Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alan Dicks

Flint Signs For Cardiff

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A ‘great’ player ? 

In terms of Bristol City , what we’ve done , the hundreds of players we’ve had , and I’m judging over five decades

(IMHO) 

YES

Plenty of players with great technique lack lots of other qualities required and never make it or achieve sod all

Lots of things make a ‘great player’ including context

And still better technically than Baker or Wright btw

Last line helps your argument. Baker probably should be better than Flint but Flint with determination and will has had a hell of a career and his best years will be remembered as Bristol City ones. I think it was the right time to move him on as his ambition was probably above what we thought we could be last season but idk how anyone can say anything bad about the guy after his time here. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Last line helps your argument. Baker probably should be better than Flint but Flint with determination and will has had a hell of a career and his best years will be remembered as Bristol City ones. I think it was the right time to move him on as his ambition was probably above what we thought we could be last season but idk how anyone can say anything bad about the guy after his time here. 

Agree , 

I can remember sat on touchline in Williams one day and right in front of me Flint too a ball on his chest , and dinked / dropped a ball into Luke Freeman 30/40 yards away 

wasnt the donkey some like to portray and clearly worked bloody hard at his game , because of his frame could look awkward in some movements and people latch onto that

.... better ‘technique’..::::....

Flint or Diedhiou ?

:whistle:

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Latcher said:

It looks nailed on that he's going to sign for us (medical arranged for today, apparently). As you know him better than most, what are his strengths & weaknesses. The fee is reported to be 6m.. value or not?

My honest opinion and one I’ve always had about flinty. Good in the air. When teams lump long balls into the box he’s a very decent first ball winning centre half and got quite a few goals for us. I always thought though that his goals masked his defensive weaknesses and a lot of our fans loved him  because of the goals he scored rather than his defending. 

He can be poor positionally , plenty of times making diving last ditch tackles that proves he was out of position in the first place. Very vulnerable against a tricky , pacy striker or teams that will play around him. If you play him in a 2 he will get exposed. 

I honestly believe we had the best of him and LJ always wanted a centre half pairing that could play as well. He wouldn’t get in our starting 11 now with everyone fit 

• Like 2

From my point of view i loved him because of his warrior spirit, not just his goals. With him on the pitch we would fight til the end, and his availability record adds to that too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say great servant, gave his all but was never talented enough to help take us to the next level.

I’ve never compared him to Baker or Wright either so don’t know what the relevance of that comment is...

Maybe you need to wait and watch a few more years , or simply have been spoilt 

I could list you  a player that’s ‘played’ for us a player  far less talented or technical ability than Flint for every game he played for us

As regards Baker and Wright , it’s in relation to your claim regarding  technical ability ,  we’ve got two on our books with less

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

My honest opinion and one I’ve always had about flinty. Good in the air. When teams lump long balls into the box he’s a very decent first ball winning centre half and got quite a few goals for us. I always thought though that his goals masked his defensive weaknesses and a lot of our fans loved him  because of the goals he scored rather than his defending. 

He can be poor positionally , plenty of times making diving last ditch tackles that proves he was out of position in the first place. Very vulnerable against a tricky , pacy striker or teams that will play around him. If you play him in a 2 he will get exposed. 

I honestly believe we had the best of him and LJ always wanted a centre half pairing that could play as well. He wouldn’t get in our starting 11 now with everyone fit 

I'm sure Warnock will get the best out of him. As Stevie has said he has his limitations, and Kalas + Webster have been an upgrade.

However I think we've missed him offensively at set pieces in particular; and in that regard he'll be a good signing for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe you need to wait and watch a few more years , or simply have been spoilt 

I could list you  a player that’s ‘played’ for us a player  far less talented or technical ability than Flint for every game he played for us

As regards Baker and Wright , it’s in relation to your claim regarding  technical ability ,  we’ve got two on our books with less

I don’t think anyone can claim a city fan has been spoilt, but I’ve seen some horrifically bad players down here

Not totally sure what the second paragraph means but if I’m right I’m sure you could list some players with less technical ability. Much like how I could name many defenders with more technical ability.

