IGNORED

STFC v BCFC

swindon fan

2 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

Here’s a faintly interesting story of how I ended up supporting Swindon.

1968 it twer, and I was a Chippenham boy. Me and a few mates decided to go to our first live football game.

Swindon v Bristol Rovers and there we were living half way between both Bristol and Swindon and, as yet, no affiliation.

As no doubt some of you older members remember fans used to turn up early to get in, so we we’re hanging around the ground not knowing where to go or who to support.

There was a fairly small queue forming outside The Town End and there was a fella wearing a large Swindon rosette (remember them!).

A couple of Rovers fans walked up to him taking the piss, ripped off his rosette and tore it to bits. The fella just stood there and watched them do it. When they finished and started laughing,the fella swiftly laid them both out sparko.

That was it - I was a Swindon supporter!

Blimey , that’s frightening ,

Close shave , imagine how it could have worked out !!

Good to see you still on here btw

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Surprised about Fabios - but as I said, I never have pizza. 

Leonardo’s has gone. That was an upstairs place in Regents Circus. It wasn’t there long and I never ate there. 

Ah, maybe i’m Wrong, what’s the one on the other side of the road to Goddard’s?

2 hours ago, swindon fan said:

Here’s a faintly interesting story of how I ended up supporting Swindon.

A couple of Rovers fans walked up to him taking the piss, ripped off his rosette and tore it to bits. The fella just stood there and watched them do it. When they finished and started laughing,the fella swiftly laid them both out sparko.

That was it - I was a Swindon supporter!

Marvellous story with a great punchline! :clapping:

13 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Oh that’s Il Capricorno. One of the ones I like (but never have pizza though). It’s just changed hands actually and Mrs R&W and I were there last week with some of her work colleagues - including the new owner’s cousin. 

Right, next time, i’m Ordering the pasta....or steak (depends who’s paying).

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

but then again you can't blame him for no the wanting to help Mr Power!

A good friend of mine is a steward at the County Ground on matchdays. 

I did wonder how a side that looked so exciting against Sheff U could be so poor against Preston in the final. My friend told me (and he’s not the sort to lie) that immediately after the semifinal win, Power went into the dressing room celebrations and said; “congratulations for getting to the final boys. Well done. Now, if you win the final and get to the Championship, the majority of you will never kick a ball there, because you’re not good enough ......” then turned and left them in silence.

No idea if it’s true, but my friend isn’t the sort to lie about things like that - and it would explain the indifferent performance at Wembley.  What a chairman!!!! Thank god we have Lansdown!

Shame, because Preston beat us all the time - we could have done with them being in a different division!!!

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Marvellous story with a great punchline! :clapping:

So true

Made me laugh and reminded me of our League Cup Semi at Forest 

We had started bringing along to Football a lad who I will call ‘Jack’ literally was a man mountain (Remember  @GasDestroyer ?)

He was a labourer and used to swing pallets of bricks around like blocks of balsam wood was about 6’4 and 4’ wide

He was , seriously , the original Brick S**********

Belying his size he  was a quiet and very placid and nice bloke 

As we were approaching the City Ground  we crossed by a petrol station forecourt , in which we’re gathered some Forest ‘Youf’ 

I can still see now , with the same sense of surprise as one of said ‘Youf’ strutted forwards with menace and from a distance of only 4 or five feet shouted , at ‘Jack’  , and us City fans generally

‘Who the **** are you ‘

No one reacted , and was about to laugh when he stepped forward and spat in Jacks face !

I can remember thinking in those split seconds ‘Oh dear , what the **** are you doing’  as Jack took a stride forward and punched the ‘Youf’ so hard he went backwards across the floor of the service station at about 40mph like something out of a cartoon

Whether he ever woke up I don’t honestly know , I just recall the rest of the Forest Youf looking a bit shocked as the big man looked at me , shrugged and simply kept on walking !

?

20 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I did wonder how a side that looked so exciting against Sheff U could be so poor against Preston in the final. My friend told me (and he’s not the sort to lie) that immediately after the semifinal win, Power went into the dressing room celebrations and said; “congratulations for getting to the final boys. Well done. Now, if you win the final and get to the Championship, the majority of you will never kick a ball there, because you’re not good enough ......” then turned and left them in silence.

