IGNORED

Sarasota Metropolis v Bristol City - Coming to America - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

To be fair otib did a thorough research of Moore's progress to come to that conclusion - They saw him play badly a few times  a few years back when he was about 19-20, mainly playing out of position at right back. What he has done since then is irrelevant!

My mate who supports Southend and gets to Roots Hall fairly regularly bloody loves the boy.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

No he did not. Sorry he only mentioned Webster and Brownhill specifically. He was just saying that he's very happy with where the players are physically. He specifically called us a "heavy" team and then gave those two players as examples.

LJ leading by example with how heavy he is looking these days!

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

My mate who supports Southend and gets to Roots Hall fairly regularly bloody loves the boy.

That's the thing. I know fans can get a lot wrong. But when it seems every single one loves a player, it seems pretty likely they're doing very well.

And that is in league one in a side that would be defending a lot, would be having fans criticise a lot that they see, as we know when we have been struggling. Yet they loved Taylor.

I actually think him struggling in league two before the success with Southend in league one is a good thing. It shows how quickly he is developing.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the thing. I know fans can get a lot wrong. But when it seems every single one loves a player, it seems pretty likely they're doing very well.

And that is in league one in a side that would be defending a lot, would be having fans criticise a lot that they see, as we know when we have been struggling. Yet they loved Taylor.

I actually think him struggling in league two before the success with Southend in league one is a good thing. It shows how quickly he is developing.

It is felt that he plays better with better players.

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

I can't help feeling we haven't really played anyone of note in pre-season (Derby doesn't really count because of the stoppages, weakened team etc). I hope we don't get too much of a shock when we play Leeds in two weeks. 

We're playing a Premier League team the weekend before.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

They've all put on muscle. Honestly all of them are stacked now. Webster has put on 16% muscle mass since he joined us. Brownhill gained 14% over the past year. Opi Edwards has gone from a tiny little lad to a stocky terror on the wing. Gilmartin is an absolute mountain of a man. We are a big, heavy team.

Those stats as said by LJ at the open training session.

Interesting could also have played a part in Webster staying injury free. I know form personal experiene that gaining muscle can compensate a lot for ligaments etc. 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Wasn't mentioned. But yes he's a big lad up close. Looks like he's naturally a little less lean than someone like Brownhill or Paterson, but he's a solid unit. As an aside he did pretty well at LB in the rained off game v Derby. 

I think for many of them it is a result of not only hours in the gym but also that natural maturing you go through in your early 20s

Absolutely bang on there, @ExiledAjax I started filling out at about 22 years old.  40 years later and I've just hit the ideal 19 stone.

The first few weeks are about fitness generally.  Breed a bit of confidence too.  Don’t want new boys like Szmodics fearing he can’t make the step-up for example by playing Man City, etc.  We aren’t looking at friendlies for generating income per se like come clubs, and in fact hosting someone like Man City might cost us - they won’t come to us for free!!

When they return home it will be shape and system, and build up to Palace and pre-cursor to Leeds.

A very sensible schedule imho from an outsider looking in.  They look bloody fit!

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah I know but I would've liked to see a couple more tougher games. Your Hallens and your Sarasotas are fairly pointless

These games are not pointless, certainly not the Hallen game which sees City give back to the local community. The real point however is that most of pre-season is about fitness, bonding of new players and experimention of styles and systems leading to the final game (this year Palace) when you hope things have come together. It doesn't do to drive yourself into the ground and possibly lower confidence by playing teams we may not be ready for prior to the start of the season. Leeds, a team who see themselves not only in the Premier league but as serious contenders within it, got totally smashed by Man Utd the other night. Let's see if that sets them back. 

Archived