IGNORED

Car insurance

Tipps69

On the back of me buying a new motor in the near future, does anyone have any tips for buying car insurance or is it as simple as searching through the comparison sites? I just feel like I must be missing a trick here & I could potentially save a bit of money somewhere along the lines here.

Just had my renewal notification from Hastings and they've ADDED 15% to my quotation even though I've an extra years no claims. They'll be getting binned in the morning as Insure wiser are £200 cheaper.

A friend had the same thing with Hastings so I would be very wary of them. 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I've only looked on money supermarket so far but just by changing my answer on one question to yes, which was 'am I the owner of the vehicle' (or will I be)? Saved me over £250 & then by switching my answer to yes on 'do I own any other vehicles', (which I will once I buy the new vehicle, I've now got it down another £80 or so!!

45 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just had my renewal notification from Hastings and they've ADDED 15% to my quotation even though I've an extra years no claims. They'll be getting binned in the morning as Insure wiser are £200 cheaper.

A friend had the same thing with Hastings so I would be very wary of them. 

Hastings do the same thing to me every year, I just call them up and point out the price the comparison sites are offering  (they are usually the cheapest for me) and they adjust the price straight away.

Bit of a pain and I think they're just trying it on hoping people can't be bothered, but never had any problems.

Just use price comparison sites, and do so every time it's up for renewal.  Worth looking at the cover and the claims handling experience as well as the price, sometimes a small difference in cash is a big difference in cover and service. 

Every company will always offer you a shit renewal because a percentage of people don't bother finding a competing quote, so never ever accept auto renewal.

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Without naming the company I get mine from a major supermarket (which took the Tote End) and have never found anyone any cheaper for many years.

A shop that took the Tote End? That doesn’t narrow it down, the 89 year old lady that runs my local shop could have taken the Tote End!

Sign up with Quidco. Go through their links to the comparison sites or individual insurance companies, and get some cash back. It varies. But I just got 45 quid back going through it which makes the insurance even cheaper. 

Infact I order almost everything I buy online through Quidco links. This year alone January to July I have earned just about £500 quid cash back just shy by 3 pound.

You don't get the money immediately.. but you do get it. 

I switch every year. No point in loyalty any more.

• Admin
22 hours ago, Nibor said:

Just use price comparison sites, and do so every time it's up for renewal.  Worth looking at the cover and the claims handling experience as well as the price, sometimes a small difference in cash is a big difference in cover and service. 

Every company will always offer you a shit renewal because a percentage of people don't bother finding a competing quote, so never ever accept auto renewal.

I appreciate that in nearly all circumstances that will be the case, but last year my multicar policy came down by staying with my current insurer (without having to ring and haggle, if I ever have to do that, I leave for a cheaper one anyway)  and was significantly cheaper than the policies that comparison sites came up with.  The company;  Aviva, been with them several years and they have been cheapest and with decent cover NCB, business use, replacement vehicle etc.

On 21/07/2019 at 15:04, richwwtk said:

Hastings do the same thing to me every year, I just call them up and point out the price the comparison sites are offering  (they are usually the cheapest for me) and they adjust the price straight away.

Bit of a pain and I think they're just trying it on hoping people can't be bothered, but never had any problems.

Cheers Rich, did exactly as you said and they dropped the price by £230 immediately.

Nice one.

33 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I appreciate that in nearly all circumstances that will be the case, but last year my multicar policy came down by staying with my current insurer (without having to ring and haggle, if I ever have to do that, I leave for a cheaper one anyway)  and was significantly cheaper than the policies that comparison sites came up with.  The company;  Aviva, been with them several years and they have been cheapest and with decent cover NCB, business use, replacement vehicle etc.

Good to know and I will check them out next time mine comes around but I am always suspicious of companies that try to opt out of price comparison websites.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Good to know and I will check them out next time mine comes around but I am always suspicious of companies that try to opt out of price comparison websites.

Aviva and direct line are by far the cheapest for me. There are quite a few direct line brands that do go through the comparison sites but tend to range from slightly to a lot more than getting quotes straight from direct line.

I always check comparison sites as well but they can't come close to aviva or direct line on car insurance the last couple of years for me.

I think direct line may have black listed me because I've cancelled my last two car policies with them for genuine reasons mid policy and then my home insurance quote recently was ridiculous.

Started off with Swinton..  tesco.. for absolutely ages (though last few years noticed they were being greedy and dont price match on renewals with other companies either)

So this year I changed to sainsburys bank saved about £146 for the same level of cover.

Generally comparison sites then the cheapest go direct 

Quote Me Happy have served me well for the last three years - even when my car was keyed in 2017 and I had to claim the premium did not increase as it wasn't my fault (I'd expected the worst!).  Before that I was with Tesco for ages then it went up by three times the previous year for no reason I could think of (so I left for a year and returned and it was less than it was when I was with them the previous time!)

Delighted to quote you Ron... Here you go, word for word mate... :) 

23 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Quote Me Happy have served me well for the last three years - even when my car was keyed in 2017 and I had to claim the premium did not increase as it wasn't my fault (I'd expected the worst!).  Before that I was with Tesco for ages then it went up by three times the previous year for no reason I could think of (so I left for a year and returned and it was less than it was when I was with them the previous time!)

Apparently the best time to renew, is 21 days before the renewal date. Can't remember the reasons given, but it was advice given by Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert).

Haven't tried it personally myself, but have seen others say that it is cheaper that way.

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

Apparently the best time to renew, is 21 days before the renewal date. Can't remember the reasons given, but it was advice given by Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert).

Haven't tried it personally myself, but have seen others say that it is cheaper that way.

Hard to do when buying a new car though ?

Archived