IGNORED

The Premier League – easiest to beat and our ‘bogey’ teams when we get there?

robc

I published a list of our all time record against other teams in The Championship the other day and I thought that it might be interesting to compare it with our record against those that will make up the Premier League in 2019-20.

I have listed below our average points haul in all the league matches we have ever played against each of these teams (whatever Divisions the side were in at the time) using 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw throughout. They are again shown in rank order, so our best home record is, quite amazingly, against Manchester City where we have averaged 2.45 points a game out of 3 (8 wins and 3 Draws, no defeats). We have also never lost at home to Chelsea in 12 league matches who rank 4th in the list. We have been beaten at Ashton Gate most often by Norwich City (15 times) but our worst home record by far is against Arsenal where we have averaged less than a point a game - winning only 3 times in 14 matches.

The historical stats show that the place we are most likely to win away would be Burnley where we have averaged 1.25 points a game (7 away wins and 9 draws in 24 visits) closely followed by Watford where we have won away most often (on 13 occasions). On the negative side we have never won at Chelsea (the opposite of our home record) and only ever gained a solitary win at Everton, Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham. Our worst away record is actually against the Hammers with an average of just 0.33 points a game (an eye-watering 10 defeats in 12 matches!).

How do these lists compare with your impressions of how we have performed against teams in the top flight? I am guessing that not many of you would have known that we have never lost a league match at Ashton Gate against either Chelsea or Manchester City (a total of 23 matches), even though not all of these matches would have been played in the old Division 1, of course. It certainly surprised me!

Rob C

image.png.4c5182a25d15e9c532ddf40356417727.png

Should we go up, we have, IMO, a proud record to maintain.

That we have never lost a league game at Ashton Gate to Man City and Chelsea!

Also we have the opportunity to win  a league match at Chelsea for the first time and to break the Molineux hoodoo before the 100th anniversary of our last win there (1931).

Archived