IGNORED

Flint Signs For Cardiff

Alan Dicks

17 hours ago, billywedlock said:

How many did we score during the same period ? Our GD got worse . What a stupid comparison and waste of time . Why Are people trying to suggest Flint wasn’t very good , he left , he was mega for us in many  ways , we would have gone back to L’1 without him . He would play exceptionally well with Webster too . But he left , on a great basis . Why make idiotic comments to try and degrade one of the best servants this club has had. No need . There are 100 s of useless players we had over the years you can do that to if you need that release . 

Focus on the future . 

I was suggesting, not very successfully, that last season's defence were clearly better (going by Goals Against) than Flint and co, but not by all that much.

Interestingly, to me at least, in the run in, when a play-off place was up for grabs, and the heat was on, the defence creaked. It didn't collapse but for a team with few goals in it, we needed it to improve not worsen. In the final third of the season, we kept one clean sheet in 15 games (with 12 clean sheets over the first 31 games). It was a dripping tap we couldn't fix.

Part of that might've been due to the disruption behind the cbs, with a rookie holding the gloves behind them. So, another of my points: as good as they are, Kalas and Webster will, in part, only be as good as the quality of those around them. Flint played with less quality around him.

This season, I note, we begin with three senior, experienced keepers, and Max out on loan. Coincidence?

Over the past ten seasons, only twice has a team conceded more than we did last season and finished in the top two (Norwich, on both occasions, and they scored 83 and 93 in those seasons). So, the much heralded Bristol City defence of 18/19 was well short of automatic promotion standard (especially considering the wobbly performance in the run in to May).

Over that same period, 40 sides finished in the play offs, and just 14 conceded more than our 53 last season. Of those 14, all but one scored more than us, most 70 goals or more (Huddersfield were the exception/freak/fluke). In the unlikely event of us finding more than ten goals on last season, if we are looking to improve again we need our defence to do better than last season. Much better. 

For the money spent on our central/overall defence last season, I thought it might've done a bit better than it did do. 

In the absence of an 80 or 90 goal attack, we cannot afford a mentally fragile defence creaking, wobbling and leaking/dribbing more than a goal a game in March/April/May. I am optimistic though that we will get the GA down into the 40s this season. 

1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

Why do i need to show stats ... if Flint helps them beat us or them have a better season than us I cant see many people being happy . 

I do prefer Webster to Flint but Boro did have the 2nd best defence last season . 

Yep, Flint is still a good defender - Webster does seem more composed, assured and comfortable on the ball but as you say, Boro’s record with Flint at the back wasn’t too shabby - they conceded a lot less goals than we did last season ... I only asked you for a stat because you said that most people on here aren’t happy with Aden joining Cardiff - just wondered how you came up with that. No matter though ...

On 19/07/2019 at 17:38, BobBobSuperBob said:

As one of Flints biggest supporters 

I agree with you

Taking part in that photo

I think he’s made himself look a cock tbh

First day with new employer.

He gets the usual initial duties,  "Stand there, do this, wear this, look happy." from the media people.

He managed 3 out of 4.

Unless you really need to be outraged, give him a break.

He gets the usual initial duties,  "Stand there, do this, wear this, look happy." from the media people.

He managed 3 out of 4.

36 minutes ago, MJP3 said:

He managed 3 out of 4.

I’m not ‘outraged’

I just think he looks like a cock

You see, he could always of said ,  ‘no ta , don’t think that’s a great idea ‘

Maybe you jump every time your employer tells you to do something , whatever it is ?

14 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Doing the ayatollah... It can't just be the players who are embarrassed by this silly gesture.

There's go to be plenty of adult Cardiff supporters who think it's ridiculous.

Will always remember the chant someone came up with on our 1st visit over there after switching to red.

’you used to be blue but now your red, you like cants when you tap your head’

Even the sheep were laughing.

On 19/07/2019 at 23:10, Keyardiv said:

Sounds like it’s all worked out perfectly for you guys again tbh.

How many more ex Bristol City players do you want to sign? Seems to me, deep down, you wish you were English ?? Perhaps changing your colours a while back to red was more to do with wanting to be like Bristol City rather than Cardiff Welsh Dragons!

8 hours ago, Swede said:

How many more ex Bristol City players do you want to sign? Seems to me, deep down, you wish you were English ?? Perhaps changing your colours a while back to red was more to do with wanting to be like Bristol City rather than Cardiff Welsh Dragons!

They can wish all they like but the minute they slip on their daps, put on their coat-jackets and open their mouths they are sussed out :laugh:

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spot on. 

That level of football was perfect for his level of footballing ability.

So was the Championship. A well run club like Boro doesn’t pay £7mil for a CB they don’t think is too end Championship worthy. 

Flint if he was a club would be 8th-9th place in my opinion. Good player, lacks some quality with the ball at his feet, but other attributes make up for it; power, presence, pace and passion. 

