IGNORED

Price of football in 1980/81

Bristol Rob

1 hour ago, cider hoss rules said:

Makes you wonder what else you got to make up the season ticket price?

Sitting for Arsenal's 23 home games would cost £69, yet to have the season ticket was £84

Not just them either looking at the lists.

Actually was 21 home games so £63 so £21 more for a season ticket, thus cost 25% less to potd. The only thing I can conjure up to justify getting a more expensive season ticket is that Arsenal were more likely to reach cup finals etc and have a big demand for a limited, even more so in those days, supply of tickets, season ticket holders were given priority when it came to ticket distribution.

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Just done an (online) inflation calculator on this and the £48 season ticket is the equivalent of £204.13 today.

Thank you , this is one of those irritating things when people try to shock .

It is similar to those reports when journalists say that , for example, car workers in Romania only earn €300 a month .

It means nothing , €300 euros a month in France is nowhere near a livable wage but in Romania where the cost of living is way lower that could be a small fortune.

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Football? Pretty shit really. I have never left a cinema or a concert crying or wondering why I torture myself so much.

You've never been to a Leonard Cohen gig then?  :) 

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting to see what that is in today's money- inflation adjusted v wage adjusted etc.

Actually scratch that, someone's already covered it! People have been priced out, this offers a bit of evidence to the fact but sure people have been priced out last 20-30 years IMO.

Really..? 

Would you care to compare attendances between most clubs in 1980 to last season and see if that indicates that “people have been priced out”..? 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Really..? 

Would you care to compare attendances between most clubs in 1980 to last season and see if that indicates that “people have been priced out”..? 

Comparing raw attendances at times of vastly different economic circs in a country can be misleading.

Maybe not huge numbers but I reckon some have been in 30 years yeah- average ages of crowds are rising across the board for a start and this is a medium-long term trend. There was a time a matchday ticket at the football cost similar to the cinema- which I know has likewise gone up in price too. Standing ticket based on 1980 prices to 2019 would've been £5.53 according to a quick inflation calculator check. Seated one £12.76.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Comparing raw attendances at times of vastly different economic circs in a country can be misleading.

Maybe not huge numbers but I reckon some have been in 30 years yeah- average ages of crowds are rising across the board for a start.

Our pricing for under 21’s is very good though. 

I’d suggest that the younger generation being more of a “TV” generation is more of a reason, than being priced out. 

Aren’t something like 25% of our season ticket holders under 21..? (I’m sure I read something like that recently) How does that compare to the early 1980’s..? 

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Our pricing for under 21’s is very good though. 

I’d suggest that the younger generation being more of a “TV” generation is more of a reason, than being priced out. 

Aren’t something like 25% of our season ticket holders under 21..? (I’m sure I read something like that recently) How does that compare to the early 1980’s..? 

It is, though even that has risen- but of course that's a higher standard of football, the market generally and inflation. Fair enough. I am sure I remember in early 2000's a £50 season ticket for kids and maybe it was less- but then again it was League One and the early 2000's!

Bit of both IMO- TV generation, spread of Sky and glory hunting but yes both IMO.

If so that is great- I was commenting on general changes in the game and it is true that as some have been priced out, a lot have been "priced in" if that makes sense- the vastly better facilities, the lack of trouble and the slicker product all doubtless play a role. Still feel that- and it's not just price tbh but it's also a lack of standing areas (not something clubs can rectify without FA, Government say-so granted),  perhaps the formalisation- ie season ticket a must, all seater, greater % of reserved seating, all a necessity in the modern game- mix of it but think changes and price combined may have disenfranchised certain groups if you like- perhaps priced out a bit broad. Still if we are bucking the trend fantastic, it really is but broadly it is something quite noticeable in football- will see if I can find relevant data but I do recall reading average age of Old Trafford crowd e.g. had shot right up! Would be interesting but doubtless there's no figures online, to see average age of crowd 20-30 years ago, let alone 1980 vs now- not just ST holders but all fans.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It is, though even that has risen- but of course that's a higher standard of football, the market generally and inflation. Fair enough. I am sure I remember in early 2000's a £50 season ticket for kids and maybe it was less- but then again it was League One and the early 2000's!

Bit of both IMO- TV generation, spread of Sky and glory hunting but yes both IMO.

