IGNORED

New Rule Change Impact

Red 90

Goal Kick

'The ball is in play once the kick is taken, it can be played before leaving the penalty area'

I had to admit, I didn't think this rule change would have much on an impact on the game. However, after now competing in pre season games I can see this rule having a real positive affect on the tempo of games. It really quickens play up and the ball seems to be back in play a LOT quicker than in previous seasons. I think teams with ball playing centre backs 'such as Webster' will really benefit from this. On the flip side, we play one up top the same as city with Fam and as you cannot enter the 18 yard box it makes it almost impossible to defend from the front from goal kicks and a lot more tiring for the strikers to try and chase down, as over 90 mins not one goal kick was kicked long.

It will be interesting to see over the season how it will affect different teams, as IMO it will really help ball playing quick tempo teams like us but not old school route one teams such as Cardiff, especially even more so now with Aden at the back there!

15 minutes ago, TBW said:

I don't see how this is really any different. 

As you could previous block a pass, standing between say the RB and CB so there was no other option for the keeper other than to kick it long to the half way line - A defender can receive the ball inside the box so that pass is always on.

Watching the game it may not appear that much of a difference, only time will tell. But what I can tell you from playing myself it has changed the pace of the play from goal kicks and the dynamics/tactics of play.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else on the forum who actually plays the game themselves. 

45 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

It will also stop  teams deliberately wasting time by defenders touching the ball before it clears the penalty area and then having to re take the goal kick. 

That often-used, really annoying "trick"?

I dont think I've ever seen a player do it to deliberately waste time neither through watching or playing.

2 hours ago, TBW said:

I think the difference is that Fielding can now pass the ball a few feet to Flint who can himself launch the ball into Row Z of the Dolman.

What? What do you mean " Move on"....

20 minutes ago, TBW said:

Yeah, I'm still not sure this is being explained very well... Maybe I thought this was already the rule anyway so it's just going straight over my head.

Previously, if the ball was touched before it left the penalty area, then the goal-kick had to be retaken.

Under the new rule, a defender can recieve the ball within the area, and the attacker has to remain outside until the kick is taken. So basically a defender can recieve the ball initially unchallenged. 

I’d also like the rule to revert back to goal kicks having to be taken from the side of the goal where the ball went out. The rule as it is currently gives keepers license to waste time by jogging slowly to the other side of the six yard box to take the goal kick. 

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Previously, if the ball was touched before it left the penalty area, then the goal-kick had to be retaken.

Under the new rule, a defender can recieve the ball within the area, and the attacker has to remain outside until the kick is taken. So basically a defender can recieve the ball initially unchallenged. 

OK. Assuming as soon as he receives the ball it's then fair game. Would be entertaining to see the defender run around with it (in the box) for as long as he wants, unchallenged.

1 hour ago, TBW said:

OK. Assuming as soon as he receives the ball it's then fair game. Would be entertaining to see the defender run around with it (in the box) for as long as he wants, unchallenged.

Not sure that will be allowed. ❓

However, can a player tap it to the goalie and then he can pick it up?

8 hours ago, TBW said:

It is significantly different.  A player can receive the ball inside the box from his Keeper. The player can receive the ball in more space than he would from a free kick or as players formerly did dropping off to edge of the box to receive possession.

It will favour teams that  build from the back proficiently and teams with keepers of high footballing ability. The back pass rule change (92) lead to huge changes in the keepers game and this will alter further the % of time keepers play the ball with their feet v hands.

CB's dropping into the box will create differing passing options as the full backs can utilise the space splitting CB's formerly occupied. In theory it appears it should be easier to utilise holding midfielders to play out as a pivot.

At the very least the rule change at goal kicks gives the defending team differing questions as the offensive team have more space to play out with and the defending team more space to control. 

21 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is significantly different.  A player can receive the ball inside the box from his Keeper. The player can receive the ball in more space than he would from a free kick or as players formerly did dropping off to edge of the box to receive possession.

It will favour teams that  build from the back proficiently and teams with keepers of high footballing ability. The back pass rule change (92) lead to huge changes in the keepers game and this will alter further the % of time keepers play the ball with their feet v hands.

CB's dropping into the box will create differing passing options as the full backs can utilise the space splitting CB's formerly occupied. In theory it appears it should be easier to utilise holding midfielders to play out as a pivot.

At the very least the rule change at goal kicks gives the defending team differing questions as the offensive team have more space to play out with and the defending team more space to control. 

It is something I think people have to see to grasp. Watched some football over the summer and in the Gold Cup games(North American teams) they did this a lot. 

It makes the pitch bigger really. If you have any competence playing from the back you can draw in a press to basically where the goal kicks are taken. Also gives defenders that space to receive the ball. They can stand next to the keeper and just have it tapped to them like a kickoff. It will be interesting to see how it progresses over the season but I am sure we will utilise it a bit. 

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Not sure that will be allowed. ❓

However, can a player tap it to the goalie and then he can pick it up?

Wouldn't that be a back pass?

Same as if a player took a free kick from outside the box under the old rule and just kicked it back to the keeper.

Teams will still time waste under the new rule. Keeper looks to play it short then,, oh no, hang on I'll kick it long and then wait for defenders to move further up pitch. Bit like Fielding used to do with players looking for it short.

58 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I see all the benefits to the side taking the goal kick. It will allow footballing teams to play it from the very back and hopefully less launching.

The down side is that sooner or later, the defending team will goof up and with keeper and two defenders sat on their backsides, a very grateful lone striker will be adding another softie to his season's goals tally!

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Looking forward to watching teams like Man City's approach to the new rule, look to play out but also Ederson so skilled with kicking and picking out long range balls, imagine they could well be working on plays to sucker in players before playing long.

Goal keeper takes the goalkick to his defender in the box.

Defender chips it up into the air and then heads it to the goalie.

Goalie grasps the ball just as he's flattened by several overweight attackers running in from outside the penalty area.

Ref calls for Var and after viewing decides it is inconclusive the goalie hadn't been feigning injury as he had thought.

Ref blows up for the goalkick to be taken again. 

20 minutes ago, The Penguin said:

Defender chips it up into the air and then heads it to the goalie.

Goalie grasps the ball just as he's flattened by several overweight attackers running in from outside the penalty area.

Ref calls for Var and after viewing decides it is inconclusive the goalie hadn't been feigning injury as he had thought.

Ref blows up for the goalkick to be taken again. 

That's a cautionable offence, I'm afraid.

Screenshot_20190723-010149~2.png

Archived