IGNORED

Why haven't we bought more firepower?

reddogkev

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The trouble is, I'm too busy to know who's around and who we could afford, but I'm sure all involved with City's recruitment team would have a better idea than myself.

For me, Scott Hogan, bid £12million, but I have no real idea if that would be successful or something we could afford.

12 million for a player who failed at villa?

and most likely disrupt the dressing room I’m glad you aren’t in charge of our transfers,

is rather go with what we have then sign him

Maybe LJ sees Semenyo as the answer to the firepower question.He may also think that with Wiemann, Famara, Taylor and Szmodics that he has plenty of goals in the squad already,

Add to that Eliasson and Brownhill who both have a goal or two in them and I wouldn’t be surprised not to see another striker signed.

LJ might think that why spend mega money on a striker when you don’t need to?

9 hours ago, hodge said:

People really think we wouldn't have bought a striker if the right player became available at the right price?

I dunno. People get frustrated though, and people are impatient. And people like starting their own threads. And people like tut-tutting at people who are frustrated, impatient and starting threads. 

People score goals too, mind, and people buy people that score goals - so wtf are they up to at the moment? Too hot for people, this week, I reckon. 

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maybe LJ sees Semenyo as the answer to the firepower question.He may also think that with Wiemann, Famara, Taylor and Szmodics that he has plenty of goals in the squad already,

Add to that Eliasson and Brownhill who both have a goal or two in them and I wouldn’t be surprised not to see another striker signed.

We do need another striker, it’s the one area of the team we have no depth or different options

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolute rubbish.....want top six?

We need a finisher.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We do need another striker, it’s the one area of the team we have no depth or different options

I agree Monkeh!  

Im simply suggesting that LJ might feel that he has enough goals in the squad without needing to spend serious money on another striker.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Now, I can't claim to speak for LJ, but if that is what he thought, I'd be utterly gobsmacked, and I'm certain you would too.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Now, I can't claim to speak for LJ, but if that is what he thought, I'd be utterly gobsmacked, and I'm certain you would too.

I’d be gobsmacked if LJ makes the same error as his dad did by not strengthening the strike force - but he might.......:dunno:

I tried to look at things from as many angles as I can and one perspective is that  LJ could have - which I posted earlier in this thread.

The prognosis on here is probably right. We haven't bought a forward because a good forward is expensive, and ultimately we cannot afford one.

Since pre-season is almost over, I think it's unlikely that we're going to buy someone, and if we do it's likely that they won't be fully integrated for at least a few games into the season.

Will this hurt our promotion chances? Most definitely, but as I've said a dozen or so times on here, if you're worried about money, you probably don't have enough to compete at the top of the table, so I'd say not securing a forward with either a record or potential means promotion/playoffs aren't on the table this season.

The league is full of solid teams this year. I'd consider it tougher than last season, so I'd be happy to finish where we finished last season.

9 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The prognosis on here is probably right. We haven't bought a forward because a good forward is expensive, and ultimately we cannot afford one.

Since pre-season is almost over, I think it's unlikely that we're going to buy someone, and if we do it's likely that they won't be fully integrated for at least a few games into the season.

Will this hurt our promotion chances? Most definitely, but as I've said a dozen or so times on here, if you're worried about money, you probably don't have enough to compete at the top of the table, so I'd say not securing a forward with either a record or potential means promotion/playoffs aren't on the table this season.

The league is full of solid teams this year. I'd consider it tougher than last season, so I'd be happy to finish where we finished last season.

I don't think it's so much that we cannot afford a "good" forward.

We can afford a good striker, but I suspect that type of goalscorer many fans are suggesting we want/need will be out of our price range. Assombalonga sounded the ideal option when it was suggested we were looking at him in January, but when you look at the figures involved it would be little surprise if he fell outside of our budget and what we can afford. Also, from some of the stats mentioned, for £15m fee and £2.5m pa wages we would have got, what was it, 3 more goals in a season compared to Famara?

The elusive 20 gaol a season striker is the holy grail for just about every club aiming for promotion. The problem is that notwithstanding the improvement in our finances, there are too many clubs in the championship that can blow us out of the water financially and 20 goal a season strikers, proven at this level, are more likely to go to a premier league team than they are to Bristol City. Mopey is a good example just now, but what would fans' reaction have been had we brought him when he was unknown?

23 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Interesting comments, and I reckon you're right, although I do sincerely hope that the club has the funds to buy an extra forward, as this is the year we need to strive for promotion.

If not, we'll stand to lose Webster, Brownhill, possibly even Kalas next summer, as the time will come for those players to ply their trade in the Prem.  If we did sell that trio of talent, the plus side is we'd comfortably bank at least £40million.

Still, more firepower is definitely needed!

34 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

You don’t get promoted in August ffs

16 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Rather than worry about the transfer window closing and denying us the chance to gain a striker, I am willing it to close denying us the chance to sell a certain defender....