However, that’s a minor point. As I’ve said, the effort he put in for the club and his never say die attitude mean that any technical frailties are irrelevant. Still doesn’t mean he didn’t have those technical frailties, but they weren’t important when compared to his passion and desire.

I’d say he’s on par with Baker technically but not as good as Bailey Wright, although that’s just an opinion 

• Like 1

He was a legend in Dolly's cupboard.

• Haha 1

Loved flint did a good job but a lot of people are blinkered with him,

he would cost us more goals a season then would score and had a turning circle of an lorry which quicker players regularly exposed,

but you would be hard pressed to find a more commented player then him, he’d always give you more then 100% And that’s all we could ever have asked of him,

wish a few more players would put the effort flint would put in over a season, we’d be in the prem by now if they did,

Am I bothered he’s going to cardiff? No, o don’t get why people get so upset when players sign for rivals, it’s just a job to them, loyalty left football almost 30 years ago now 

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 1

We bought him for buttons, sold him for a small fortune and in between he was the backbone of a team that rose steadily through the leagues. Of course he had weaknesses on the ground - most huge central defenders do.

I like to think of him as the English lower-league lovechild of Giorgio Chiellini and Jaap Stam.

Genuinely can’t believe some of the comments on this thread mind. Yes, he wouldn’t get in our team now but we all absolutely loved him when he was here, to a man I’d say. 

I’d like us to have gone in for him at that price to be fair. Quality cover if Webster or Kalas got crocked. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

My thoughts too...

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

He was a legend in Dolly's cupboard.

According to the Post he's currently in someone else....

Screenshot_20190718_195102_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Fair amount of nonsense written here about Flint . We just spent a club record fee and £20k a week wages on replacing him, of course Kalas is a step up and so he should be. We also spent 3.5 M on Baker and another bucket of wages and failed to replace him adequately. It is also thanks to his transfer fee the club had the funds to do a deal for Webster and pay the loan of Kalas last season.  To dismiss his contribution to us  and also his time at Boro (how many last season underperformed with the nonsense of Pullis ) is pathetic, his stats hold up against all but the very best in our league. There are a huge number of players that have been through our door that have cost far more, contributed nothing and achieved nothing. He was one of the few that pulled the team together to halt relegation and keep LJ in a job. City helped make a great career for Flint, but Flint helped make City a damn site better than when he joined. I cannot recall many players like that over the last 50 years. 

Webster was Flints replacement, LJ said at the time the only way he was letting Flint go was on the provision we got Webster in as his successor.

I will always see AF as City great for what he achieved with us, I said many times throughout his career with us that some parts of his defending was a tad suspect, and when he did leave last summer I said the only thing I think we’ll miss is AF goals at the opposite end. 

Now if he was to sign for the Sheep, there’s not a chance in hell he’ll be getting a clap from me, clapping anyone whilst wearing a Cardiff shirt?? No... just no.

When we sold him most said he was on par with any defender in the division. Yes Webster is an improvement, but Flinty is and was a hell of a player and hell of a bloke. A massive part of getting us where we are today. Deserves full respect, not this ‘dodgy defender’ revisionism 

• Like 5

I think Flint reached his peak with us prior to being sold.

Pulis is renowned for his defensive organisation and play, if Flint had a poor season at Boro it was definitely down to him not the coaching.

Along with the other title winners I will always give him a round of applause, his and the teams achievements are in the history books.

I wouldn’t put him in the top five Championship CB’s, and we have two of them, but wish him well, he’s come up the hard way and deserves his rewards.

Colin is his kind of manager, he’ll make Flinty feel ten feet tall, and he’ll get a few more goals next season I’m sure, however he is past his peak and we have moved on tactically and personnel wise. 

• Like 4

Think I could’ve quoted about 30 posts above, but I’ll summarise.

