IGNORED

Just wrong, young players wages!

Tipps69

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

Cancel your Sky subscription, stop buying products advertised at football and so on.  Or stop complaining about it.

Fans are complicit in another way in that they demand their clubs sign this, that and the other expensive, highly paid player. Man Utd fans were all for signing Sanchez, if only because they got him ahead of Man City. Now they complain about how much he is paid.

And of course we have our share of fans who would pay £10m and a massive wage for somebody like Assombalonga, whose record doesn't justify it, because they see him as a 'big name ' or that essential thing, a 'marquee signing'.

Thankfully the club takes a more rational approach.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We could end up like most of the other European countries with an elite top division, split into two or three groups as the Prem now is. The minnows come up and go down with monotonous regularity.

A second tier with another eighteen of the current bigger clubs, although possibly including B teams.

And then split into half a dozen regional leagues, also with B teams playing in front of hundreds rather than thousands.

Even more fans sitting in their own homes to watch the top six in 90% of televised games. The end of life as we know it!

Could?

Already on its way IMO.

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bolton's situation is not just down to their last owner, it is also a consequence of them overspending when they were in the Prem and racking up massive debts. I don't recall their fans protesting at the time.

Gartside wanted to pull up the drawbridge precisely because he knew this kind of thing could happen.

Don't disagree China. Ive commented before that I read somewhere that in only one of their eleven years in the premier league did Bolton make any profit. Given that level of financial acumen it is little surprise that Garside wanted to ring fence Bolton's premier league status!

As for Bolton fans' failing to protest when Bolton were overspending while in the prem, you only have to read through this forum during any recent transfer window to see demands for the owner to spend millions in an attempt to reach the prem, let alone when we are there.  Football fans seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their club's financial management and controls if it  might compromise them achieving success.

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Couldn't the football authorities look at options to introduce salary/ spending caps regardless of the money brought in to the game? Perhaps they could distribute the money more widely across the football pyramid or grass roots football. Do they not have any control over the rules of the sport? 

There must be options to consider rather than fall back on the usual excuse (not aimed at you) that fans need to stop spending money of Sky subscriptions.

The Prem exists because the clubs decided they wanted full control over the money. The FA and ultimately even FIFA have very limited power because if they push too far the clubs will break away from them too.

The top clubs put a very limited amount back in as a PR move, trickle down doesn't really happen.  They stand atop the pyramid and don't invest in it. Who's going to make them?

I think only governments could but I very much doubt they will.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Don't disagree China. Ive commented before that I read somewhere that in only one of their eleven years in the premier league did Bolton make any profit. Given that level of financial acumen it is little surprise that Garside wanted to ring fence Bolton's premier league status!

As for Bolton fans' failing to protest when Bolton were overspending while in the prem, you only have to read through this forum during any recent transfer window to see demands for the owner to spend millions in an attempt to reach the prem, let alone when we are there.  Football fans seem to have a blind spot when it comes to their club's financial management and controls if it  might compromise them achieving success.

I think what ultimately did for Bolton or may well do for Bolton- losses so long as in PL and a willing owner sustainable, but once relegated and a big push to get straight back- once you don't go straight back up? Big trouble! £50m loss first season down and it seemed to implode from there.

Yep they made losses in PL but once Big Sam left, I reckon those losses increased in the PL not just because of lower League positions, less Cup runs but also as they were getting less value in the market- less quality for more cash spent, which again is part of a vicious cycle and certainly seemed it post Big Sam. IMO anyway. I'll have a look at their 11 seasons of PL accounts, their first couple of years down down and maybe 1 or 2 before ie promotions season and one before at some stage but it felt a bit of a shit or bust to me looking back- because £50m for a Championship club was unheard of 6, 7 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think what ultimately did for Bolton or may well do for Bolton- losses so long as in PL and a willing owner sustainable, but once relegated and a big push to get straight back- once you don't go straight back up? Big trouble! £50m loss first season down and it seemed to implode from there.

Yep they made losses in PL but once Big Sam left, I reckon those losses increased in the PL not just because of lower League positions, less Cup runs but also as they were getting less value in the market- less quality for more cash spent, which again is part of a vicious cycle and certainly seemed it post Big Sam. IMO anyway.

