IGNORED

STFC v BCFC

swindon fan

I forgot Bob Taylor!

Yes financially Stable with no big time Charlie's the last one being Lawrence Vigouroux the goalkeeper who left before the end of last season.

It looks like Power and the STFC trust are buying the ground from the council which can only be a,good thing as they've never been helpful in giving planning permission for a new ground even when we had the backers to finance. 

I agree with one of your fellow posters that parts of the ground are run down and old school but by not owning the ground themclub have been limited to what they could do.

In all honesty there is a huge catchment here to get much bigger crowds but many lost interest over recent years but give us a new or redeveloped stadium and we could be on par with what Reading achieved since leaving Elm Park

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I forgot Bob Taylor!

Yes financially Stable with no big time Charlie's the last one being Lawrence Vigouroux the goalkeeper who left before the end of last season.

It looks like Power and the STFC trust are buying the ground from the council which can only be a,good thing as they've never been helpful in giving planning permission for a new ground even when we had the backers to finance. 

I agree with one of your fellow posters that parts of the ground are run down and old school but by not owning the ground themclub have been limited to what they could do.

In all honesty there is a huge catchment here to get much bigger crowds but many lost interest over recent years but give us a new or redeveloped stadium and we could be on par with what Reading achieved since leaving Elm Park

That’s got to be a massively positive thing 

Fair size plot ? too should you wish to develop

Tbf Other than that Brando / Thompson antics I’ve never had any great issues with Swindon and some of our matches in late 80’s early 90s were right ole tussles and decent 

Kenny Stroud did both clubs ok too 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s got to be a massively positive thing 

Fair size plot ? too should you wish to develop

Tbf Other than that Brando / Thompson antics I’ve never had any great issues with Swindon and some of our matches in late 80’s early 90s were right ole tussles and decent 

Kenny Stroud did both clubs ok too 

Same here and really miss them as they were always a decent derby without the intensity of say you playing Cardiff or us Oxford.

I forgot about Kenny Stroud and yes he was a cracking player for both teams as was Matty Haywood 

Big plot of land around the County ground but the cricket pitch gets in the way as the stand is protected so it's tricky on whether they could find a new home to locate to as well as preserving the history 

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Same here and really miss them as they were always a decent derby without the intensity of say you playing Cardiff or us Oxford.

I forgot about Kenny Stroud and yes he was a cracking player for both teams as was Matty Haywood 

FA Cup tie 1990 was a good tie - That was the Duncan Shearer (Lou Macari Manager ? ) Swindon side ? Wasn’t it ?

Whether my memory is skewed but you seemed to be come out on top Quite a bit in  90s

was thinking about others who’ve played both - quite a lot , unsurprisingly

Howard Pritchard

Matt Hewlett

and we sold Wayne Allison to you IIRC

Thought Phil Brown might have done better for you than he did 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

FA Cup tie 1990 was a good tie - That was the Duncan Shearer (Lou Macari Manager ? ) Swindon side ? Wasn’t it ?

Whether my memory is skewed but you seemed to be come out on top Quite a bit in  90s

Howard Pritchard

Matt Hewlett

How could I forget the chief! Big, strong, slow but knew where the goal was. 

I would have to check dates as Duncan Shearer was poached by Daglish at Blackburn in 1989 and that' was the start of the Ardilles era. 

I can remember Swindon scoring 4 at Ashton Gate when Hoddle was manager probably 92/93 and also when Rory Fallon scored a wonder overhead kick on a Friday night game when I think Danny Wilson was in charge for you 

How could I forget the chief! Big, strong, slow but knew where the goal was. 

I would have to check dates as Duncan Shearer was poached by Daglish at Blackburn in 1989 and that' was the start of the Ardilles era. 

I can remember Swindon scoring 4 at Ashton Gate when Hoddle was manager probably 92/93 and also when Rory Fallon scored a wonder overhead kick on a Friday night game when I think Danny Wilson was in charge for you 

I remember that game !

Hazard , White x 2 , Shearer

(I couldn’t remember the  scorers ! - just had a look - Shearer scored against us in 92 as well so must have gone to Blackburn 93 ish)

You're right Shearer left in 92 and I was getting him mixed up with Jimmy Quinn. 

We had a cracking team that season and Hoddle even at 36 was the best I've ever seen to this day 

I agree 

If ever one player literally ran a game and transformed a side 

Also the along with Venabkes , best and most knowledgable English Coach,  IMHO during my years

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I remember that game !

Hazard , White x 2 , Shearer

(I couldn’t remember the  scorers ! - just had a look - Shearer scored against us in 92 as well so must have gone to Blackburn 93 ish)

Is that Steve White, the ex-Gas player?

Shows how old I am that I can remember when the Gas had the occasional good player!

Hoddle was superb and England should have one the World Cup with him playing at his peak and venables certainly has the charm to go with his knowledge 

Phil Brown was a strange one as we all thought he would turn the club around but he struggled to get the players in that he wanted and was living off past history to a degree and probably wasn't suited to league 2 standard of football

Richie wellens is young and passionate but like every other season it starts full optimism with no guarantees. What I would say Tim Sherwoods appointment really messed things up and Luke Williams was,well and truly stitched up.

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Hoddle was superb and England should have one the World Cup with him playing at his peak and venables certainly has the charm to go with his knowledge 

Phil Brown was a strange one as we all thought he would turn the club around but he struggled to get the players in that he wanted and was living off past history to a degree and probably wasn't suited to league 2 standard of football

Richie wellens is young and passionate but like every other season it starts full optimism with no guarantees. What I would say Tim Sherwoods appointment really messed things up and Luke Williams was,well and truly stitched up.

I think we would have done something with Hoddle managing the National side even more than as a player

When it comes to the best player managers,  Hoddle has to be up there - literally took you to another level

Good Luck for the season , Swindon shouldn’t be a L2 club , and if you got promoted you could smash the Sags in our behalf  :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Cheers Bob and good luck in getting to the premiership this season 

I’ll say it quietly , but not too bothered tbh - a overhyped circus full of cash greedy players

The Championship has a fixture list that in the main appeals far more

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Howard Pritchard

Matt Hewlett

Anyone remember Bob Taylor clearing the ball from his own penalty area and Juninho Bent running the length of the field to score for a 1-0 at the County Ground. May have been the season after we got promotion.  September 1990?

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone remember Bob Taylor clearing the ball from his own penalty area and Juninho Bent running the length of the field to score for a 1-0 at the County Ground. May have been the season after we got promotion.  September 1990?

Certainly do

One of Juniors finest moments 

Wasn’t that a Sunday game 

25 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

it was and strangely they gave us the Town End that day.

I can remember the game and I think they gave the Townend to visiting supporters for one season only as the players complained they were too noisy and deemed as an advantage to the away team when packed 

53 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

And they gave us the town end...... 

Probably on the basis we ‘took it’ on a previous season fixture.

it was the fixture when, somewhat bizarrely, about 30 Millwall turned up as we’d be singing the week prior at our home match against them that we were off to Swindon. They thought it be a good day out as well!!

Ah the good old days. 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Mickey hazards a cabbie in london now, was on the radio not so long ago.

When we had mark robins playing a night match i swear we had half the ground.

On the radio it said such and such is running down the wing, and so are the police!

was that the 3-0 game to us?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/swindon-town-v-bristol-city-15-february-1995-177676/

Archived