IGNORED

STFC v BCFC

swindon fan

19 hours ago, swindon fan said:

No offence taken at all. Too old for that!

Are you sure you spelt bankers correctly?

I’m probably in a minority of 1 here amongst my fellow fans, but I wanted Swindon to win the playoffs THAT season - so the local derbies would continue. 

I actually live in Old Town and it would have been nice to be able to walk to a championship game. 

That Sheffield United semifinal was really entertaining. 

Sheffield United - now there’s an example of how fortunes can change.....

i’ve played at Supermarine - nice pitch!

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

When it comes to the best player managers,  Hoddle has to be up there - literally took you to another level

Good Luck for the season , Swindon shouldn’t be a L2 club , and if you got promoted you could smash the Sags in our behalf  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’m probably in a minority of 1 here amongst my fellow fans, but I wanted Swindon to win the playoffs THAT season - so the local derbies would continue. 

I actually live in Old Town and it would have been nice to be able to walk to a championship game. 

Cheers and I also love playing City and no we can never be as big as you or claim to be massive like your Bristol rivals but when we do well in the league the County ground can be very atmospheric especially when there's a decent away following. Living in Old Town you're probably aware how big the Town is with the Northern Expansion bringing in thousands of new families moving here as the house prices are much cheaper than neighbouring counties so the future fanbase potential is massive if we can get a new or redeveloped ground to attract them.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Why do the two Italian restaurants use shop bought pizza bases for their pizzas?  Awful pizzas!!

Thanks Shaun Taylor for an interesting thread that yet agsin has morphed! 

I wasn't aware of how much land was around the CG, let alone a cricket pitch, until you mentioned it. Here's a link for those interested.. 

https://earth.app.goo.gl/YThqVj

You'll notice that the County Ground's pitch was waiting to be re-turfed. However, the pitch markings were already on the earth, unless that was your actual playing surface!

Talking of Kenney Stroud, he was tasked to bring your yellow away kit to AG for our midweek away game at Mansfield. We wore your kit that night. I was there!

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks Shaun Taylor for an interesting thread that yet agsin has morphed! 

I wasn't aware of how much land was around the CG, let alone a cricket pitch, until you mentioned it. Here's a link for those interested.. 

https://earth.app.goo.gl/YThqVj

You'll notice that the County Ground's pitch was waiting to be re-turfed. However, the pitch markings were already on the earth, unless that was your actual playing surface!

Talking of Kenney Stroud, he was tasked to bring your yellow away kit to AG for our midweek away game at Mansfield. We wore your kit that night. I was there!

It's actually the world's only naturally occurring football pitch, hence why they built the stadium there.

1 hour ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

I remember going there back in the day when we won 1-0, Peter Spiring with the only goal, funnily enough that day we took the Town End before they had a chance to give it to us ?

...back in the days of red 'postcoded' vests, was a very sunny October day too. 

Train from Lawrence Hill to Swindon, packed in like sardines, great atmosphere..

(what was it Mary Hopkins said ?... Oh yeah, I remember, so true my friends, so true!)    

(the Gas lost at home to that day Villa btw)

22 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

It's actually the world's only naturally occurring football pitch, hence why they built the stadium there.

I've looked at many Football Forums over the years and so far haven't come across a better one for intellect, Mickey taking (the Gas) knowledge and the presentation. It also helps with you being local so often STFC will get a mention which is always a good read even if it's negative / humorous but never any offence taken 

Great Google earth shot of the County ground and the main obstacle will be the cricket stand at the top of the photo as it's listed building and one of the original redeployment plans was turn the ground around 90 degrees as believe it or not we can't put a roof on the Stratton bank because it will block out daylight to the houses behind

As for the pitch it's ranked as one of the best in all leagues but then most pictures are of amgreat standard unless of course you play in North Bristol!

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I've looked at many Football Forums over the years and so far haven't come across a better one for intellect, Mickey taking (the Gas) knowledge and the presentation. It also helps with you being local so often STFC will get a mention which is always a good read even if it's negative / humorous but never any offence taken 

Great Google earth shot of the County ground and the main obstacle will be the cricket stand at the top of the photo as it's listed building and one of the original redeployment plans was turn the ground around 90 degrees as believe it or not we can't put a roof on the Stratton bank because it will block out daylight to the houses behind

As for the pitch it's ranked as one of the best in all leagues but then most pictures are of amgreat standard unless of course you play in North Bristol!

Hopefully if you xpcan acquire the ground  -

Surely scope for redeveloping the stadium , or maybe even a new build on the same site , with commercial use of the space / land  ?

