IGNORED

Sarasota Metropolis v Bristol City - Coming to America - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

5 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Absolutely bang on there, @ExiledAjax I started filling out at about 22 years old.  40 years later and I've just hit the ideal 19 stone.

Same path to the creation of the Adonis body as me! Skinny wretch until late 20’s then the ‘muscles’ started to fill out and not really stopped. 

I’m just slightly behind the curve on the weight side or, should I say, bulge. 

22 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I can't help feeling we haven't really played anyone of note in pre-season (Derby doesn't really count because of the stoppages, weakened team etc). I hope we don't get too much of a shock when we play Leeds in two weeks. 

Out of interest, what sort of opposition would you like to see?

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Same path to the creation of the Adonis body as me! Skinny wretch until late 20’s then the ‘muscles’ started to fill out and not really stopped. 

I’m just slightly behind the curve on the weight side or, should I say, bulge. 

Back in my slimmer days I was full back playing for Briton Ferry in the Welsh League.  Young opposition winger for BP Llandarcy (a right local derby) aged about 17 and fast as **** was constantly skinning me.  In the end I had to put in a waist high tackle to stop him getting past for the Nth time.  Did the old trick of standing on his long hair whilst helping him up.  That was when his Mum swatted me over the head with her umbrella.  1-1.  These days I'd just block his way and his light!

I think Lee will p

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The first few weeks are about fitness generally.  Breed a bit of confidence too.  Don’t want new boys like Szmodics fearing he can’t make the step-up for example by playing Man City, etc.  We aren’t looking at friendlies for generating income per se like come clubs, and in fact hosting someone like Man City might cost us - they won’t come to us for free!!

When they return home it will be shape and system, and build up to Palace and pre-cursor to Leeds.

A very sensible schedule imho from an outsider looking in.  They look bloody fit!

Agree think this was all about fitness and bonding  with the new players. Expect the Palace game to be closer to the final team for Leeds minus  any last minute signings. Should be a good test against a lower half  premier league team.

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Actually I was going to say a League One side, but I didn't realise AFC Wimbledon were League One. So ignore me. I'm sure they know what they're doing more than I do anyway! 

As RF says these pre season games are perfect opportunity to improve match fitness and to work on particular styes of play against opponents trying to do exactly the same things. Results aren’t so important either.

Playing these games against better quality opponents isn’t so important for the reason already mentioned. On the other side, it’s important not to play team full of cloggers and risk serious injury to our players and that actually happened when City went to Botswana a few seasons ago and one of our players was out injured for weeks. I can’t remember who it was now.

Playing ‘big’ teams is only attractive to fans and not necessarily useful to LJ and his coaches.

49 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

I think Lee will p

Agree think this was all about fitness and bonding  with the new players. Expect the Palace game to be closer to the final team for Leeds minus  any last minute signings. Should be a good test against a lower half  premier league team.

Bound to eventually.

Archived