IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers v Bristol City - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

Good morrow fine gentlemen and good ladies.

So this was going to be today's sermon until a certain Kalifa (not Mia - down boys, she is very definitely NSFW or your better halves if they search through your web history) upstaged it.

A few days ago, City announced an open training session, which was well received by City fans even if we were a bit confused (we had one 2 weeks ago in America didn't we? We don't do UK open sessions... etc). 

Well according to the fans of our opening opponents, it appears that a certain LJ is providing some superior comedic timing and that our open session is nothing more than a thinly veiled dig at their club and boss aka Inspector Gadget. Quite a few bites have been had according to every Bristolian's favourite local rag:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-fans-bristol-city-3128588?fbclid=IwAR1xvNWIIwFdC4as9Md6VOZd55w9nItvfsVXH3adrBQuvKgE7WDro6xJMrs

I have to admit, it's highly ironic and that didn't go unnoticed by one funny Leeds fan either who reportedly said: "We will be in the bushes".

I don't want to know what you do in the bushes whilst looking at 20 men exercising thanks fella. I can well imagine.

And then, I return home from Tescos and find out good old Cisse is coming home. The man has had quite the career and his passport must look like a kid went loopy with the stamps. He's played in Mali, Portugal, the UK, America, Australia and Thailand at professional levels. Just the Artic, Antarctica and South America and he'd have been a pro in every continent. Now that's experience. Speaking 5 languages will also be hugely helpful to any international players making Bristol their home. Poor Fam and Eros could barely say more than a few words of English when they first arrived so having a translator on the payroll will be invaluable.

On to tonight.

Tinhat on but I quite like Dale Vince. Yep, he's a strange cat, he's opinionated and he's definitely unorthodox but that just makes me respect him hugely. The amount of stick he gets for being "hippy"/vegan/green etc and his unusual way of running his businesses but he gives literally zero phuks. Yes, it's all probably a bit OTT forcing players to go vegan and only selling leek and potato pie at HT but you can always say no, I love eating bacon and go down the hill to the burger van can't you? He ain't gonna stop you.

Forest Green doesn't need any intro, we watched them for ourselves and the continued success they've achieved year on year. Narrowly missing out on a PO final this year, they remain in L2 and also will likely take over the Gas as our nearest rivals in the future, geographically and numerically in the league, the Gas and Cardiff both holding those respective titles at present.

An interesting game this one. A sea of red versus a sea of green. A colourblind persons nightmare. Let's hope the ref doesn't need Chroma glasses... 

3-1 City. Smzodics with a double and Famara tap in.

Big one on Saturday so stay safe if your on the M5 tonight.

COYRs!

18 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morrow fine gentlemen and good ladies.

So this was going to be today's sermon until a certain Kalifa (not Mia - down boys, she is very definitely NSFW or your better halves if they search through your web history) upstaged it.

A few days ago, City announced an open training session, which was well received by City fans even if we were a bit confused (we had one 2 weeks ago in America didn't we? We don't do UK open sessions... etc). 

Well according to the fans of our opening opponents, it appears that a certain LJ is providing some superior comedic timing and that our open session is nothing more than a thinly veiled dig at their club and boss aka Inspector Gadget. Quite a few bites have been had according to every Bristolian's favourite local rag:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-fans-bristol-city-3128588?fbclid=IwAR1xvNWIIwFdC4as9Md6VOZd55w9nItvfsVXH3adrBQuvKgE7WDro6xJMrs

I have to admit, it's highly ironic and that didn't go unnoticed by one funny Leeds fan either who reportedly said: "We will be in the bushes".

I don't want to know what you do in the bushes whilst looking at 20 men exercising thanks fella. I can well imagine.

And then, I return home from Tescos and find out good old Cisse is coming home. The man has had quite the career and his passport must look like a kid went loopy with the stamps. He's played in Mali, Portugal, the UK, America, Australia and Thailand at professional levels. Just the Artic, Antarctica and South America and he'd have been a pro in every continent. Now that's experience. Speaking 5 languages will also be hugely helpful to any international players making Bristol their home. Poor Fam and Eros could barely say more than a few words of English when they first arrived so having a translator on the payroll will be invaluable.

On to tonight.

Tinhat on but I quite like Dale Vince. Yep, he's a strange cat, he's opinionated and he's definitely unorthodox but that just makes me respect him hugely. The amount of stick he gets for being "hippy"/vegan/green etc and his unusual way of running his businesses but he gives literally zero phuks. Yes, it's all probably a bit OTT forcing players to go vegan and only selling leek and potato pie at HT but you can always say no, I love eating bacon and go down the hill to the burger van can't you? He ain't gonna stop you.

Forest Green doesn't need any intro, we watched them for ourselves and the continued success they've achieved year on year. Narrowly missing out on a PO final this year, they remain in L2 and also will likely take over the Gas as our nearest rivals in the future, geographically and numerically in the league, the Gas and Cardiff both holding those respective titles at present.

An interesting game this one. A sea of red versus a sea of green. A colourblind persons nightmare. Let's hope the ref doesn't need Chroma glasses... 

Big one on Saturday so stay safe if your on the M5 tonight.