If so that is great- I was commenting on general changes in the game and it is true that as some have been priced out, a lot have been "priced in" if that makes sense- the vastly better facilities, the lack of trouble and the slicker product all doubtless play a role. Still feel that- and it's not just price tbh but it's also a lack of standing areas (not something clubs can rectify without FA, Government say-so granted),  perhaps the formalisation- ie season ticket a must, all seater, greater % of reserved seating, all a necessity in the modern game- mix of it but think changes and price combined may have disenfranchised certain groups if you like- perhaps priced out a bit broad. Still if we are bucking the trend fantastic, it really is but broadly it is something quite noticeable in football- will see if I can find relevant data but I do recall reading average age of Old Trafford crowd e.g. had shot right up! Would be interesting but doubtless there's no figures online, to see average age of crowd 20-30 years ago, let alone 1980 vs now- not just ST holders but all fans.

I have no idea on the average ages of crowds. I did google the article I thoughts I’d seen and it claimed that in 2018, 1 in 3 of our season ticket holders were under 25. 

I think football nowadays is far more family friendly and a far safer & more attractive package for younger supporters than ever before. 

I get your point in some groups not liking the “modern way” of the game, but they have been replaced and increased in numbers - so if not being able to act in the ways that some deem “traditional” means they make way for others, then overall it’s not owing to concern clubs. They are probably delighted for SOME “old school” supporters to be replaced by people who can behave in public. Especially in bigger numbers. 

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Really..? 

People have evidently and clearly been priced out. The rich or even middle class have got richer and the population has increased vastly since 1980/81. you also have more foriegners/tourists wathcing football since the ease of visiting big cities. You only have to compare other easy examples such as residential housing to see things have gotten out of hand price wise

50 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

People have evidently and clearly been priced out. The rich or even middle class have got richer and the population has increased vastly since 1980/81. you also have more foriegners/tourists wathcing football since the ease of visiting big cities. You only have to compare other easy examples such as residential housing to see things have gotten out of hand price wise

Where’s your “clear evidence” of people being priced out..? 

What proportional percentage of the population regularly attended football in the early 80’s compared to today..?

I’m not sure what Residential housing comparisons have to do with the price of football tickets, especially in the face of attendances generally being higher now, than in the early 80’s. 

A season ticket costs circa £1 per day. I don’t think that equates to people being priced out. Add a child’s ticket at 13p per day and it’s excellent value. I am sure most people saying they are priced out are just prioritising other things such as Sky Sports, nice holidays, meals out above watching City. 

14 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Football? Pretty shit really. I have never left a cinema or a concert crying or wondering why I torture myself so much.

At the same time, there must be many similarities for you. At Glastonbury/other festivals they often have cinema and music tents. You must feel at home watching football at the Mem. 

23 hours ago, RedDave said:

A season ticket costs circa £1 per day. I don’t think that equates to people being priced out. Add a child’s ticket at 13p per day and it’s excellent value. I am sure most people saying they are priced out are just prioritising other things such as Sky Sports, nice holidays, meals out above watching City. 

Ahhhh, you’re point in entirely valid for some but fear you will get pelters for your generalisation, a homeless person is priced out of a dairy milk etc

but yes, you are right minimum sports sky package is £480 or so so it’s very interesting to look at it that way, let’s say you just want channel variety,  if you remove sports to prioritise watching live football you are 2/3 of your way to a season ticket!

guess it’s all about priorities and some want it all and will complain about incessantly.

I think more could be done on single match pricing to make is more accessible to all who can’t afford a season ticket or to go all the time. you don’t want to undermine season ticket pricing benefits so with the technology about these days maybe low low prices could be offered to people with a cap on the number of matches they attend?

20 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Ahhhh, you’re point in entirely valid for some but fear you will get pelters for your generalisation, a homeless person is priced out of a dairy milk etc

but yes, you are right minimum sports sky package is £480 or so so it’s very interesting to look at it that way, let’s say you just want channel variety,  if you remove sports to prioritise watching live football you are 2/3 of your way to a season ticket!

guess it’s all about priorities and some want it all and will complain about incessantly.

I think more could be done on single match pricing to make is more accessible to all who can’t afford a season ticket or to go all the time. you don’t want to undermine season ticket pricing benefits so with the technology about these days maybe low low prices could be offered to people with a cap on the number of matches they attend?

I’ve said before how match day tickets should be cheaper the more games you attend. So instead of 23 x £35 tickets if you end up going to every game POTD, there should be a staggered system where it averages out at say 23 x £27.  Still a fair bit more expensive than a season ticket but a good incentive to keep coming back. 

46 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’ve said before how match day tickets should be cheaper the more games you attend. So instead of 23 x £35 tickets if you end up going to every game POTD, there should be a staggered system where it averages out at say 23 x £27.  Still a fair bit more expensive than a season ticket but a good incentive to keep coming back. 

They are, it’s called a season ticket :)

Archived