IGNORED

STFC v BCFC

swindon fan

Did any of you swindon fans go to the game at ours, last game of the season about 88?

Think you were allready up or in the play offs and we needed 3 points.

I recall there was about 3000 on the pitch and more outside waiting.

That was one of the most nasty atmospheres i saw at the gate.

Must have took ages to clear the crowd that day.

Trevor morgan scored, i can remember going somewhere and every player got cheered when they got off the coach, he got booed, and he laughed and said allright lads in a cockney accent.

He scored some important goals.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Did any of you swindon fans go to the game at ours, last game of the season about 88?

Trevor morgan scored, i can remember going somewhere and every player got cheered when they got off the coach, he got booed, and he laughed and said allright lads in a cockney accent.

Last game of the season in 1987, Swindon already in the Play Offs and we had to beat them to get in them as well. It finished 1-1 but Gordon Owen missed a penalty. It was carnage outside in the park, I remember a brick just missing my head. I was only 11 and not embarrassed to say I was scared stiff.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes that was a crazy afternoon and it was amazing how the local constabulary disappeared after the game and everywhere you looked from the park back to temple meads it was kicking off with nutters from both sides out in force and no doubts the same the other side of the ground where the coaches, cars and transit vans were parked 

11 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I was behind the goal in the Atyeo. When Freeman pulled it back for Wilbraham I was already out of my seat celebrating and missed the ball actually go in!

Great great day

I watched that game in the Steam Railway pub with some Swindon mates. I couldn’t really get as animated as I would have liked....!

8 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Apologies if it’s mentioned earlier in this thread guys but did Swindon play many first teamers against us at Supermarine?

No mainly young players and trialist as most of the first team were involved the night before against Man Utd under 23's 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst we have a number of Swindon fans on this thread, whatever happened to that Swindon poster with the STFC crest as his avatar?

Does he post under a different name or has he just disappeared?

'The girlfriend (later wife) supports City' or somesuch?

22 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So true

Made me laugh and reminded me of our League Cup Semi at Forest 

We had started bringing along to Football a lad who I will call ‘Jack’ literally was a man mountain (Remember  @GasDestroyer ?)

He was a labourer and used to swing pallets of bricks around like blocks of balsam wood was about 6’4 and 4’ wide

He was , seriously , the original Brick S**********

Belying his size he  was a quiet and very placid and nice bloke 

As we were approaching the City Ground  we crossed by a petrol station forecourt , in which we’re gathered some Forest ‘Youf’ 

I can still see now , with the same sense of surprise as one of said ‘Youf’ strutted forwards with menace and from a distance of only 4 or five feet shouted , at ‘Jack’  , and us City fans generally

‘Who the **** are you ‘

No one reacted , and was about to laugh when he stepped forward and spat in Jacks face !

I can remember thinking in those split seconds ‘Oh dear , what the **** are you doing’  as Jack took a stride forward and punched the ‘Youf’ so hard he went backwards across the floor of the service station at about 40mph like something out of a cartoon

Whether he ever woke up I don’t honestly know , I just recall the rest of the Forest Youf looking a bit shocked as the big man looked at me , shrugged and simply kept on walking !

?

Hopefully learnt his lesson - doubt he was spitting at away fans at their next home match - giants or not!

Lots of memories of Forest away, particularly when we drew them in the F.A. Cup on Valentine's Day '81 - I know it was the 14th Feb, because I'd arranged to meet up with my girlfriend (now wife) back in Bristol in the evening and things didn't go well as I was in a terrible mood after we lost late on!

We were 1-0 up (Mabbutt iirc.) and it looked like a very unlikely win against Clough's team until they scored 2 very late goals, including Ian Wallace in just about the last min. When they equalised we thought, 'Oh, well not too bad, a replay at AG', then the killer goal

The problem then was a group of Forest fans right in the middle of the massed City fans, who'd kept completely incognito throughout the match, including the equaliser, went berserk celebrating the winner right amongst us leading to chaos on the terrace as City fans from all sides converged on them, and mass fighting still going on as we exited.

Same game, iirc, that John Galley, who had gone on to work at Forest, was said in the EP to have made a citizen's arrest of a City fan outside the ground.

Something about Forest, always had a reputation for trouble (away fans beaten up and chucked in the Trent etc.) from my earliest days watching football.

Even then - 1970 - there was already a song, 'We hate Nottingham Forest, we hate (whoever) too, we hate Leeds United, but City we love you.' in the days when they were Div.1, but not very successful, that indicated the song was about their notorious fans rather than their club.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'The girlfriend (later wife) supports City' or somesuch?

Yep, I think that was the one.

A shame he seems to have gone as he was an interesting poster, although the mutual interest was probably due to the fact we were both in the same division at the time.

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yep, I think that was the one.

A shame he seems to have gone as he was an interesting poster, although the mutual interest was probably due to the fact we were both in the same division at the time.

Boatman I think that is....lives in Swindle.

54 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

@Shaun Taylor @swindon fan what’re your thoughts on Nathan Byrne chaps?

If you’re after a pacy player who can beat a man, put in some good crosses and pop the odd goal in whilst willing to track back and get stuck in, I’d say he’s a solid Championship player. Is he still at Wigan?

He’s not Howard Pritchard!

Archived