Were it not for gaining promotion, how would Villa have fared in the next few seasons?

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I absolutely agree, hence my other post saying that fans are complicit in these situations, some of ours included. The FFP is an excuse, Steve has no ambition tendency!

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Were it not for gaining promotion, how would Villa have fared in the next few seasons?

FFP wise I think screwed.

Financially? Depends on the owners. Same would have gone for Wolves but the saleable assets and the lower losses to a point in run up would have brought time- problem for them certainly is I couldn't have seen Fosun, Mendes and Nuno sticking around for a couple of to a few years rebuilding, consolidating- another year maybe. Beyond that? Doubtful!

Just now, chinapig said:

I absolutely agree, hence my other post saying that fans are complicit in these situations, some of ours included. The FFP is an excuse, Steve has no ambition tendency!

There are two things that Bolton's situation makes me think.

1. Thank goodness we have an owner with the foresight and determination to structure the club financially so as to make it sustainable and avoid similar problems, and the wealth and commitment to fund the infrastructure improvements which are an essential part of that long term planning.

2. Seeing Bolton's plight, despite the ffp rules that have been in place for some time, how the **** did the EFL allow clubs to walk all over them in the last few months? 

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

There are two things that Bolton's situation makes me think.

1. Thank goodness we have an owner with the foresight and determination to structure the club financially so as to make it sustainable and avoid similar problems, and the wealth and commitment to fund the infrastructure improvements which are an essential part of that long term planning.

2. Seeing Bolton's plight, despite the ffp rules that have been in place for some time, how the **** did the EFL allow clubs to walk all over them in the last few months? 

The answer to 2. lies somewhere between incompetence and corruption I think!

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Similarly, you don't watch any football or sport on a satellite channel then?

I haven't got so much of an issue with it for players that have proven themselves & done it regularly at the top level but how long have we heard pundits & ex-pros saying that the youngsters don't have any reason to have any desire because they're already driving around in their Bentley's & already owning their multimillion pound houses etc.

In a way, look at the situation that Gareth Bale is in at Real Madrid, earning over half a million a week but no longer deemed as required but with 3 years on his contract, why should he leave? He doesn't have to 'earn' his money ever again, he's looking at £78m for just turning up to training!

As for Odoi, he's played a blinder (or his agent has), Chelsea can't waste millions in the transfer market so they have money sat around doing nothing so let's give it someone who is only just legally allowed to bet, drink & vote, what can possibly go wrong with an 18 year old earning £1m in a month?

Look at the blame that Steven Caulker put on having too much money & too much time on his well documented troubles at such a young age! And as if £180,00 per week isn't enough for this teenager, let's give him some added bonuses as well because he needs that extra money!

And those that blame Sky subscriptions, do you guy's have any vices? Drink, smoke, gamble? I spend my money on enabling me to watch sport that I have grown up playing & watching since I was a kid, I'm now in a physical position where I'm unable to partake in these sports & I'm likely to struggle to watch my team live for every game because of the physical pain I will be in, despite me having a season ticket! And for the record, I don't smoke or very rarely drink alcohol so should I blame everyone who drinks & / or smokes to be held accountable for the drain that these vices cause on our NHS? Of course not!

Your initial question... No, not really. 

I don’t have sky, (very) rarely watch a premiership game in the pub, or at all. I might catch up on MOTD until I fall asleep.....

It bores me, generally, because it doesn’t involve City. 

Neither do I moan about players’ wages. If the money is there, they deserve it, imo. It’s those who feed the monster who are to blame for what it hands out. 

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Your initial question... No, not really. 

I don’t have sky, (very) rarely watch a premiership game in the pub, or at all. I might catch up on MOTD until I fall asleep.....

It bores me, generally, because it doesn’t involve City. 

Neither do I moan about players’ wages. If the money is there, they deserve it, imo. It’s those who feed the monster who are to blame for what it hands out. 

The same sky / premiership money that has seen us receive £30 million in 12 months for Bryan , Reid , Kelly ?

whilst on your moral high ground ,might be worth considering that mine , yours and others financial support of the Club In way of tickets amounts to a only a fraction of the budget and wouldn’t keep the Club going for very long 

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

This - Chelsea can pay him 200k a week and still make a decent profit on him. 