Indeed. With the addition of Bentley we have seemingly upped the quality of the goalkeepers, and secured two defenders who were vital last season. Maybe we are keeping the goals out as much as trying to score them? I’ve not seen Szmodics but liking the ‘lively’ and ‘energetic’ plaudits he is being given.Weimann, Taylor and even Diedhiou would be better if they were given such a creative player to feed from. Get the crosses in from the wing too and we are good to go. 

Hopefully with the defence doing their job attacking players will be able to do theirs too and not be used to help out in midfield so much as the midfielders are back helping the defence? 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I don't think it's so much that we cannot afford a "good" forward.

We can afford a good striker, but I suspect that type of goalscorer many fans are suggesting we want/need will be out of our price range. Assombalonga sounded the ideal option when it was suggested we were looking at him in January, but when you look at the figures involved it would be little surprise if he fell outside of our budget and what we can afford. Also, from some of the stats mentioned, for £15m fee and £2.5m pa wages we would have got, what was it, 3 more goals in a season compared to Famara?

The elusive 20 gaol a season striker is the holy grail for just about every club aiming for promotion. The problem is that notwithstanding the improvement in our finances, there are too many clubs in the championship that can blow us out of the water financially and 20 goal a season strikers, proven at this level, are more likely to go to a premier league team than they are to Bristol City. Mopey is a good example just now, but what would fans' reaction have been had we brought him when he was unknown?

Yep, that's pretty much it, but it's also why it makes me laugh that many fans on here consider the playoffs as achievable. It's a goal, for sure, but truthfully would you say out squad is a step above last seasons?

I'd say that LJ has worked wonders with this squad. A lot of it is down to him having the freedom to build his squad, and to put his vision into place, and IMO he's done a great job to build the numbers up and keep the good runs of form going for longer.

In the back of my mind is whether we're one standard/bad season away from undoing several years of good work, and above any other position a good forward masks a lot of problems. We've had this with both Tammy and Bobby, and last season was mainly about a more complete squad over anything else.

I'd like us to sign a solid forward, but I don't think it will happen because LJ will have wanted his target in place for pre-season preparations. It might still happen, but unless we're buying pre-prepared quality I think a forward is out of the question.

Our current forwards were not good enough last season, so perhaps we have to ship one out before we can bring one in.  Top class strikers cost a lot of money and their wages are expensive too.  A loan would be a good option, but a top class prem youngster may not be available. 

I think we are still keeping our options open, with perhaps one or two offers on the table which we may need to increase as deadline day approaches.

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Totally Agree ???

6 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Because we are a stingey club. 5.2mill for famara has to last us a good few seasons

Obviously being stingey was why we wouldn't stump up the money for Kalas so we missed out on him. Or did we?

There is some very good stuff on football finance on other threads. I recommend reading them.Unless you belong to the FFP is an excuse tendency, in which case don't.

We'll probably buy someone on deadline day, then when he doesn't set the world on fire we will be told "he didn't have a proper pre-season.

I finding really frustrating particularly keeping in mind LJ's "we will be bold"comments that players who we say want too high wages are in advance talks with Wigan.

Its very nice to sign Kalas but considering last seasons lack of goals and the fact that we have Baker and Vynner would it have been better to go all out to buy one or 2 decent strikers

I think keeping our fingers crossed that Arsenal give us a decent loan striker is not a very good policy

19 hours ago, Bristol is red said:

The window closes 8th August at 5pm, we still have roughly two weeks left and I wouldn't be surprised if deals didn't get complete until the last week, I'd imagine this is likely for most clubs.

It used to close a lot later didn’t it? I remember we signed Engvall at the very end of August a few years ago ..

21 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

We'll probably buy someone on deadline day, then when he doesn't set the world on fire we will be told "he didn't have a proper pre-season.

I finding really frustrating particularly keeping in mind LJ's "we will be bold"comments that players who we say want too high wages are in advance talks with Wigan.

Its very nice to sign Kalas but considering last seasons lack of goals and the fact that we have Baker and Vynner would it have been better to go all out to buy one or 2 decent strikers

I think keeping our fingers crossed that Arsenal give us a decent loan striker is not a very good policy

Any thoughts on who those 2 strikers should have been, how many goals you would want them to guarantee, and at what price? Given that the club apparently haven't bothered.

Only Hugill is on a reported £35k a week at West Ham and his scoring record is nothing special. I wonder why nobody has signed him yet?

I think you would be in a small group if you didn't want to snap up Kalas when the chance arose though 

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’d be gobsmacked if LJ makes the same error as his dad did by not strengthening the strike force - but he might.......:dunno:

I tried to look at things from as many angles as I can and one perspective is that  LJ could have - which I posted earlier in this thread.

Well apart from diedhou and tammy, lj has brought quite a few strikers in who havent been up to it, and we could all see in January what was needed, and it didnt happen then either.

someone else said it on here, but if diedhou gets a bad injury we are screwed. Wiemann is our next best chance of a goal and he didnt score in 6 months last season. Taylor is good for 3 a season and semenyo szomdics and janneh have never scored in the championship.

Archived