside / covering him, he could’ve gone as tight as he liked, and I think he would’ve been even better.
  • better on the ball than given credit for.  Reminded me of a lower division Sami Hyypia....would put his body on the line but looked awkward on the ball, even if he wasn’t.  I think he was technically decent.
  • he dissed Swindon, because they dissed him
  • we got a fantastic £7m for a player who wanted to play for a bigger club with a better chance of promotion
  • i don’t think he loved City, but he respected us and enjoyed his cult hero status....but he’s a moody sod
  • his desire to want every set piece to go to him, made them predictable

Will get a respectful round of applause if he returns with Cardiff.

I enjoyed watching him (as he played my position), and only hope he has a stinker if it’s against us.

Excellent post 

Excellent summary

@Davefevs

• i don’t think he loved City, but he respected us and enjoyed his cult hero status....but he’s a moody sod

Correct in both respects Dave

I absolutely loved and admired Flint for his growth and attitude and what he did here

When he went , my one thought as a positive was whether it was time for him to move on , for the group as well

He was a bit of an icon and undoubtedly a major figure in the squad and very friendly with Marlon and one or two others

I wonder whether his moving has allowed others to come out a bit more , not suggesting Flint was a problem in dressing room but he was a major presence in dressing room in reputation and because of his natural size

He certainly appeared moody and that wasn’t over endearing ,  but to be fair I put that down to being extremely focused and serious about his football 

Difficult to be around at times ?    Possibly

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

@Davefevs

Correct in both respects Dave

I absolutely loved and admired Flint for his growth and attitude and what he did here

When he went , my one thought as a positive was whether it was time for him to move on , for the group as well

He was a bit of an icon and undoubtedly a major figure in the squad and very friendly with Marlon and one or two others

I wonder whether his moving has allowed others to come out a bit more , not suggesting Flint was a problem in dressing room but he was a major presence in dressing room in reputation and because of his natural size

He certainly appeared moody and that wasn’t over endearing ,  but to be fair I put that down to being extremely focused and serious about his football 

Difficult to be around at times ?    Possibly

Yep, I saw it as dedication, albeit a bit selfish....but who wouldn’t be in his situation and with his late start in pro football.  Had a chance, took it, and some!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

• a late entrant into the football league who like a number of others made up for lost time
  • continually improved (how many saw him as a potential Premier League player when we signed him from Swindon) and he became a key player through 14/15 to 17/18, no mean feat.
  • always gave 100%
  • marked tight aerially
  • stood off on the deck (his biggest weakness, because he feared being ‘spun”....the two worst games I saw him play were against Che Adams and Sam Winnall, who he knew were physical enough to roll him if he got too tight).  This was my one real criticism of him, and what probably stopped him going to the next level.  Had he had a Des Walker playing alongside / covering him, he could’ve gone as tight as he liked, and I think he would’ve been even better.
  • better on the ball than given credit for.  Reminded me of a lower division Sami Hyypia....would put his body on the line but looked awkward on the ball, even if he wasn’t.  I think he was technically decent.
  • we got a fantastic £7m for a player who wanted to play for a bigger club with a better chance of promotion

I enjoyed watching him (as he played my position), and only hope he has a stinker if it’s against us.

Good post Dave and agree with it all other than second from last point...your view he didn’t really love City is purely conjecture and while I agree with you, no one on this forum is close enough to any of our players to know what they think about the club.

i personally don’t care he is going to Cardiff...I loved flinty as a player and he provided so many good memories but we have a better cd partnership without him.

i wish him good luck 

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Good post Dave and agree with it all other than second from last point...your view he didn’t really love City is purely conjecture and while I agree with you, no one on this forum is close enough to any of our players to know what they think about the club.

i personally don’t care he is going to Cardiff...I loved flinty as a player and he provided so many good memories but we have a better cd partnership without him.

i wish him good luck 

I think it’s things I picked up from a couple of interviews, before he left, and then the Adam Baker one post-Boro last season.  Yep, could be wide of the mark, and he may have hidden it, or tried to be non-committal, as things bite you on the arse.  Certainly loved back though by the vast majority.

Was fantastic for where we were as a club back then. We have moved on now and got far better in Webster and Kalas.

Funny how many were saying Baker was our best centre back when we had Flint. I always thought Flint was better. Baker now our 4th best imo. And who knows he might even be 5th if Moore or Vyner really come on strong this season.

It really shows how much we have improved.