No idea if it’s true, but my friend isn’t the sort to lie about things like that - and it would explain the indifferent performance at Wembley.  What a chairman!!!! Thank god we have Lansdown!

Shame, because Preston beat us all the time - we could have done with them being in a different division!!!

Nothing would surprise me regarding Power as Luke Williams found out. He brought his best mate Tim Sherwood in when Williams was in charge in a director of football capacity but then started meddling by taking training and selecting the team and when players were signed Williams wasn't even told who he would be getting and what positions they played in.

Powers claim was to get Swindon in the championship within five years but all he did was take us to outburst lowest position since the early 80's and as much as we want him out there are no buyers and in comparison to Bolton, Bury & Coventry we're now a stable club with optimism for the coming season 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So true

Made me laugh and reminded me of our League Cup Semi at Forest 

We had started bringing along to Football a lad who I will call ‘Jack’ literally was a man mountain (Remember  @GasDestroyer ?)

He was a labourer and used to swing pallets of bricks around like blocks of balsam wood was about 6’4 and 4’ wide

He was , seriously , the original Brick S**********

Belying his size he  was a quiet and very placid and nice bloke 

As we were approaching the City Ground  we crossed by a petrol station forecourt , in which we’re gathered some Forest ‘Youf’ 

I can still see now , with the same sense of surprise as one of said ‘Youf’ strutted forwards with menace and from a distance of only 4 or five feet shouted , at ‘Jack’  , and us City fans generally

‘Who the **** are you ‘

No one reacted , and was about to laugh when he stepped forward and spat in Jacks face !

I can remember thinking in those split seconds ‘Oh dear , what the **** are you doing’  as Jack took a stride forward and punched the ‘Youf’ so hard he went backwards across the floor of the service station at about 40mph like something out of a cartoon

Whether he ever woke up I don’t honestly know , I just recall the rest of the Forest Youf looking a bit shocked as the big man looked at me , shrugged and simply kept on walking !

?

One of my favourite stories from my Granddad. Came over in the 50s from Ireland to work on the railways so a lot of his colleagues were 1st generation Caribbean immigrants. One of his mates was similarly sized to your mate Jack, and after a decade on the railways was built like a large fridge, but also a very calm and nice bloke.

On a commuter train on the way back from a job he was set upon by a group of 4 national front, who clearly didn't realise he was still in his steelies. After showing them the... er... error of their ways, apparently the conductor who knew him left them on the train before kicking them off at the last stop in the middle of nowhere.

Don't condone violence but won't shed a tear when some get what's coming to them!!

(I realise this has about as much to do with football as the pizza talk, but this story reminded me!)

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Don't believe this for one second. Promotion bonus, a move away with a better contract and signing on bonus.. at worst a year in the Championship "never playing" picking up a wage.... OR purposely don't go up late,  get no bonuses, stuck with a owner that you hate or at best a move away to soother L1 club 

20 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

FA Cup tie 1990 was a good tie - That was the Duncan Shearer (Lou Macari Manager ? ) Swindon side ? Wasn’t it ?

Whether my memory is skewed but you seemed to be come out on top Quite a bit in  90s

was thinking about others who’ve played both - quite a lot , unsurprisingly

Howard Pritchard

Matt Hewlett

and we sold Wayne Allison to you IIRC

Thought Phil Brown might have done better for you than he did 

Was this the game Bob I'fso I forgot how good we used to be and not posting to wind anyone up

12 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Was this the game Bob I'fso I forgot how good we used to be and not posting to wind anyone up

That’s it ST - 

We were flying but you had a very good side - I can remember thinking we’d do well to get past you 

Our reward was Chelsea at home in next round 

4 hours ago, Unan said:

Don't believe this for one second. Promotion bonus, a move away with a better contract and signing on bonus.. at worst a year in the Championship "never playing" picking up a wage.... OR purposely don't go up late,  get no bonuses, stuck with a owner that you hate or at best a move away to soother L1 club 

Well that’s what he said. Believe it or not - but Swindon didn’t turn up for that final and almost all their squad were purged. 

Archived