IGNORED

Gareth Bale

The Batman

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Serie A on a definite uptick again- good chance he'll have CL football in the New Year too. Don't think Inter under Conte such a bad move- Chinese League however...

Well said Popodopolous. 

Loved Football Italia in the 90s and glad to see certain clubs trying to carry the torch into 2019. Obviously Juve are now a huge brand, with Ronaldo and De Ligt. A shame AC Milan have requested not to be in the Europa.

5 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Well said Popodopolous. 

Loved Football Italia in the 90s and glad to see certain clubs trying to carry the torch into 2019. Obviously Juve are now a huge brand, with Ronaldo and De Ligt. A shame AC Milan have requested not to be in the Europa.

I got into football in the 90's and seria a was the glamorous league. So many good players and the Italian national team had so many class players. Back then you could name a starting 11 without looking, now I couldn't think of more than 2-3. Same for quite a few counties like Holland, Brazil, Argentina. There doesn't seem to be as many big names anymore 

12 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I got into football in the 90's and seria a was the glamorous league. So many good players and the Italian national team had so many class players. Back then you could name a starting 11 without looking, now I couldn't think of more than 2-3. Same for quite a few counties like Holland, Brazil, Argentina. There doesn't seem to be as many big names anymore 

Think this is true- a lot of talented individuals sure but actual big names? Seems you have very fine players, world class and them mega stars of which there are a handful- or rising potential mega stars-and only these are the major names now.,

Seems that there are a lot less as you say. My take is that as the game has become a lot more tactical over 20-25 years, more about the team, less about the individual- and definitely a lot less about the maverick star.

Very little room for them at the top level, unfortunately now.

24 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Well said Popodopolous. 

Definitely got its problems but it's on the rise again- an intriguing one are Atalanta who will now be in the CL. If they take their form in Serie A big games in recent times and indeed their Europa League when they beat an (admittedly weak at that time) Everton 3-0 and 5-1 as well as 4 points off Lyon into the CL they could definitely shock a few. Their problems are structural and the "product" at a lot of clubs- i.e. a number of half empty grounds, hard to get tickets amongst other things- the football itself isn't too bad.

15 hours ago, cider-manc said:

They sure are- At one point they were booing ronaldo! Imagine having one of the top two players in the world (possibly of all time) who is regularly winning you trophies...  And you boo him as he had a lean month! Mental.

I don't know if it's true but i read on a forum today that bale actually has better goals, asists and trophies won stats at real than zidane did as a player.

Bale can count himself lucky that his spell coincided with Real's manager being the joint most successful of all time with regards their crown jewel,  the European Cup.

Have a lot of sympathy for Bale and the ways he's been treated by the club and its fans, but there comes a time when you just need to call it quits. Sitting out a contract will do nothing for his mental health, either in the next three years of when he's 75 contemplating his career, which he'll regret I can guarantee you. Nor would playing in the footballing backwater that is China for a mill a week.

Anyone that puts money ahead of progressing their art through hard work and application needs to have a look at themselves. This guy already has all the money he could dream of, what he needs to do now is just go to a preferred  club that would be most beneficial to further his art and accept 100-200k a week (if that's through RM paying parts of his wage, then so be it). Then he can dish out some retribution by dumping RM out of the CL if he gets the chance.

28 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Have a lot of sympathy for Bale and the ways he's been treated by the club and its fans, but there comes a time when you just need to call it quits. Sitting out a contract will do nothing for his mental health, either in the next three years of when he's 75 contemplating his career, which he'll regret I can guarantee you. Nor would playing in the footballing backwater that is China for a mill a week.

Anyone that puts money ahead of progressing their art through hard work and application needs to have a look at themselves. This guy already has all the money he could dream of, what he needs to do now is just go to a preferred  club that would be most beneficial to further his art and accept 100-200k a week (if that's through RM paying parts of his wage, then so be it). Then he can dish out some retribution by dumping RM out of the CL if he gets the chance.

If GB was at the start of his career, I might agree with your view, but he has just turned 30 and, despite media quotes to the contrary, he and his family appear happy and well settled in Madrid, so why should he contemplate leaving such a comfortable lifestyle to play and live in, e.g. Manchester or even China?

As you state quite correctly, GB is undoubtedly extremely wealthy and may just be putting his family life at the forefront. 

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If GB was at the start of his career, I might agree with your view, but he has just turned 30 and, despite media quotes to the contrary, he and his family appear happy and well settled in Madrid, so why should he contemplate leaving such a comfortable lifestyle to play and live in, e.g. Manchester or even China?

As you state quite correctly, GB is undoubtedly extremely wealthy and may just be putting his family life at the forefront. 

Yep, that did enter my mind when writing it. If that's the case, fair play for putting his family first, but would he be happy deep down. Know I wouldn't

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Bale can count himself lucky that his spell coincided with Real's manager being the joint most successful of all time with regards their crown jewel,  the European Cup.

My point was that the fans are fickle.

ZZ is considered one of their greatest players of all time and is worshiped by the fans yet GB is frequently booed despite arguably achieving more on the pitch. Obviously there is more too it than that, ZZ is the better player...but you do have to wonder what else GB can do (on the pitch) to ever win them over. Maybe a spectacular goal in the crown jewel final.....

