IGNORED

Sarasota Metropolis v Bristol City - Coming to America - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

Good morning to your faces. 

The final international friendly of pre-season kicks off in just under 3 hours and whilst it will be chucking out time in Bristol at the local zoos - I mean schools - for the last time this summer, it will be bright and early for our boys over the pond. A 9.30am K.O. means a light brekkie, maybe a coffee or two to wake up the old noggin and some discussion about the fact Juventus aren't gonna be in FIFA 2020. DISGUSTANG.

Today's opponents are mere babies to the USL. Sarasota were formed just 5 months ago and debuted in the USL League 2 Southern Conference - South East Division, finishing 7th of 8 places.

As they are so new to the football family, there isn't much to go on but I will say two players that seem to stand out are Jordan Day and Andre Scott. Day playing the majority of games and Scott scoring 3 goals in just a combined 182 minutes. That's a goal an hour.

Interesting...

Fun fact: The IMG Academy where we've been staying and training has a tennis program ran annually. Famous alumni that have been on that program at IMG include Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and Andre Agassi.

Gonna leave it there. No idea if it's being broadcast and no idea if the Ref will call it off because of wind.

Should be a straightforward game. 4-0 City. 

Don't forget, we have a trip up the M5 to Gasheads nearest rivals Forest Green next week. Veggie pies and solar powered hand dryers ftw. Vegan cider available.

Until then folks,

COYRS!

Sarasota has a population of 56,000. It is about the size of Chippenham.

It could have called itself Sarasota Town or Sarasota City at a push, but to call itself Sarasota Metropolis is going a bit far.

I hope for that reason alone that we smash them.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

It could have called itself Sarasota Town or Sarasota City at a push, but to call itself Sarasota Metropolis is going a bit far.

Sarasota Metro has a population of over 700k.

Bit like the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex area with a combined population of around 4 million.

I suppose it gets things done re transport etc - Bristol and surrounding area could learn from it.

Anyway, should be a comfortable win with no injuries hopefully.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

This morning's #BristolCity starting XI:

Bentley, Vyner, Kalas, Webster, Dasilva, Szmodics, Pack (c), Brownhill, Weimann, Diédhiou, Eliasson.

Strong that. Add Hunt instead of Vyner and that could be starting XI against Leeds in 2 weeks. 

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

I personally feel Eliasson is going to be a big player for us next season. 

I feel the same. 

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Sarasota Metro has a population of over 700k.

Poor Googling on my part then! I forgot in America you have to search for the "metro area". Still think Metropolis is a bit of silly name.

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Poor Googling on my part then! I forgot in America you have to search for the "metro area". Still think Metropolis is a bit of silly name.

Yeh Sarasota the 'city' is a small defined area that probably is about the size of a mid-sized English town. However it's part of a largely unbroken urban sprawl of 4 lane highways, mattress shops, shopping malls and suburbs that extends all the way north to Tampa Bay.

It is a silly name though.

42 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

This morning's #BristolCity starting XI:

Bentley, Vyner, Kalas, Webster, Dasilva, Szmodics, Pack (c), Brownhill, Weimann, Diédhiou, Eliasson.

Are we starting to see the names and formation that might start the Leeds game? 

A couple of positions still up for grabs, but that looks okay to me.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh Sarasota the 'city' is a small defined area that probably is about the size of a mid-sized English town. However it's part of a largely unbroken urban sprawl of 4 lane highways, mattress shops, shopping malls and suburbs that extends all the way north to Tampa Bay.

It is a silly name though.

So would it be the size of BRISGLOSBATH tershire?

50 minutes ago, Olé said:

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Having been to Florida and a few other states, the one thing I have found travelling around is that the smallest of villages will be have an area called "Historic Old Town" and anything that has more two roads will have a sign on entering saying "City Limits". They do like to big themselves up it's true. Sarasota seems to go on forever when you are driving around, but I would guess the Metropolitan area starts around Longboat Key, coming along the coast road, and probably almost as soon as you come out of Bradenton from the north, on the inland roads. It feel like there is hardly a gap between it and Venice to the south either and that's nearly 20 miles in pretty much a straight line on US41. 

Archived