COYRs!

Well I’m guessing the squad will look something like this tonight...

Bentley

Hunt

Webster

Kalas

Rowe

Eliasson

Brownhill

Szmodics

Walsh

O’Dowda

Weimann

Janneh

Wright

Baker 

Watkins

If the squad that was mentioned vs Swindon today was right.

22 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

If the team that @TETBURY MASSIVE posted as playing at Swindon was correct (not doubting it but I've seen no corroborating source) then tonights XI could be a little odd. Possibly;

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Webster O'Dowda

Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Szmodics

Weimann Janneh

But could be even looser than that. Or I guess some players might play in both games given it's a short trip and tons of subs are likely in both matches. For example you could easily lob Wollacott into a cab and get him on the bench for FGR as well as Swindon.

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If the team that @TETBURY MASSIVE posted as playing at Swindon was correct (not doubting it but I've seen no corroborating source) then tonights XI could be a little odd. Possibly;

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Webster O'Dowda

Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Szmodics

Weimann Janneh

But could be even looser than that. Or I guess some players might play in both games given it's a short trip and tons of subs are likely in both matches. For example you could easily lob Wollacott into a cab and get him on the bench for FGR as well as Swindon.

Possibles too include:

Wright

Baker

Watkins

Walsh

Bakinson

topped up with:

Holden

Hinds

H.Smith

Soady

Pearson

plus any hot-footing it from Swindon to Nailsworth.

Do not have a clue how that team will be set up. Exciting looking side though. Plenty of busy little bees.

I get the feeling Rowe will be much better in midfield and O'Dowda at left back.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Be interesting to see who plays LB tonight.....assuming Rowe if 4231.

Bentley

Hunt | Kalas | Webster | Rowe (or O’Dowda)

Walsh | Brownhill

Eliasson | Szmodics | O’Dowda

Weimann

Really interested to see is #feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics can feed Weimann’s clever runs.

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I would of started Janneh instead of COD . 

I expect COD will start at LB.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Do not have a clue how that team will be set up. Exciting looking side though. Plenty of busy little bees.

I get the feeling Rowe will be much better in midfield and O'Dowda at left back.

So far this pre-season we've seen the front 4 or 5 players being very fluid and not really sticking to defined and traditional positions. LJ looks to be steering the squad towards having a disciplined and fairly rigid defence (albeit switching between 3 and 4 at the back depending on personnel) but a looser attacking force. This XI looks to mirror that. Based on what I saw in Tampa I expect a flat back four of Hunt Kalas Webster and O'Dowda. Rowe and Walsh then form a pivotal pair further in midfield with Rowe the deeper of the two - Rowe filled this role in the first Derby game in Tampa. Brownhill, Szmodics, Eliasson and Weimann can then roam, move and play where they like.

When we lose the ball we press high and Walsh at the very least drops back to support Rowe.

Basically what @Davefevs says in his post. Dave I put COD at LB, Rowe in midfield and pushed Brownhill forward based on how each was used in the Derby matches in Florida.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Be interesting to see who plays LB tonight.....assuming Rowe if 4231.

Bentley

Hunt | Kalas | Webster | Rowe (or O’Dowda)

Walsh | Brownhill

Eliasson | Szmodics | O’Dowda

Weimann

Really interested to see is #feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics can feed Weimann’s clever runs.

I am hoping it's like a diamond. Szmodics and Weimann up top as a pair.

I hope O'Dowda is left back and Rowe is in midfield. I think O'Dowda could make a great left back. And Rowe is an experienced central midfielder. I think he may lack pace for the left back role.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I expect COD will start at LB.

So far this pre-season we've seen the front 4 or 5 players being very fluid and not really sticking to defined and traditional positions. LJ looks to be steering the squad towards having a disciplined and fairly rigid defence (albeit switching between 3 and 4 at the back depending on personnel) but a looser attacking force. This XI looks to mirror that. Based on what I saw in Tampa I expect a flat back four of Hunt Kalas Webster and O'Dowda. Rowe and Walsh then form a pivotal pair further in midfield with Rowe the deeper of the two - Rowe filled this role in the first Derby game in Tampa. Brownhill, Szmodics, Eliasson and Weimann can then roam, move and play where they like.

When we lose the ball we press high and Walsh at the very least drops back to support Rowe.

Basically what @Davefevs says in his post. Dave I put COD at LB and Rowe in midfield based on how each was used in the Derby matches in Florida.

Yep. That'll do.

12 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

when did we get back?jet lag may be a factor worth a bet on fgr?

From Swindon to Nailsworth?

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. That'll do.

Only other thing is that Webster and Kalas definitely still have licence to go all libero and run the ball forward if they get the opportunity. This is a beautiful thing and I'd probably be "LJ out" if he ever told Webster to stop doing it.

Enjoy tonight if you're going.

Just now, deadredfred said:

Where's Fam and Dasilva?

They both played against Swindon earlier today along with Semenyo, Taylor, Pack and basically any other player that you'd expect to be at FGR but isn't.

The club aren't officially acknowledging/reporting on that match.

Apparently it was 3-1 to us with Taylor, Semenyo and J. Smith scoring our goals.

Archived