IGNORED

Just wrong, young players wages!

Tipps69

Being reported that 18 year old Callum Hudson-Odoi is about to sign a new contract at Chelsea for an initial £180,000 PER WEEK!! Possibly raising to £200,000 PER WEEK once bonuses have been added!! What the hell is going on with the game? In just over a month he'll have earned £1,000,000! It's obscene!

It's long been stated by just about anyone involved in football that youngsters are being given too much too soon & it leaves them with little reason to actually push themselves, when will this madness stop?

I was about to start a thread on this and saw your title and knew what it was about, it’s absolutely madness, can’t get in the squad and now earning 180k a week. Nobody here would turn it down but it’s a sad state of affairs the sport has got itself in to.

All this while Bolton's players and staff haven't been paid a penny for over 5 months. 

One month of his salary would probably cover all of Bolton's staffs' outstanding wages!

Football's moral compass was sold at a car boot sale 20 years ago I'm afraid.

Don’t blame the players it’s a short career of possibly 10-15 years so earn what you can. 

The problem lies in the gap between the prem and football league. Look how championship wages have sky rocketed in recent years and it’s only going to end one way and that’s clubs going out of business . 

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Cancel your Sky subscription, stop buying products advertised at football and so on.  Or stop complaining about it.

Just because people like and are prepared to pay for a product doesn't mean that the people offering the product have to take the piss.

Football will never die because it the perfect game, but there is a HUGE part of me that would love it to blow up in their gready faces the lot of 'em

28 minutes ago, downendcity said:

All this while Bolton's players and staff haven't been paid a penny for over 5 months. 

One month of his salary would probably cover all of Bolton's staffs' outstanding wages!

Football's moral compass was sold at a car boot sale 20 years ago I'm afraid.

Why should what Chelsea pay their players have anything to do with Bolton?

equally, as often mentioned, why should players be paid less because someone who chooses to join the army, is paid a low wage.

17 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Cancel your Sky subscription, stop buying products advertised at football and so on.  Or stop complaining about it.

It’s not the domestic subscriber funding this in the main , its overseas rights and the money in the Far East

Never has the divide between footballers and fans been greater

Lots of average (In Pro Football Terms) pampered footballers being paid ridiculous amounts of money

Ridiculous  

With his new contract DeGea will earn about £1200 in the time it takes to get changed pre match

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just because people like and are prepared to pay for a product doesn't mean that the people offering the product have to take the piss.

Football will never die because it the perfect game, but there is a HUGE part of me that would love it to blow up in their gready faces the lot of 'em

They aren't taking the piss if millions of people are paying for it.  This is a capitalist society and the only way you get to influence it at all is with how you spend your money.

Prices will always be set as high as they can to maximise revenue.  In football the bulk of it goes to players who actually provide the entertainment - better than most industries where it goes to shareholders who don't provide anything.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s not the domestic subscriber funding this in the main , its overseas rights and the money in the Far East

Probably some truth in that but it took the domestic subscriber and consumer of advertising to get to the point where it's a global brand and the only way it's going to get brought down is if the domestic consumers stop putting money in.

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Probably some truth in that but it took the domestic subscriber and consumer of advertising to get to the point where it's a global brand and the only way it's going to get brought down is if the domestic consumers stop putting money in.

The thing is people who love football and really love watching football WILL keep on paying until they really can't find anymore money to watch and then they might pack it in.. isn't that taking piss? i think it is, but i totally get what you're saying about supply and demand. Anyway, there will be an upper limit, it can't keep rising as it has in the last few years. It might even come to some people asking the question football or food on the table? £100,000 a WEEK at 18  /19   :laugh: come on cannot be defended how ever you look at it.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

The thing is people who love football and really love watching football WILL keep on paying until they really can't find anymore money to watch and then they might pack it in.. isn't that taking piss? i think it is, but i totally get what you're saying about supply and demand. Anyway, there will be an upper limit because it might even come to some people asking football or food on the table? £100,000 a WEEK at 19   :laugh: come on

All I'm saying is the problem isn't football, it's the wider system.  The only mechanisms to change this here are stopping the cash going in or changing the system.  Neither's likely. 

Just watch it on dodgy internet streams and feel good about it :)

Obscene and disgusting. Everything that is wrong with modern football.  But not to worry, someone will come along with a smart comment to justify it about fans needing to stop subscribing to Sky and it'll fall apart.  That'll never happen so something else needs to to curb this obscene spending.

You know the old one where you used to hear non-football people saying  "But he's just kicking a ball about"

Well, when you see the way it is RAPIDLY going..  I'm sort of coming round to their way of thinking.

I mean, as annoying as the protesters were last week.. we do have climate problems, do have a political balls-up over Brexit etc etc

we do have millions and milions of people suffering in the world

and £100,000 a week as a starting wage for a boy who can "kick a ball about a bit." Sick. End of story.

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I don’t think the bubble will burst but it will shrink I think, I can see the 92 league clubs shrinking 

We could end up like most of the other European countries with an elite top division, split into two or three groups as the Prem now is. The minnows come up and go down with monotonous regularity.

A second tier with another eighteen of the current bigger clubs, although possibly including B teams.

And then split into half a dozen regional leagues, also with B teams playing in front of hundreds rather than thousands.

Even more fans sitting in their own homes to watch the top six in 90% of televised games. The end of life as we know it!

The players are not to blame, nor for that matter are their agents. Those responsible, or irresponsible depending on how you see it are the owners. It is they who allow players to be paid such sums. Its not going to change unless the owners say enough is enough and stop paying the high cost transfers and wages or the football authorities place a squad salary cap. The first wont happen because the desire for success is insatiable, and the second won't because the authorities won't kill the goose that lays the TV sponsorship egg, and because they don't have either the inclination or the balls for change. 

Those of us that are old enough can all remember a time when a players weekly wage was not hugely different from the skilled worker, for example on the car plant at Dagenham (as late as the mid 70s for most players) but those days are long gone, and no amount of righteous indignation on our part will alter the situation, even if it does us good to let off steam.

22 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Obscene and disgusting. Everything that is wrong with modern football.  But not to worry, someone will come along with a smart comment to justify it about fans needing to stop subscribing to Sky and it'll fall apart.  That'll never happen so something else needs to to curb this obscene spending.

Your options are basically to convince everyone to stop putting money in or to start a revolution.  Problem is, the capitalists own all the guns.

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Is it true though?

Don't see why it wouldn't be, as a sellable commodity he'd probably command a transfer fee of £60-80m and he's in the last year of his deal.  It's a strong negotiating position.

Archived