41 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

i wish him good luck 

We have the best CB partnership in the league in my opinion.

Good luck to Aden - except when he plays against us.

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We have the best CB partnership in the league in my opinion.

We do indeed and I’d have thought Colin would covet both Kalas and Webdini - both far more classy than ‘head it and kick it’ Flint is.

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was fantastic for where we were as a club back then. We have moved on now and got far better in Webster and Kalas.

Funny how many were saying Baker was our best centre back when we had Flint. I always thought Flint was better. Baker now our 4th best imo. And who knows he might even be 5th if Moore or Vyner really come on strong this season.

It really shows how much we have improved.

Thought Baker was key in 15/16 in helping Flint adapt to playing in a back 4 under LJ (and Pembo).

Thought he was very good in first half of 17/18 too, but so was Flint.  Baker dropped his form, Flint didn’t.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Baker was key in 15/16 in helping Flint adapt to playing in a back 4 under LJ (and Pembo).

Thought he was very good in first half of 17/18 too, but so was Flint.  Baker dropped his form, Flint didn’t.

Totally agree,

i think baker helped develop him as a player,

baker is a good centre half at this level hindered by injuries, he’s never let us down when he’s played but he isn’t as good as Webber or kalas,

mind you we could deploy Webber in midfield and play baker and kalas at the back for all we know next season

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Flint is exactly the type of player he likes

Flint is a Pulis type of defender. A tall stopper who is good in the air whereas I thought that Colin looked for decent footballers with more to their game than a throwback to a 1970s CB

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Flint is a Pulis type of defender. A tall stopper who is good in the air whereas I thought that Colin looked for decent footballers with more to their game than a throwback to a 1970s CB

Not in defenders, he likes a big man who’s good in the air

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• always gave 100%
  • marked tight aerially

I’ve seen you have a few stinkers Fevs!!

I’m happy to be corrected by stats, but I seem to remember Flint not scoring half as many goals, following our promotion to the Championship, than he did in our League One promotion season for example.

It always seemed to me that he was no longer the same attacking force after we went up, and his defensive limitations also became more apparent perhaps, with the higher standard of football.

Not saying he didn’t still score goals in the Championship, nor that he isn’t a Championship-standard player, but for the above reasons I probably agree with those that don’t consider him to be top-end Championship.

I do like the bloke though.

And he has good tattoos. ?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Totally agree,

i think baker helped develop him as a player,

baker is a good centre half at this level hindered by injuries, he’s never let us down when he’s played but he isn’t as good as Webber or kalas,

mind you we could deploy Webber in midfield and play baker and kalas at the back for all we know next season

I’m against that unless it’s a one-off, catch the opposition out type thing.  I don’t think he has the instincts to receive a ball facing his own goal with a man up his arse.

34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’ve seen you have a few stinkers Fevs!!

I always thought you were a good 10-15 yard passer Shuffs, then I realised that was your first touch ?

21 hours ago, YorksRed said:

good injury and disciplinary record for a defender

His disciplinary record was amazing.   An ever present and in one season I think he only picked up one booking in all league and cup games.  Amazing for a defender.

Who could forget that proper hatrick he scored.

Fantastic player for us, but we've moved on and he no longer fits our style.   Much more a Warnock player than Bobby Reid.  I reckon Flint will do well for you.

38 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

His disciplinary record was amazing.   An ever present and in one season I think he only picked up one booking in all league and cup games.  Amazing for a defender.

Who could forget that proper hatrick he scored.

Fantastic player for us, but we've moved on and he no longer fits our style.   Much more a Warnock player than Bobby Reid.  I reckon Flint will do well for you.

He got 1 red card in his time with us as well if I recall correctly 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He got 1 red card in his time with us as well if I recall correctly 

Amazing.  I remember one game where he was elbowed and punched in the face in separate incidents and did not retaliate.   Immense discipline from the big man.  

9 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Amazing.  I remember one game where he was elbowed and punched in the face in separate incidents and did not retaliate.   Immense discipline from the big man.  

Yea he was, he was very clever 

I always said Flint was never the greatest defender. Needed a strong defender next to him.

That said, he did score lots of goals at the other end. So that made up for his odd defensive mistakes.

He would'nt get in the city team now and would be 4th choice (I have always seen Baker as a better defender)

But he was a very good servant and helped us go from a bottom half league one club to a top half champ club. So we should'nt forget that.

Archived