IGNORED

This seasons "Dark Horse" ​​​​​​​

Sturny

Darkest of horses but perhaps Birmingham could spring some surprises? Yes they've lost Che Adams but Jutkiewicz actually had a very good season last year. They've a solid squad even if few players jump out at you as being the type who can win you a game on his own. Crowley seems like he could be a decent signing. In pre-season they have managed to beat two of the "greatest" teams in the country so they must be up to something!

I'd expect most would predict a top six of (in no particular order) Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff, West Brom, Stoke and Huddersfield.

We'll then be categorised in the next cluster with the likes of Boro, Derby, Preston, Swansea, Sheff Wed, Forest, Brentford etc. All given the line of "If they can make it click and capitalise on their potential then this team could yet gatecrash the play-offs."

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Darkest of horses but perhaps Birmingham could spring some surprises? Yes they've lost Che Adams but Jutkiewicz actually had a very good season last year. They've a solid squad even if few players jump out at you as being the type who can win you a game on his own. Crowley seems like he could be a decent signing. In pre-season they have managed to beat two of the "greatest" teams in the country so they must be up to something!

I'd expect most would predict a top six of (in no particular order) Leeds, Fulham, Cardiff, West Brom, Stoke and Huddersfield.

We'll then be categorised in the next cluster with the likes of Boro, Derby, Preston, Swansea, Sheff Wed, Forest, Brentford etc. All given the line of "If they can make it click and capitalise on their potential then this team could yet gatecrash the play-offs."

Could be okay Birmingham but don't see them as being near top 6.

Adams a major hole, Jota their top creator- 11 assists, Morrison I think was their captain and of course the one who brought it all together Monk. Mahoney not necessarily replaced either.

21 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I seriously believe that if we sign Eddie Nketiah, it will make us promotion contenders in our own right.  Sod the dark horse, lets make it clear from the outset. 

Make what clear?

And if we do ",make it clear" - that's just heaping pressure on ourselves.

We have a good team, let them under-estimate us. Far easier to win games when you are being underestimated.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@EnderMB

I had them down as one of the strongest on paper- Parker interchanged with Jokanovic the difference of course- even before Cavaleiro and Knockaert.

Can't see why Fulham are discounted at all. They still have a lot of the side that were unbeaten in 23 games and have strengthened it in some areas. A full season of Mitrovic, Sessegnon still there (for now- but Cavaleiro-Mitrovic-Knockaert?!)- Taylor-Crossdale has joined on a free, good depth and competition. Full season of Christie, add in Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan. Anguissa will add depth if not be a starter.

Not just one of the favourites, but the team to beat surely? With so much continuity from their 2017/18 success they can easily slot into that 4-3-3 as if it was 2017/18 again, but stronger. Bettinelli, Johansen still there. No Fredericks or Targett granted.

The inevitable slide writes itself, though. Sunderland looked like a Championship team when they were relegated from the Premier League, and they looked far weaker than the sum of their parts when they went down again. I think a lot of people expect Fulham to stumble after spunking 9 figures in one season on talent only to go right back down again.

That, and there are so many people that believe the Championship is stronger than those at the bottom of the Premier League. The fact that many people here consider that we are are up there for the playoffs this season despite some strong teams coming down says it all, really.

16 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The inevitable slide writes itself, though. Sunderland looked like a Championship team when they were relegated from the Premier League, and they looked far weaker than the sum of their parts when they went down again. I think a lot of people expect Fulham to stumble after spunking 9 figures in one season on talent only to go right back down again.

That, and there are so many people that believe the Championship is stronger than those at the bottom of the Premier League. The fact that many people here consider that we are are up there for the playoffs this season despite some strong teams coming down says it all, really.

Understand that- Fulham to me look in a lot better shape than Sunderland were though. Will look back at their 2017/18 side but it looked a mismatch, unhappy players, some aging- Grayson should at least have been able to stabilise them though. They maybe slow starters but I look at their squad, a fair bit of continuity and the fact it is stronger than the one that went up- and the fact that Parker has been preparing since his appointment as caretaker manager when a quick return looked likely for a return to Fulham's style that was so successful from late December 2017 to the playoff final.