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I really don't get all this knocking Aden Flint..

He was brilliant in League One

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spot on. 

That level of football was perfect for his level of footballing ability.

Our player of the year in 2015/16. In the Championship.

Show some respect

April 4th 2020

The Malaysians slide over to the gate.........

‘ Bristol City, currently 5 points clear of second placed Fulham and already 8 clear of third placed Brentford , dismantled 12th place Cardiff City 4-1 with a brace for young Antoine Semenyo, and  their boisterous supporters repeatedly singing

’ Aden Flint , .......Bobby Reid ....stick your Ayatollah up your ass’

ahhhhhhh ......we can dream ?

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

So was the Championship. A well run club like Boro doesn’t pay £7mil for a CB they don’t think is too end Championship worthy. 

Flint if he was a club would be 8th-9th place in my opinion. Good player, lacks some quality with the ball at his feet, but other attributes make up for it; power, presence, pace and passion. 

I get what you mean, and sometimes a well-drilled team of 8-9th ability turn out better than their ability level.

That is my concern with Cardiff, he’s perfect for them / Warnock.  They are stronger with him. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get what you mean, and sometimes a well-drilled team of 8-9th ability turn out better than their ability level.

That is my concern with Cardiff, he’s perfect for them / Warnock.  They are stronger with him. 

Morrison and Flint as a target for set pieces and long throws ?

If only they had someone who could launch repeated bombs into the oppositions penalty box ......

Someone Like..........Will Vaulks...

INCOMING !!!

Kalas and Webster will need a lie down after the meetings with the Malaysians  ?

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

Our player of the year in 2015/16. In the Championship.

Show some respect

Respect?  :dunno: He was PotY through being an amusing guy with a pleasant personality and a fans favourite.

Im talking about Flints lack of footballing ability - nothing to do with ‘respect’. 

Compare him to last seasons PotY - Webster awarded thru his performances throughout the season. None of us really know what his personality is like

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Respect?  :dunno: He was PotY through being an amusing guy with a pleasant personality and a fans favourite.

Im talking about Flints lack of footballing ability - nothing to do with ‘respect’. 

Compare him to last seasons PotY - Webster awarded thru his performances throughout the season. None of us really know what his personality is like

I’d stick to bowls if I were you

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's been awarded EFL Player of the Month in the Champ before. It wasn't awarded for his personality or his relationship with the fan base.

I have been watching back at quite a number of games of Boro's last season. Flint really did have a shocking season going by the highlights. To get 7 million for him is quite incredible. People saying he is fast!? He clearly looks very slow to me.

Another thing is how on earth did Randolph get in team of the year? I think they might have conceded the least amount of goals, but he made some terrible mistakes on some goals. I think we may have had the best goalkeeper in the Championship last season in Maenpaa. Him and Henderson for me. 

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have been watching back at quite a number of games of Boro's last season. Flint really did have a shocking season going by the highlights. To get 7 million for him is quite incredible. People saying he is fast!? He clearly looks very slow to me.

Another thing is how on earth did Randolph get in team of the year? I think they might have conceded the least amount of goals, but he made some terrible mistakes on some goals. I think we may have had the best goalkeeper in the Championship last season in Maenpaa. Him and Henderson for me. 

Randloph’s Numbers were pretty decent, and I’m not just talking about goals conceded.  He’s a shot stopper and the kinda keeper you need behind a defence that doesn’t give much away.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Randloph’s Numbers were pretty decent, and I’m not just talking about goals conceded.  He’s a shot stopper and the kinda keeper you need behind a defence that doesn’t give much away.

Yep, he is good. But just surprised by the number of bad mistakes he made compared to Maenpaa who made about one in about 30 games, or however many he played.

Personally not seen anyone saying that Flint is shit, unless I’ve missed it? 

What some are trying to get at and it was said during AF whole time here, is that he is very limited and his flaws are pretty evident to everyone, overall he’s not great with the ball at his feet, his distribution is poor the majority of the time lumping it long, and has the turning circle of HMS Elizabeth, which when up against a pacy forward he’d get beat 9/10, but any need for that picture the other day? New employers or not he could of politely declined, show some respect FFS the club gave him his wish to move on to ‘better things’ then does that after joining they cants? 

He had his pluses though, after a shaky start here he grew into one of the best CB outside of the Premier League he’d literally throw himself in front of anything, nigh on unbeatable in the air, and the amount of goals he scored for us, he was great for us I don’t think anyone would argue with that, just not as great as some think he was.

5 minutes ago, AberRed said:

Still not really sure why they've signed him tbh. He's pretty good at Championship level but the players they already have in that position are better I'd say.

Unless they anticipate some of those players might leave.

Bamba`s out till at least October. That might have something to do with it I suppose.

Archived