IGNORED

Kalifa Cisse joins backroom staff

ohhhshauntaylor

16 hours ago, harrys said:

I’ve travelled all over Europe and a vast amount seem to have more than one language (understandable when surrounded by other countries) Personally I don’t know a single person that has a second language

I can speak French and German relatively ok. 

I also speak a small amount of Spanish and Russian. Not good enough to hold a conversation but ok to ask for directions, order a beer and buy stuff in a shop.  

14 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

True. LJ said as much. Kodjia couldn’t speak any English , must have been difficult for him, and pretty short sighted by the club not to get something in place. 

Thankfully we’re a much better set up behind the scenes now. 

Might give a indication that we’re going back into overseas signings as well. 

Wasn’t it suggested that we signed Garita to keep him company, don’t know if Arnie speaks English though.

As for speaking foreign languages in France , a lot of French people are a bit hung up on not being able to speak English. They generally take their holidays in French speaking countries.

Those who do speak more than one language often live close to the border of another country, in my neck of the woods it’s not unusual to hear Spanish spoken as it’s just a two hour drive to Spain and many Spaniards left their native country to escape the Franco regime.

On thé Côté d’Azur there are many Italian speakers and in Alsace , Germans .

Equally there is a lot of immigration from the former French colonies so there are many Arabic speakers.

In short foreign settlement , proximity to a neighboring country and tourism / business needs dictate who speaks what language.

The British Isles don’t have a foreign speaking country as a land border unless you count Wales and let’s be honest , nobody counts Wales . ( apart from Greenpeace, maybe)

Personally , as a kid , I saw the acquisition of languages as a key to understanding the world .

I also wanted to be like James Bond , who could land in the jungle, be found by an undiscovered  tribe and still be fluent in their language. What class . 

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wasn’t it suggested that we signed Garita to keep him company, don’t know if Arnie speaks English though.

As for speaking foreign languages in France , a lot of French people are a bit hung up on not being able to speak English. They generally take their holidays in French speaking countries.

Those who do speak more than one language often live close to the border of another country, in my neck of the woods it’s not unusual to hear Spanish spoken as it’s just a two hour drive to Spain and many Spaniards left their native country to escape the Franco regime.

On thé Côté d’Azur there are many Italian speakers and in Alsace , Germans .

Equally there is a lot of immigration from the former French colonies so there are many Arabic speakers.

In short foreign settlement , proximity to a neighboring country and tourism / business needs dictate who speaks what language.

The British Isles don’t have a foreign speaking country as a land border unless you count Wales and let’s be honest , nobody counts Wales . ( apart from Greenpeace, maybe)

Personally , as a kid , I saw the acquisition of languages as a key to understanding the world .

I also wanted to be like James Bond , who could land in the jungle, be found by an undiscovered  tribe and still be fluent in their language. What class . 

He learned a few choice Darrell Clarke phrases on Twitter.  Club claimed it wasn’t his account, but it was, and I regularly see him tweeting stuff from it.

17 hours ago, harrys said:

I’ve travelled all over Europe and a vast amount seem to have more than one language (understandable when surrounded by other countries) Personally I don’t know a single person that has a second language

Doesn't Bristolian count then.

12 hours ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Anyone know which teams Lee watched when he was down in Portugal? Surely this is where we are going to splash the cash on a striker. 

Boavista, Sporting, Porto and Benfica.

Maybe....

Archived