• a late entrant into the football league who like a number of others made up for lost time
  • continually improved (how many saw him as a potential Premier League player when we signed him from Swindon) and he became a key player through 14/15 to 17/18, no mean feat.
  • always gave 100%
  • scored crucial goals, some finishes you’d attribute to a “fox in the box”
  • marked tight aerially
  • stood off on the deck (his biggest weakness, because he feared being ‘spun”....the two worst games I saw him play were against Che Adams and Sam Winnall, who he knew were physical enough to roll him if he got too tight).  This was my one real criticism of him, and what probably stopped him going to the next level.  Had he had a Des Walker playing alongside / covering him, he could’ve gone as tight as he liked, and I think he would’ve been even better.
  • better on the ball than given credit for.  Reminded me of a lower division Sami Hyypia....would put his body on the line but looked awkward on the ball, even if he wasn’t.  I think he was technically decent.
  • he dissed Swindon, because they dissed him
  • we got a fantastic £7m for a player who wanted to play for a bigger club with a better chance of promotion
  • i don’t think he loved City, but he respected us and enjoyed his cult hero status....but he’s a moody sod
  • his desire to want every set piece to go to him, made them predictable

Will get a respectful round of applause if he returns with Cardiff.

I enjoyed watching him (as he played my position), and only hope he has a stinker if it’s against us.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Flint was absolutely immense for Bristol City both on and off the pitch. He will always be rightly revered. He came into the game late and I think he appreciates where he's come from. He knuckled down and got his head together after the club turned down Redknapp's Birmingham. Nobody could begrudge the Boro money later & his signing on fee.

I think we all move on and the way he lost Webster for City's winner showed me how we've moved on.

If he gets another signing on fee with Colin then good luck to him but I think we've had the best years out of him and I would prefer to remember him in a City shirt keeping out Sterling's goal bound effort or scoring that hatrick against Walsall or rising above the swindle morons or, the best of all, scoring against Cardiff and giving them the "Murray cupped ear"

Of course he'll say exactly what the taff's want and they'll lap it up, in return he'll smile and look awkward in that blue shirt but deep down he'll know where he enjoyed his football the most.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, Super said:

Love how our fans say he is now shit as he is signing for Cardiff. The bloke was fantastic for us that should never be forgotten.

Yes agree and what about that goal line clearance against Man City,  fabulous!

30 minutes ago, Swede said:

Flint was absolutely immense for Bristol City both on and off the pitch. He will always be rightly revered. He came into the game late and I think he appreciates where he's come from. He knuckled down and got his head together after the club turned down Redknapp's Birmingham. Nobody could begrudge the Boro money later & his signing on fee.

I think we all move on and the way he lost Webster for City's winner showed me how we've moved on.

If he gets another signing on fee with Colin then good luck to him but I think we've had the best years out of him and I would prefer to remember him in a City shirt keeping out Sterling's goal bound effort or scoring that hatrick against Walsall or rising above the swindle morons or, the best of all, scoring against Cardiff and giving them the "Murray cupped ear"

Of course he'll say exactly what the taff's want and they'll lap it up, in return he'll smile and look awkward in that blue shirt but deep down he'll know where he enjoyed his football the most.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

3 hours ago, SDBS36 said:

Never forget that clearance from under the bar against Man City

Also remember that last ditch tackle away at Huddersfield after them missing a penalty.

One of my all time favourites is Flint. Love the bloke!