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

My point was that the fans are fickle.

ZZ is considered one of their greatest players of all time and is worshiped by the fans yet GB is frequently booed despite arguably achieving more on the pitch. Obviously there is more too it than that, ZZ is the better player...but you do have to wonder what else GB can do (on the pitch) to ever win them over. Maybe a spectacular goal in the crown jewel final.....

No worries, comment not aimed at you.

I saw the same stat graphic. Just made me think of the Stewart Lee taxi driver skit "you can argue anything with facts." 

I did have a look at Zidane's roll of honour, and this one is pretty special: "Only player in history to win the World Cup and the European Championship while being named best player of both competitions"

23 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I'm sure I've read that he's been offered silly money like £1m per week to play in China or something.

As a player with only a few years left at the top level, that must be quite tempting. Make hay whilst the sun shines, perhaps.

1 year in China will take a year off your life. The place is a polluted shithole, everything is awful about China.

4 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

1 year in China will take a year off your life. The place is a polluted shithole, everything is awful about China.

I must say that's a rather sweeping statement and judgement of an enormous country. However it certainly is extremely different culturally. I've not been, but my son has lived there, and parts are stunningly beautiful. 

I'll ask my Chinese daughter in law if she agrees with your appraisal ?.

I would add that they are both very happy living in Perth WA. Which, however you look at it, is most definitely not a polluted shithole. ?

4 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Aguero is revered by Man City yet his English is abysmal considering the amount of time he has lived here.

There are a fair few players whose English is abysmal, despite being born here!

Few things I've seen/read/heard over the last couple of weeks...

Bale doesn't integrate with the lifestyle and hasn't bothered to learn the language. 
Bale is shy , competent if not fluent in Spanish but is reluctant to speak publicly .
He refused to play  the other day after not starting.
His record Vs ZZ is slightly better .
The Chinese team have offered £20m signing on and £1m a week for Bale.
ZZ said , Bale was left out because the club are trying to sell him," he told the press. "If he can go tomorrow, it would be better.
He followed that up by saying his Spanish can be confusing !!
Danny Mills thinks he deserves the £600,000 a week as he's worked hard to get in this position and shouldn't take a pay cut to play in the Prem. 
Oh, and Liverpool are in for him.

Not sure how much of that is true, but what he does next will show whether he wants to play or just take the money. Oh and that head to head Vs ZZ

Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 17.15.21.png

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Zidane's had a change of heart?

Real's injury list mounting up?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone has decided this over the manager's head.

It seems unlikely they'll win anything this season.

Well, we`re in mini-meltdown over losing a friendly to Palace so how must their fans be reacting to their 7-3 thumping by Atletico?

I think Bale would be an idiot to go to China now anyway. Of course it's a lot of money but really, does an extra few million make a difference to his lifestyle at this point? Anyway, the China option would still be there in three years time anyway. Go to England, Italy, Germany, France... wherever, for three years then go take your final payday in China...

Unless, it seems he may have fallen out of love for the game and it's now just about having a laugh and stacking up the cash then go what you want, nobody really cares, like Ibrahimovic.

8 minutes ago, TBW said:

I think Bale would be an idiot to go to China now anyway. Of course it's a lot of money but really, does an extra few million make a difference to his lifestyle at this point? Anyway, the China option would still be there in three years time anyway. Go to England, Italy, Germany, France... wherever, for three years then go take your final payday in China...

Unless, it seems he may have fallen out of love for the game and it's now just about having a laugh and stacking up the cash then go what you want, nobody really cares, like Ibrahimovic.

Hes being offered double his current deal to go to China, who in Europe would even match what real are paying him? So its not just 'a few million' were talking potentially another £25m a season. In 3 years he may not get the million a week contract offer as he won't be the same player. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Hes being offered double his current deal to go to China, who in Europe would even match what real are paying him? So its not just 'a few million' were talking potentially another £25m a season. In 3 years he may not get the million a week contract offer as he won't be the same player. 

What lifestyle difference is an extra £25m a year to a guy earning what he gets already? What's he really going to do with that, honestly? Invest in a tech company? Buy all the cars in the world? Build a swimming pool filled with cash?

One thing to note is that the Chinese club he was off to- and tbh I think someone already pointed it out much earlier in the thread, have a stake in Inter Milan.

What'd be to stop a loan to Inter within a few months? Likely CL football in the New Year, surely towards the top end of Serie A under Conte, attendances right up there again at San Siro last few years.

I heard the news announcement that this Chinese team would pay Bale one million pounds per week.

Regardless of whether he or anyone else deserves that amount, how can his club afford that? His team mates will demand similar and where's the club's supporting income?

No FFP in China presumably?

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Regardless of whether he or anyone else deserves that amount, how can his club afford that? His team mates will demand similar and where's the club's supporting income?

No FFP in China presumably?

None whatsoever- it's a UEFA not a FIFA invention.

Part of China's strategy of trying to establish themselves as a superpower verbatim, football as national prestige part of that.

Throw megabucks at big players, the bigger the better and managers. Lippi, Capello and now Benitez to name three- trying to fast track their way into national team football elite and this part of an idea to drive up standards IMO.

Archived