Dunno about stronger but certainly not a lot between IMO.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sunderland-afc/startseite/verein/289?saison_id=2017

Was really nothing special tbh, looking at it! Was big and yet lacked depth, was aging in places and raw in others. Poor age profile, questionable quality, well taken as a whole as there were a number of good individuals there- I just don't see that with Fulham.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I seriously believe that if we sign Eddie Nketiah, it will make us promotion contenders in our own right.  Sod the dark horse, lets make it clear from the outset. 

Hasn’t that now been ruled out by the Arsenal Manager..?

I'd say Forest are going to be the surprise package this year, a club that's run pretty much the complete opposite to us with an owner who is probably getting around FFP by selling players to the other club he owns. 

A manager who hasn't really succeeded at any side (took Rennes to 5th after being their half a season then got the boot half a season later with a 38% win rate)

But they have so far been able to keep their best players, signed a few more from Portugal (depends whether they can handle the physicality of the championship). Finished just behind us last season so I don't know if you could class them as "dark horses" 

I’m looking at the predicted table as we go through the weeks. As it stands now I have a rough estimate as the below. Lots will change though as sure Maupay will leave Brentford and hopefully we sign a few more.  I’m in a prediction league with mates and usually manage to do okay albeit the winner never gets it anywhere near spot on!

Fulham 

Leeds

Cardiff

Stoke

West Brom 

Brentford 

Bristol City

Middlesborough 

Huddersfield

Derby

Preston 

Sheff Wed

Notts Forest

Swansea

Blackburn

Reading

QPR

Barnsley

Charlton

Birmingham

Millwall

Wigan 

Luton

Hull

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I don't think teams do underestimate us though, and haven't done for a good few seasons now. 

By making it clear, I mean making it clear from the start that we mean business (which they will do anyway from the signing of Kalas and JD). 

Bristol City aren't dark horses anymore. If you're anyone who knows anything about football, you will know that we're now one of the best (in patches) footballing sides in the league. 

The club will always say we are ambitious. That’s clear.

and yes teams take us serious. But no one thinks we will be in the top 2.

And if you go by the bookies, they think we’ll finish 8-10th. 

That means the pressures off and the pressure is on teams like Leeds.

thats good for us.

10 minutes ago, Riaz said:

The club will always say we are ambitious. That’s clear.

and yes teams take us serious. But no one thinks we will be in the top 2.

And if you go by the bookies, they think we’ll finish 8-10th. 

That means the pressures off and the pressure is on teams like Leeds.

thats good for us.

If we signed a couple more of quality to improve our first XI say Nketiah and Williams I would have us as top four pushing for top two. 

On 22/07/2019 at 10:43, Sturny said:

So who do you think it'll be? I'm not sure we qualify as we've splashed some cash which definitely hasn't gone under the radar. But there isn't always a dark horse tbf. 

Last season I thought Norwich were sorta a dark horse finishing top, don't remember many people giving their squad serious praise before that season. 

My weak guess is Swansea, even tho they finished top 10 last season.  

What do you think ??

Luton.

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Think they are both in with a shout, depends if one of them succeeds in signing Al Daniti, a winner and national hero, if so they'll romp it.

And I thought my pun was bad!? .............off to the ponder room with you  ??

A dark horse, in the sense they seem completely under the radar after last season for me is Stoke.

Looking through their squad they still have some very decent players. Their recruitment has been uninspiring from what I can see,  but really underperformed last year. If new manager can get their squad motivated they really should do better this year.

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

A dark horse, in the sense they seem completely under the radar after last season for me is Stoke.

Looking through their squad they still have some very decent players. Their recruitment has been uninspiring from what I can see,  but really underperformed last year. If new manager can get their squad motivated they really should do better this year.

Think Stoke should definitely have a better season- good individuals, still haven't really lost anyone of note since Summer 2018. Powell- good player, Gregory- useful to have. Davies and Lindsay- think they are decent, Davies especially seemed fairly sought after. Rowett definitely was not suited, as I thought but they gained quite a lot last season- should be better for a season together- whether Jones will get the best out of them a different matter though. Still have to date held onto Butland and Allen too.

Archived