Hotels , shops etc etc either  selling the land or using it as a income stream ?

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Surprised you’ve not been into us for loans @Shaun Taylor

Cheltenham , FGR, Newport , Walsall all pinching the young ones coming through 

40 mins along M4 , would probably suit both clubs

Yes I'm surprised too espevially with Luke Williams there on the coaching staff but then again you can't blame him for no the wanting to help Mr Power! We're desperate for another centre forward at the moment so if you know of any as the season is nearly.upon us and it looking like Swindon are putting in a bid for Bennett as his loan period from the Gas was quite successful last season 

Just now, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes I'm surprised too espevially with Luke Williams there on the coaching staff but then again you can't blame him for no the wanting to help Mr Power! We're desperate for another centre forward at the moment so if you know of any as the season is nearly.upon us and it looking like Swindon are putting in a bid for Bennett as his loan period from the Gas was quite successful last season 

Maybe you just want to develop your own which isn’t always the worst policy

As for Centre forwards , Mclousky would have been a good pinch for you , and young Janneh would definitely look to be ready for a tilt in the league 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hopefully if you xpcan acquire the ground  -

Surely scope for redeveloping the stadium , or maybe even a new build on the same site , with commercial use of the space / land  ?

Hotels , shops etc etc either  selling the land or using it as a income stream ?

Moving the cricket ground is key then the stadium could be moved back/ turned around 90 degrees etc. Another one of Powers plans was to build a hotel in the car park towards the magic roundabout and as far as I'm aware the land has to be used for recreation purposes so can't be sold on to a developer 

Just now, Shaun Taylor said:

Moving the cricket ground is key then the stadium could be moved back/ turned around 90 degrees etc. Another one of Powers plans was to build a hotel in the car park towards the magic roundabout and as far as I'm aware the land has to be used for recreation purposes so can't be sold on to a developer 

A council stipulation if they sell you the ground / site  I guess ?

11 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

...back in the days of red 'postcoded' vests, was a very sunny October day too. 

Train from Lawrence Hill to Swindon, packed in like sardines, great atmosphere..

(what was it Mary Hopkins said ?... Oh yeah, I remember, so true my friends, so true!)    

(the Gas lost at home to that day Villa btw)

Yer tiz...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19720110  

read all about it!! 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why do the two Italian restaurants use shop bought pizza bases for their pizzas?  Awful pizzas!!

I must admit I don’t eat pizza when I go for an Italian meal - I tend to go for a fillet steak. I quite like the Italian restaurants around Old Town; Fabios, Il Capricorno, Carbonara, Marios - I’ve had some fine food there!

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Wow there's some great old names there from both sides and and I love that website for old footage and general information/facts ans I'm guessing BCFC has the equivalent 

John Gary Emmanuel is that the same guy who played for us in the early 80's and we knew him as Gary?

8 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I noticed you have a nice rolex clock at the county ground.

Do any other clubs sport a rolex shaun?

Funny you mention the Rolex as it's just been fixed and been there for many years and I'm not aware of any others. I'm surprised Power hasn't sold it!

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I must admit I don’t eat pizza when I go for an Italian meal - I tend to go for a fillet steak. I quite like the Italian restaurants around Old Town; Fabios, Il Capricorno, Carbonara, Marios - I’ve had some fine food there!

It was Fábios and Leonardos I think.

27 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Wow there's some great old names there from both sides and and I love that website for old footage and general information/facts ans I'm guessing BCFC has the equivalent 

**John Gary Emmanuel is that the same guy who played for us in the early 80's and we knew him as Gary?

** dont know but I think your Emmanuel was more likely 'Nurse Glady's'  

?

Re: The website, very impressed, I'm not aware that we have anything similar... (I'm probably wrong) but I'd love to see one.  The format of yours is first class.

Here’s a faintly interesting story of how I ended up supporting Swindon.

1968 it twer, and I was a Chippenham boy. Me and a few mates decided to go to our first live football game.

Swindon v Bristol Rovers and there we were living half way between both Bristol and Swindon and, as yet, no affiliation.

As no doubt some of you older members remember fans used to turn up early to get in, so we we’re hanging around the ground not knowing where to go or who to support.

There was a fairly small queue forming outside The Town End and there was a fella wearing a large Swindon rosette (remember them!).

A couple of Rovers fans walked up to him taking the piss, ripped off his rosette and tore it to bits. The fella just stood there and watched them do it. When they finished and started laughing,the fella swiftly laid them both out sparko.

That was it - I was a Swindon supporter!

Archived