IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

I wouldn't be surprised if Neil Warnock starts Flint up front in some or even all the games.  He's got a phenomenal goal scoring record for a centre back in league 1 and the championship goal scoring stats with us were decent.  If he starts most matches up front with a manager who plays route one football then Flint could turn into one of those elusive 15 to 20 goals a season striker. 

That said, we may have got the best years out of him as I thought he would score more as centre back for Middlesborough given Pulis adopts a style that should also have played to Flint's strengths.   He got just the one goal and one assist last season.

39 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Tomlinson currently playing with the academy team isn’t he?

Yes, but In shape though, apparently. Couldn't go with the rest of squad as he was refused a US Visa along with Madine.

Warnock has been known to get the best out of players with shall we say an interesting attitude though, albeit how often I don't know. Good example would be Taarabt.

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Goals conceded:

2017/18 (with Flint): 58

2018/19 (without Flint): 53

I make that an improvement of five goals conceded. Over 46 games.

When Kalas and Webster had Niki or Frank beind them, they were generally solid; with Max for eleven games in the crucial run in from March, it was 15 conceded in 11 games, and just one clean sheet. That is a worse games/goals conceded than Flint and co over 46 games in 2017/18. Statistically worse than Flint and co in 17/18.

Ah yes, but they had rookie Max behind them, you say. Fair point.

But Kalas and Webster have not been asked to play here alongside, amongst others, Derrick Williams, Luke Ayling, Mark Little, RO'D, that crocked Swede, Korey at right back, the generally thought to be "not a full back/defender" and like Ayling "much happier in the other half" Joe "I'll be back in the left back position I vacated some moments ago just as soon as I can be bothered" Bryan, 

Unlike Flint, Kalas and Webster were not called upon to defend here in the chaos and disarray of Aug to February 2015/16; the chaos, disarray and toxicity of Lee Tomlin, post him signing permanently; the shambles of Diony/Kent Jan to May 2018. Non of this Flint's responsibility, all of it arguably impacted on the ability of the team to perform and stop the opposition scoring goals.

Until we can see Flint and Webster here together and Kalas alone (with Derrick Williams and Mark Little and Richard O'Donnell and a crocked Swede bound for the knackers yard. Oh, and Adam bloody Matthews) amongst the wreckage that was Bristol City FC in the Championship under Cotts, or Flint/Kalas and Webster trying to hold back the tide with modest support/minus Kalas (and a proper keeper; and a left back, generally where left backs should be), I don't see that we are comparing like with like.

We can have our opinions, but the crude numbers are 58/53. 

Yep the numbers prove kalas and webster are just better

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, but In shape though, apparently. Couldn't go with the rest of squad as he was refused a US Visa along with Madine.

Warnock has been known to get the best out of players with shall we say an interesting attitude though, albeit how often I don't know. Good example would be Taarabt.

Is that true?

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Completely agree.

He shouldn't earn a living, pay his mortgage or eat because he once played for us...

What a strange thing you say.

Mortgage?????

they don’t need mortgages. A current city player bought my sisters house earlier this year for cash.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Is that true?

They seem very particular in the US, neurotic even when it comes to Visas even for minor misdemeanours it seems.

Dunno what Tomlin was in trouble for- eating over and above the limits of an all you can eat restaurant perhaps and it deemed theft? ? Madine IIRC was in trouble in past, can't remember what.

Yeah though they seem quite paranoid about these things.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They seem very particular in the US, neurotic even when it comes to Visas even for minor misdemeanours it seems.

Dunno what Tomlin was in trouble for- eating over and above the limits of an all you can eat restaurant perhaps and it deemed theft? ? Madine IIRC was in trouble in past, can't remember what.

Tomlin was in court not so long ago for gbh and was found guilty?

they don’t normally let you into America if you have a criminal record

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am aware the US are strict, verging paranoid, concerning entry/visas - I have family members who have been refused entry for having travelled via New Zealand twice within two years! - but I wasn't aware that Tomlin had actually been refused a visa - presumably due to his recent conviction for 'assault'?

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Tomlin was in court not so long ago for gbh and was found guilty?

they don’t normally let you into America if you have a criminal record

Okay gbh is pretty serious granted.

They do though- rightly or wrongly- have a rep of being quite neurotic about it. Not applicable in Tomlin's case or possibly Madine's but my point still stands.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am aware the US are strict, verging paranoid, concerning entry/visas - I have family members who have been refused entry for having travelled via New Zealand twice within two years! - but I wasn't aware that Tomlin had actually been refused a visa - presumably due to his recent conviction for 'assault'?

Yeah assault will be it- pretty serious in his case.

That's nuts- and I mean nuts- the bolded bit!! ?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah assault will be it- pretty serious in his case.

That's nuts- and I mean nuts- the bolded bit!! ?

Two young students, backpacking in Australia/New Zealand and working as casual labourers on, inter alia, sheep farms, fruit farms and, of course, in various bars throughout their travels.

Their first trip to Florida was accepted, but, on their subsequent trip home, via California, their entry was refused as there had recently been a terrorist attack in New Zealand.... 

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Two young students, backpacking in Australia/New Zealand and working as casual labourers on, inter alia, sheep farms, fruit farms and, of course, in various bars throughout their travels.

Their first trip to Florida was accepted, but, on their subsequent trip home, via California, their entry was refused as there had recently been a terrorist attack in New Zealand.... 

That's me buggered for travel to the States then....was in NZ twice over a 7 month period,either side of the attacks.....??????

I’m 5 out of 10 annoyed that he’s gone to our “rivals”.

Money talks again but as least he can come home to Portishead to be near his best mate Marlon.

I can’t see him living in welsh wales.

As long as we keep Mr Webster I’m not really bothered.

Was a superb player for us but won’t be clapping him this season.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

There's only one club I really care about, and that's City. He was a great and iconic player while here and always gave his all - usually more than any other on the pitch, and that's what matters to me most. If he's earnt himself some more money and some bloke has told him to tap his head for a picture I couldn't really care less personally. Good luck to him... although not Cardiff as a whole, obviously!

I couldn’t agree more. I loved Flint when he was here and have very fond memories of him as a City player. Times change and players move on (although Bob Taylor being sold all those years ago is still a bit of an open wound for me). 

It’s amusing how Flint doesn’t look like he’s enjoying the absurd head-tapping thing in that picture. 

Archived