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

• a late entrant into the football league who like a number of others made up for lost time
  • continually improved (how many saw him as a potential Premier League player when we signed him from Swindon) and he became a key player through 14/15 to 17/18, no mean feat.
  • always gave 100%
  • marked tight aerially
  • stood off on the deck (his biggest weakness, because he feared being ‘spun”....the two worst games I saw him play were against Che Adams and Sam Winnall, who he knew were physical enough to roll him if he got too tight).  This was my one real criticism of him, and what probably stopped him going to the next level.  Had he had a Des Walker playing alongside / covering him, he could’ve gone as tight as he liked, and I think he would’ve been even better.
  • better on the ball than given credit for.  Reminded me of a lower division Sami Hyypia....would put his body on the line but looked awkward on the ball, even if he wasn’t.  I think he was technically decent.
  • we got a fantastic £7m for a player who wanted to play for a bigger club with a better chance of promotion
  • i don’t think he loved City, but he respected us and enjoyed his cult hero status....but he’s a moody sod

I enjoyed watching him (as he played my position), and only hope he has a stinker if it’s against us.

Excellent post 

Excellent summary

• Thanks 2

@Davefevs

Correct in both respects Dave

I absolutely loved and admired Flint for his growth and attitude and what he did here

When he went , my one thought as a positive was whether it was time for him to move on , for the group as well

He was a bit of an icon and undoubtedly a major figure in the squad and very friendly with Marlon and one or two others

I wonder whether his moving has allowed others to come out a bit more , not suggesting Flint was a problem in dressing room but he was a major presence in dressing room in reputation and because of his natural size

He certainly appeared moody and that wasn’t over endearing ,  but to be fair I put that down to being extremely focused and serious about his football 

Difficult to be around at times ?    Possibly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

@Davefevs

Correct in both respects Dave

I absolutely loved and admired Flint for his growth and attitude and what he did here

When he went , my one thought as a positive was whether it was time for him to move on , for the group as well

He was a bit of an icon and undoubtedly a major figure in the squad and very friendly with Marlon and one or two others

I wonder whether his moving has allowed others to come out a bit more , not suggesting Flint was a problem in dressing room but he was a major presence in dressing room in reputation and because of his natural size

He certainly appeared moody and that wasn’t over endearing ,  but to be fair I put that down to being extremely focused and serious about his football 

Difficult to be around at times ?    Possibly

Yep, I saw it as dedication, albeit a bit selfish....but who wouldn’t be in his situation and with his late start in pro football.  Had a chance, took it, and some!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

• always gave 100%
  • marked tight aerially

Good post Dave and agree with it all other than second from last point...your view he didn’t really love City is purely conjecture and while I agree with you, no one on this forum is close enough to any of our players to know what they think about the club.

i personally don’t care he is going to Cardiff...I loved flinty as a player and he provided so many good memories but we have a better cd partnership without him.

i wish him good luck 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Good post Dave and agree with it all other than second from last point...your view he didn’t really love City is purely conjecture and while I agree with you, no one on this forum is close enough to any of our players to know what they think about the club.

i personally don’t care he is going to Cardiff...I loved flinty as a player and he provided so many good memories but we have a better cd partnership without him.

i wish him good luck 

I think it’s things I picked up from a couple of interviews, before he left, and then the Adam Baker one post-Boro last season.  Yep, could be wide of the mark, and he may have hidden it, or tried to be non-committal, as things bite you on the arse.  Certainly loved back though by the vast majority.

Was fantastic for where we were as a club back then. We have moved on now and got far better in Webster and Kalas.

Funny how many were saying Baker was our best centre back when we had Flint. I always thought Flint was better. Baker now our 4th best imo. And who knows he might even be 5th if Moore or Vyner really come on strong this season.

It really shows how much we have improved.

2 hours ago, monkeyboy said:

According to the Post he's currently in someone else....

Screenshot_20190718_195102_com.android.chrome.jpg

Strange medical, but I guess if the Welsh captain likes it, he likes it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m surprised that Colin is interested in Flint.Not his type of player I’d have thought.

• Aubergine 1

41 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

i wish him good luck 

We have the best CB partnership in the league in my opinion.

Good luck to Aden - except when he plays against us.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I’m surprised that Colin is interested in Flint.Not his type of player I’d have thought.

Asolutely. - Colin loves a ball playing CB........

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We have the best CB partnership in the league in my opinion.

