IGNORED

Just wrong, young players wages!

Tipps69

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Not at all. The vast majority of money comes from TV. 

This recent list of Chelsea ticket prices would suggest that fans pay through the nose to help pay for the likes of Mr Hudson-Odoi's salary.

And besides, it's the fans who pay for the TV too!

Screen shot 2019-07-24 at 10.57.13.png

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

TV is optional though!  You don’t HAVE to pay for it. 

I personally don't (aside from the occasional day pass), for the simple reason that it's too expensive. You'd like to think that football fans will eventually see sense and realise that they're bankrupting themselves for the privilege of seeing second-rate players kicking a football for 90 minutes. Unlikely though.  

19 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I personally don't (aside from the occasional day pass), for the simple reason that it's too expensive. You'd like to think that football fans will eventually see sense and realise that they're bankrupting themselves for the privilege of seeing second-rate players kicking a football for 90 minutes. Unlikely though.  

Second rate players ? 

I think it’s us on a matchday who pay to watch second rate players

Many people spend more on a day watching us  on a single match ( in some very drab fare last season ) than a months subscription 

You also forget that people are paying to watch the The very best cricket of numerous formats  , Rugby , Darts , UFC , Golf .....and just about any other sport you can imagine , covered and presented in a way light years from terrestrial channels

Other than that what are people paying for ? 

13 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Retire at 35? Lets face it a normal job they will never do. But putting something back into society with the skills they have would be great.

This is a great point. It would be fantastic to see ex players give something back by taking on small struggling teams that have no hope of winning anything.

Like Ole Solskjaer has.

4 hours ago, bpexile said:

In Australian Rules Football all clubs have to work within a salary cap, it seems to work reasonably well with players earning good money although nothing like we're talking about here. 

Stupid Aussies! Why dont they simply move to European or British Aussie Rules teams where there is no salary cap??? Der!

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Second rate players ? 

I think it’s us on a matchday who pay to watch second rate players

Many people spend more on a day watching us  on a single match ( in some very drab fare last season ) than a months subscription 

You also forget that people are paying to watch the The very best cricket of numerous formats  , Rugby , Darts , UFC , Golf .....and just about any other sport you can imagine , covered and presented in a way light years from terrestrial channels

Other than that what are people paying for ? 

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was largely referring to matchday prices, not the price of a TV subscription.

55 minutes ago, RedDave said:

TV is optional though!  You don’t HAVE to pay for it. 

Since the formation of the premier league and the influx of Sky money to the game, it really has become a chicken and egg situation.

Increased tV money has led to agents demanding that their player clients are given their "share"  so as TV money increases, so do player wages and so do ticket prices.

The "working man", whose game this used to be, is, in effect, priced out of the game with these ticket prices. Even if he didn't want to support Sky, whose money has led to this situation, a Sky subsciprion might be the only financially viable way he can watch his team play "live".

44 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

All we have to do to stop the madness is to cancel our Sky and BT Sport subscriptions!!!

But which one of us will do that?

Never had or needed one. I'm no neutral sports fan needing to see a game where I don't care who wins. 

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Sorry but nothing you say will convince me that an 18-year-old who has played just TEN league games for Chelsea's first team warrants £180,000 a week. It's absolutely absurd.

I'm pretty sure that no movie or pop stars were getting that kind of coin until they became world-famous stars.

He’s an assest who is currently worth 60m or so after 10 games, he could ‘potentially’ be worth double that so the wages are worth it from a Chelsea point of view 

46 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Since the formation of the premier league and the influx of Sky money to the game, it really has become a chicken and egg situation.

Increased tV money has led to agents demanding that their player clients are given their "share"  so as TV money increases, so do player wages and so do ticket prices.

The "working man", whose game this used to be, is, in effect, priced out of the game with these ticket prices. Even if he didn't want to support Sky, whose money has led to this situation, a Sky subsciprion might be the only financially viable way he can watch his team play "live".

I know a lot of ‘working men’ and they go to watch their team live.  

My best mate earns £18k per year and has a season ticket.  

1 minute ago, TBW said:

Football, basketball, american football.

What I want isn't on Sky. 

Your statement

’ I'm no neutral sports fan needing to see a game where I don't care who wins ‘

So you only watch sport when you are supporting a team, so a supporter of sides but not of the sport

17 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But they show a hell of a lot of NBA & NFL. And depending on well we’re doing, we get a fair bit of coverage.

Not my team. Better off looking into the direct NBA and NFL subscription services.

I hate it when people say being a footballer is a short career. Why should they get to retire 30 years before everyone else? If they cant retire at 35 or whatever on their money then get another job like every other person in this country. Not being funny but if you cant retire at that age being on just 50k a week then you're pretty special. 

The 'give it to the nurses' argument is so bloody boring. Premier League players contributed £1.1bn to the UK economy through employment taxes in the 16/17 season and I'd imagine it was even more significant for the season just gone. In 2018/19, the health budget in the UK was £115bn meaning that the Premier League players contributed to just under 1% of the Premier League budget, which is pretty staggering when you consider there were just under 1,500 players registered to the 20 clubs. 

Like it or not, it's all market driven and their salary is what people are willing to pay for them on the open market. They're talented and paid what they are because they're considered to be/have the potential to be the most talented people in their field. I don't deny it's a staggering amount of money for a youngster but there is a bit of method to the madness. 

Archived