IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers v Bristol City - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

Just now, Lew-T said:

Not starting with a natural striker doesn’t help our cause for situations like that.

Weimann is not a natural. We just need different options up there and I really hope we address it. That’ll be two windows wasted otherwise.

Or we could play in a way that suits the players on the pitch. Crossing the ball and hoping for the best is not a good strategy.

55KEY EVEN

Goal: 3-1 (Collins)

Another for the home side as Joseph Mills’ cross from the left is not cleared and Collins sweeps home from close range.

Hunt had to get out and close that down quicker. Mind, Kalas and Webster made a mess of their clearances and the ball fell kindly.

Three goals conceded to FGR  in under an hour , with 3/4 of our first choice back four and Bentley 

hmmmmmmmm

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Looking very ordinary and half hearted now. Disappointing performance since half time. Corner from Elliason overhit and not much to get excited about. Might as well give the young ones a run out.

Any changes

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

You just need someone with decent positioning and a good jump/height on him. Living in the past but Tammy would fill his boots sitting in the 6 yard box and having crosses fed into him from Eliasson, O'dowda, Brownhill et al.

It’s so frustrating because we probably have one of the best deliveries/supply out there.

We wasted so many chances last year, hitting the woodwork etc. 

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We really need that focal striker to get on the end of these crosses. Has been a bit of a theme this pre-season. Diedhiou can serve that role to a point but it's not his natural forte. I miss Djuric.

As we did for large parts of last season. I really hope this is sorted in this window. 

Just now, !james said:

It's almost as if it's only a pre season game and it means absolutely nothing... 

And one that we don't particularly want to be playing it seems.

Doubtless we will beat Palace and that will be equally meaningless.

All a bit of a phoney war.

Just now, Lew-T said:

It’s so frustrating because we probably have one of the best deliveries/supply out there.

We wasted so many chances last year, hitting the woodwork etc. 

I agree completely.

I suppose one role of pre-season is to identity these issues (albeit they were evident last season as well as you point out). I guess we have to trust that the staff are looking to bring in someone (perhaps Moore or Joao). Also important to remember that v Leeds we'll almost certainly have one of Diedhiou or Semenyo on the pitch.

It is a friendly and the result means nothing. However the patterns of play and style do mean something and should be something to work on. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hunt had to get out and close that down quicker. Mind, Kalas and Webster made a mess of their clearances and the ball fell kindly.

55KEY EVEN

Goal: 3-1 (Collins)

Another for the home side as Joseph Mills’ cross from the left is not cleared and Collins sweeps home from close range.

Three goals conceded to FGR  in under an hour , with 3/4 of our first choice back four and Bentley 

hmmmmmmmm

It’s preseason. Trust in LJ, maybe we are experimenting a different style of play but I wouldn’t be too worried if the score line remains the same. It’s a game to build fitness.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

MA “we have retained a financial interest in his future” or words to that effect.  So I reckon so.

Is that missing Pack?

Retaining a financial interest means sell on clause....that does not mean we cannot buy him back giving FGR a healthy profit 

4 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Retaining a financial interest means sell on clause....that does not mean we cannot buy him back giving FGR a healthy profit 

Yeah, didn’t read it properly....could be both....but yeah sell-on undoubtedly.

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Pre season. One game. We are not unbeatable. This is what friendlies are all about and we'll learn from this. 

Some on here are a little embarrassing. Classic OTIB reaction before the games even over.

So you don't mind us losing to a Fourth Division side?

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree completely.

I suppose one role of pre-season is to identity these issues (albeit they were evident last season as well as you point out). I guess we have to trust that the staff are looking to bring in someone (perhaps Moore or Joao). Also important to remember that v Leeds we'll almost certainly have one of Diedhiou or Semenyo on the pitch.

It is a friendly and the result means nothing. However the patterns of play and style do mean something and should be something to work on. 

it won`t be Semenyo, he`s banned

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Pre season. One game. We are not unbeatable. This is what friendlies are all about and we'll learn from this. 

Some on here are a little embarrassing. Classic OTIB reaction before the games even over.

Like it not not   I would not expect the team we put out to lose to a 4th division side. 

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

What reaction is that?

All have been constructive about tonight’s game and possible changes we can make to improve before the season begins.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Tell that to gaffer I suppose.

Sure, I was just making a general point I guess.

My feeling was that if we cannot get a striker we have players capable of playing a different way and not relying on one man to get the goals.

A 4-2-3-1 say with a narrow 3 of mobile players who can create openings with passing and movement, with more players chipping in.

If we are just going to hit crosses from wide positions regardless - which makes life easier for the opposition - then I wouldn't be optimistic.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So you don't mind us losing to a Fourth Division side?

Not in pre season no. I'd rather we find out our weaknesses in games like this and learn from it. Have a reality check. We're not going to win every game we ever play. This is what pre season is for - make mistakes, learn from them and for LJ to work out his best side and tactics for various opositions and their tactics. 

Archived