IGNORED

Trevor Tainton Interview

Davefevs

Nice interview as part of subs bench.  With what’s going on at Bolton and Bury, a harsh reminder of 1982, and in particular, hadn’t realised how much Trevor was impacted by it.

In his latter playing days, I had the pleasure of playing half a dozen games in the same Imperial Bristol team as him.  He just loved his football, and his dad used to come and watch too.  Didn’t get to know him, but a nice reminder of a unsung hero of City across a long career.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nice interview as part of subs bench.  With what’s going on at Bolton and Bury, a harsh reminder of 1982, and in particular, hadn’t realised how much Trevor was impacted by it.

In his latter playing days, I had the pleasure of playing half a dozen games in the same Imperial Bristol team as him.  He just loved his football, and his dad used to come and watch too.  Didn’t get to know him, but a nice reminder of a unsung hero of City across a long career.

It's funny isn't it.

My journey in life, to Bristol and to City has been a strange one.   You can't help who you fall in love with.  She may not be the most beautiful or the most famous, but little things you continue to learn about your club and the players they had, make you fall a little deeper and more hopelessly so.

Not the most poinient thing I've read on here, but tonight I'm feeling the love.

Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

My annual opportunity to say Trevor was the great unsung hero of the 1976 side. A terrific player in a variety of positions who has never had the credit he deserves.

Yep, a real steady Eddie,would never let the team down.Can’t really recall seeing him play too many poor games.

Trevor made his City debut the year I started going to the gate, so I probably saw most of his entire career. I ended up living in the same area and going to the same school as him and his brother too.

Oddly, when we got promoted to the top flight, I thought that he eas a good 2nd division player, but maybe not quite up to div 1 football.  Hecertainly proved me wrong though.

Certainly one of the players I remember best, along with all of that promotion winning team.  Let's just hope that we can witness the same success in the future.

I've only met him once, but I've never heard a bad word said about him in all those years. He's a very popular and well liked guy.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A lot of people don’t seem to realise that Trev is third in our list of most appearances for Bristol City - it goes, Carey, Atyeo, Tainton ... underrated ... 581 games for our club ...

Wow.  Certainly I remember Trevor Tainton as a fixture in that classic 70s side but I didn't realise how long he was at the club.

Great interview with a vastly underrated player who could be guaranteed to turn out a 7/10 minimum performance in every game he played. I knew that of the Ashton Gate 8 he was hit hard (probably the hardest) to the extent that it cost he and his wife their business, but I didn't know that it actually cost him his house and that he was declared bankrupt. No wonder it left a bitter taste and that we didn't see Trevor at players gatherings for a while. 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Trevor made his City debut the year I started going to the gate, so I probably saw most of his entire career. I ended up living in the same area and going to the same school as him and his brother too.

Oddly, when we got promoted to the top flight, I thought that he eas a good 2nd division player, but maybe not quite up to div 1 football.  Hecertainly proved me wrong though.

Certainly one of the players I remember best, along with all of that promotion winning team.  Let's just hope that we can witness the same success in the future.

I've only met him once, but I've never heard a bad word said about him in all those years. He's a very popular and well liked guy.

Hengrove?

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hengrove?

Somehow I managed to pass the 11 plus exam at Connaught Rd Juniors and missed out on my first choice of Merrywood Grammar School ( first choice because they played football only ) and went to Hengrove and was in the same year as Trevor and played in the same football and rugby teams. He was also a bloody good rugby centre as well. 

43 minutes ago, ever-red said:

His Dad lived at the end of my road in Stockwood and we couldn't believe it when one day he pulled up to visit him, it was is it him or not we used to say after that he used to visit and have a kick about  with us his mum & dad were good people.

As above I loved the fact that his dad used to watch him when he was still playing at 40.  Same with Paul Randall, his dad was still watching his son play into his 40s.

TT was a very good player , and an under rated one. Part of a really good team. Not much flash , or fancy but a proper good pro. 

Apprentice at City, Debut in1967. 27 goals in 552 (or 550 games depending on the book you're reading). I'd forgotten that in the early 70's, Bill Shankley bid £50,000 for him , no mean judge of a player Shank's . Really sad that the clubs poor running impacted on his life so much, just goes to show how the men in charge can mess up and move on, while the real workforce are left to suffer. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As above I loved the fact that his dad used to watch him when he was still playing at 40.  Same with Paul Randall, his dad was still watching his son play into his 40s.

Haha.I went to school with Paul in Glastonbury before moving to Hengrove (same age, same class).  He was one of a group of us who spent thousands of hours playing football in fields and parks and even under the spotlight in the local car park in the evenings.  Lost touch when I was 13 but still friends on Facebook.  He was also very annoyingly the best at football, cricket, swimming and particularly track and field events ?.  He was useless in goal though, which was why I played there ?. For anyone who doesn't know, he is also closely related to Mary Bignal Rand amd his Dad (Ken) was on Evertons books for a while).

Archived