We do indeed and I’d have thought Colin would covet both Kalas and Webdini - both far more classy than ‘head it and kick it’ Flint is.

Edited by Robbored

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was fantastic for where we were as a club back then. We have moved on now and got far better in Webster and Kalas.

Funny how many were saying Baker was our best centre back when we had Flint. I always thought Flint was better. Baker now our 4th best imo. And who knows he might even be 5th if Moore or Vyner really come on strong this season.

It really shows how much we have improved.

Thought Baker was key in 15/16 in helping Flint adapt to playing in a back 4 under LJ (and Pembo).

Thought he was very good in first half of 17/18 too, but so was Flint.  Baker dropped his form, Flint didn’t.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Baker was key in 15/16 in helping Flint adapt to playing in a back 4 under LJ (and Pembo).

Thought he was very good in first half of 17/18 too, but so was Flint.  Baker dropped his form, Flint didn’t.

Totally agree,

i think baker helped develop him as a player,

baker is a good centre half at this level hindered by injuries, he’s never let us down when he’s played but he isn’t as good as Webber or kalas,

mind you we could deploy Webber in midfield and play baker and kalas at the back for all we know next season

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Flint is exactly the type of player he likes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Flint is exactly the type of player he likes

Flint is a Pulis type of defender. A tall stopper who is good in the air whereas I thought that Colin looked for decent footballers with more to their game than a throwback to a 1970s CB

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Flint is a Pulis type of defender. A tall stopper who is good in the air whereas I thought that Colin looked for decent footballers with more to their game than a throwback to a 1970s CB

Not in defenders, he likes a big man who’s good in the air

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• always gave 100%
  • marked tight aerially

I’ve seen you have a few stinkers Fevs!!

• Haha 1

I’m happy to be corrected by stats, but I seem to remember Flint not scoring half as many goals, following our promotion to the Championship, than he did in our League One promotion season for example.

It always seemed to me that he was no longer the same attacking force after we went up, and his defensive limitations also became more apparent perhaps, with the higher standard of football.

Not saying he didn’t still score goals in the Championship, nor that he isn’t a Championship-standard player, but for the above reasons I probably agree with those that don’t consider him to be top-end Championship.

I do like the bloke though.

And he has good tattoos. 😃

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Totally agree,

i think baker helped develop him as a player,

baker is a good centre half at this level hindered by injuries, he’s never let us down when he’s played but he isn’t as good as Webber or kalas,

mind you we could deploy Webber in midfield and play baker and kalas at the back for all we know next season

I’m against that unless it’s a one-off, catch the opposition out type thing.  I don’t think he has the instincts to receive a ball facing his own goal with a man up his arse.

34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I’ve seen you have a few stinkers Fevs!!

I always thought you were a good 10-15 yard passer Shuffs, then I realised that was your first touch 😜

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, YorksRed said:

good injury and disciplinary record for a defender

His disciplinary record was amazing.   An ever present and in one season I think he only picked up one booking in all league and cup games.  Amazing for a defender.

Who could forget that proper hatrick he scored.

Fantastic player for us, but we've moved on and he no longer fits our style.   Much more a Warnock player than Bobby Reid.  I reckon Flint will do well for you.

38 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

His disciplinary record was amazing.   An ever present and in one season I think he only picked up one booking in all league and cup games.  Amazing for a defender.

Who could forget that proper hatrick he scored.

Fantastic player for us, but we've moved on and he no longer fits our style.   Much more a Warnock player than Bobby Reid.  I reckon Flint will do well for you.

He got 1 red card in his time with us as well if I recall correctly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He got 1 red card in his time with us as well if I recall correctly 

Amazing.  I remember one game where he was elbowed and punched in the face in separate incidents and did not retaliate.   Immense discipline from the big man.  

9 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Amazing.  I remember one game where he was elbowed and punched in the face in separate incidents and did not retaliate.   Immense discipline from the big man.  

Yea he was, he was very clever