I must be the only one who doesn’t give a shit how much these players are paid, sky pay 10m per game so why shouldn’t the players earn a fortune?

When your at the top or your profession in the entertainment business you get big bucks, no different to movie stars or bands 

I'd hardly say he's at the top of his profession though. As Roy Keane might say, the boy's achieved nothing yet

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don’t blame the players it’s a short career of possibly 10-15 years so earn what you can. 

The problem lies in the gap between the prem and football league. Look how championship wages have sky rocketed in recent years and it’s only going to end one way and that’s clubs going out of business . 

But it's not like somebody cuts off their legs when they get to 35 though is it, they are still capable of working at something else, not anywhere near as lucrative i admit, it's what the vast majority of us do.

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The same sky / premiership money that has seen us receive £30 million in 12 months for Bryan , Reid , Kelly ?

whilst on your moral high ground ,might be worth considering that mine , yours and others financial support of the Club In way of tickets amounts to a only a fraction of the budget and wouldn’t keep the Club going for very long 

I agree with your point, but that’s immaterial. Without the effects of sky money, we wouldn’t need £30million for those players, just to buy a replacement. 

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'd hardly say he's at the top of his profession though. As Roy Keane might say, the boy's achieved nothing yet

He plays for Chelsea in the Premier league, there are not many bigger clubs in Europe currently - he may not have won any silverware yet but that’s irrelevant 

In Australian Rules Football all clubs have to work within a salary cap, it seems to work reasonably well with players earning good money although nothing like we're talking about here. I fear its too late to bring that in now & don't know what the answer is.

Here's a link for anyone that may be interested: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_salary_cap

7 hours ago, pillred said:

But it's not like somebody cuts off their legs when they get to 35 though is it, they are still capable of working at something else, not anywhere near as lucrative i admit, it's what the vast majority of us do.

True , but why would you if you didn’t have to. If someone offered to quadruple your wages , would you say oh no thanks it’s immoral ? Of course not , you’d snatch their hands off . 

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

He plays for Chelsea in the Premier league, there are not many bigger clubs in Europe currently - he may not have won any silverware yet but that’s irrelevant 

Sorry but nothing you say will convince me that an 18-year-old who has played just TEN league games for Chelsea's first team warrants £180,000 a week. It's absolutely absurd.

I'm pretty sure that no movie or pop stars were getting that kind of coin until they became world-famous stars.

14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Sorry but nothing you say will convince me that an 18-year-old who has played just TEN league games for Chelsea's first team warrants £180,000 a week. It's absolutely absurd.

I'm pretty sure that no movie or pop stars were getting that kind of coin until they became world-famous stars.

You said he hasn’t achieved anything yet which is clearly not true. 

Seems like it’s £100k per week not £180k.

Child actors can get paid up to £300k to film a one hour episode of a TV show.  Don’t see anyone moaning about that. 

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You said he hasn’t achieved anything yet which is clearly not true. 

Seems like it’s £100k per week not £180k.

Child actors can get paid up to £300k to film a one hour episode of a TV show.  Don’t see anyone moaning about that. 

He hasn't. What's he achieved? OK he's in Chelsea's first team, but he's played ten games. 

Personally I think the child actor thing is pretty sick too. 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He hasn't. What's he achieved? OK he's in Chelsea's first team, but he's played ten games. 

Personally I think the child actor thing is pretty sick too. 

He’s played for England at 18. Massive achievement.  It’s not up to anyone to decide how much he is worth. Market forces dictate that.

You could pick any occupation and make a case for someone being overpaid or underpaid. Does a banker deserve 6 figure salaries? Does a train driver deserve £40k per year? Does a nurse deserve £23k per year? 

Child actors get paid their worth, as they should. They shouldn’t be underpaid and exploited surely. 

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He’s played for England at 18. Massive achievement.  It’s not up to anyone to decide how much he is worth. Market forces dictate that.

You could pick any occupation and make a case for someone being overpaid or underpaid. Does a banker deserve 6 figure salaries? Does a train driver deserve £40k per year? Does a nurse deserve £23k per year? 

Child actors get paid their worth, as they should. They shouldn’t be underpaid and exploited surely. 

And football fans have to foot the bill. 

Archived