IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers v Bristol City - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I would suggest @frenchred is (pretty obviously) talking primarily in terms of personnel, and he has a point.  Szmodics is the only addition that looks likely to be in the starting 11 who wasn't here last year.  Kalas and Dasilva are very obviously great signings, but they don't improve us compared to last season, they keep us the same.  Is Szmodics alone enough to turn a team that finished 8th into one that finishes in the play offs?  He's clearly promising, but that's very doubtful.  For me we are still a striker and a central midfielder away from substantial improvement on last year.

I agree to a certain extent. We have to factor in that these players are a young bunch and there is likely improvement in individual performances plus all of them have had at least a season at this level now  which is a big plus. Sammie is a good addition along with Bentley and I'm with you that we need an another striker in the bag. 

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I would suggest @frenchred is (pretty obviously) talking primarily in terms of personnel, and he has a point.  Szmodics is the only addition that looks likely to be in the starting 11 who wasn't here last year.  Kalas and Dasilva are very obviously great signings, but they don't improve us compared to last season, they keep us the same.  Is Szmodics alone enough to turn a team that finished 8th into one that finishes in the play offs?  He's clearly promising, but that's very doubtful.  For me we are still a striker and a central midfielder away from substantial improvement on last year.

I agree 100%. What we don’t know is do we already have those players at the club, which to be fair is what LJ said a month ago. 

Players develop as we know. Janneh is looking like he is playing himself in, can Semenyo , Walsh and Bakinson is the question. I guess we will know what LJ thinks when the window shuts. B

19 hours ago, bengalcub said:

O'dowda bottled every 50/50 tonight and hardly got of the floor to compete for a header, defo scared he might jeopardise his move if he picks up a knock......

To be fair to him i thought most of the players didn't go in as much/strong as they usually would with the exception of Brownhill and Walsh. No one wants to get a knock with the eason only starting next week.

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Bentley? I believe this is a smart bit of recruitment and completes the defensive part of "The Spine".

Now a quality midfield general and a second goal scoring striker alongside Diedhiou will be needed to complete "The Spine"

10 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

I agree to a certain extent. We have to factor in that these players are a young bunch and there is likely improvement in individual performances plus all of them have had at least a season at this level now  which is a big plus. Sammie is a good addition along with Bentley and I'm with you that we need an another striker in the bag. 

Good point about Bentley, I forgot about him. Although is Bentley over Maenpaa/Fielding even a guaranteed upgrade, and enough of one to push us up the table? Time will tell I guess.

But I definitely feel what really would make the difference is a quality forward and a top class midfielder (easy to say, harder to do).

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good point about Bentley, I forgot about him. Although is Bentley over Maenpaa/Fielding even a guaranteed upgrade, and enough of one to push us up the table? Time will tell I guess.

But I definitely feel what really would make the difference is a quality forward and a top class midfielder (easy to say, harder to do).

Bentley has been one of the most coveted GK prospects in the football league for years now. He's only 26 and has 250+ starts under his belt, half in this division. He's definitely got the potential to be a premier league keeper if his workrate and character are right. 

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The main upgrade that Bentley gives us is his distribution. It will certainly fit the way we wish to play

Archived