IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

No granted but we have been after a goalscorer for 3 seasons now should it really be that hard or is it we just wont pay for quality we need ?

The problem for me is rarity. People cry out for a 20 goal striker (though some go on to name players who have never scored 20 in a season!) but look at last season's 20+ scorers, take out those who were promoted or have been sold to the Prem since then ask what chance we have of getting any of the rest.

For what it's worth I think that makes the loan and foreign markets the realistic places for us to look, though there is little sign we are doing the latter, possibly because our scouting is still not good enough.

Of course pretty much all our rivals are in the same boat so we are shopping in a crowded supermarket!

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Goal 1 - all over place defensively and Palarse player squeezes it over line from 2 yards - 

Goal 2 They didn’t even finish it - it was an own goal

Goal 3 Awful from Hunt & Kalas - unmarked Benteke header from only six yards , neat header tho 

Goal 4  Defence go to sleep yet again and Palarse player dink’s it over the diving Bentley - Neat but standard finish for any decent striker

Goal 5  Defence have given up and sidefoit finish from six yards right into centre of goal

I don’t know what game you were watching to describe the goals the way you have

Not one goal where they’ve had to cut thro us with great play and neatish  finishing but nothing like you describe

Gifts Gifts Gifts

First two goals were well worked, although the second was a ball given away by szmodics which was a gift.

Third should have been better marking but a very good finish from Benteke and the same with the fourth. The fifth was poor defending but again a decent finish. 

Don’t know what game if you don’t think think palace were clinical with their finishing and were a class above in that department

23 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

All our money has been spent on a defence that was shambolic today.

Palace hardly had to try, we gifted them the first two goals 

You'd need Boris-level, bull-shitting optimism to get any positives out of that game. We'll just have to hope Leeds are complacent when they come down.

Keep politics out of OTIB

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ratings

Bentley.  5

Hunt.  4

DaSilva.  6

Kalas.  3

Webster.  6

Pack.  4

Brownhill   6

Elliasson   5

Szmodics.  6

Diedhiou   5

Weimman   6

Not mine - McGregors Fwiw

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-ratings-crystal-palace-3143933

I’d say

Bentley 6

Hunt 3

Webster 3

Kalas 3

Dasilva 5 

Brownhill 6 (motm)

Pack 5

Eliasson 5

Szmodics 4

Weimann 5

Diedhiou 5

Brownhill and Bentley only two to come out of that with any sort of decent performance imo

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ratings

Bentley.  5

Hunt.  4

DaSilva.  6

Kalas.  3

Webster.  6

Pack.  4

Brownhill   6

Elliasson   5

Szmodics.  6

Diedhiou   5

Weimman   6

Not mine - McGregors Fwiw

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-ratings-crystal-palace-3143933

Kalas

Kala

Kal

Ka

K

Ka

Kal

KaLee Tomlin. 

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

First two goals were well worked, although the second was a ball given away by szmodics which was a gift.

Third should have been better marking but a very good finish from Benteke and the same with the fourth. The fifth was poor defending but again a decent finish. 

Don’t know what game if you don’t think think palace were clinical with their finishing and were a class above in that department

Bizarre 

First two goals well worked ? 

One was pinball in the box and the second an own goal

Put it simply the other way

Give Diedhiou the four chances (He’d prob miss Kalas header for OG)

Would you not expect even him to score all four ?

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Don’t give two hoots about palaces strikeforce.....really concerned about our total lack of one

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bizarre 

First two goals well worked ? 

One was pinball in the box and the second an own goal

Put it simply the other way

Give Diedhiou the four chances (He’d prob miss Kalas header for OG)

Would you not expect even him to score all four ?

Well considering he missed from a yard out, no probably not.

Id expect him to score the wickham goal maybe, and possibly the Benteke goal considering he’s good with his head but none of the others

Just now, JBFC II said:

Well considering he missed from a yard out, no probably not.

Id expect him to score the wickham goal maybe, and possibly the Benteke goal considering he’s good with his head but none of the others

Not the first from two yards ? With goalkeeper out the game ?

Any half decent player in L1 should be able to finish those chances - probably the best finish the dink over the keeper but you portray a picture of finishes akin to Agueros against us

I thought we were poor today. I was optimistic for this season, I don’t expect promotion but at least competing for the playoffs, on that showing mid table is where we will be.

As many have said we need a striker, Diedhou is just not good enough at this level and until we get that sorted we are always going to be behind the curve. I appreciate good strikers are not two a penny but we been short of goals for 3 seasons now so it’s no surprise.

Hopefully they do have someone lined up if not all we have done is spent quite a bit of money to secure players we had on loan so it won’t be surprising if this season pans out much like the last.

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say

Bentley 6

Hunt 3

Webster 3

Kalas 3

Dasilva 5 

Brownhill 6 (motm)

Pack 5

Eliasson 5

Szmodics 4

Weimann 5

Diedhiou 5

Brownhill and Bentley only two to come out of that with any sort of decent performance imo

Webster 2 (1 for getting his kit on and 1 for leaving the field)

"Joking" apart Brownhill and Weimann easily are most eye catching performers....My god how we need Korey Smith back AND in form!!

Today reminded me of all the times we played 442 and were mainly all saying Johnson has to put an extra body in midfield. From what I see there are 2 reasons for that - Pack and Diedhiou.

Both not dynamic enough to play in a that system how LJ wants us to play. That's not me saying they aren't any good.

But if we set up like today against Leeds then I see us losing and maybe having a bad start to the season before LJ changes back to the 4141 of last season.

We will then look much more solid, and probably win games 1-0. We defended terribly as a team today, and it wasn't like we weren't trying. Our players didn't stop running.

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Webster 2 (1 for getting his kit on and 1 for leaving the field)

"Joking" apart Brownhill and Weimann easily are most eye catching performers....My god how we need Korey Smith back AND in form!!

I’d say I’m quite level headed usually but I was quite concerned today. Weimann looked like a blunt instrument and we are going to struggle to score if we can’t improve the final ball or add a more clinical attacker. 

Palace won today without even getting into second gear. This is probably the worst Palace side for quite a while who have been dreadful pre-season. Obviously you can’t read into pre-season friendlies too much but losing 5-0 at home to a poor Premier League side who cut through us with such ease is a little shocking. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not the first from two yards ? With goalkeeper out the game ?

Any half decent player in L1 should be able to finish those chances - probably the best finish the dink over the keeper but you portray a picture of finishes akin to Agueros against us

Townsend got into the position in the first place, Fam is all too often out of position to take a chance like that.

He’d  have probably skied it anyway...

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Townsend got into the position in the first place, Fam is all too often out of position to take a chance like that.

He’d  have probably skied it anyway...

Bottom line is we played our back four who were together all of last season , or for the vast majority of games

On the goals they looked like they were four poor trialists who had never seen each other before , and that I really am surprised and concerned at 

I don’t believe we will be anywhere near as bad next week but the idea that players can just switch it on or turn it up a notch is not one I subscribe too and not impressed with the focus or attitude in the ‘defending’ I saw

Kalas looked like a non league trialist for the goals , luckily we know , like Webster that’s nowhere near a assessment of him as a player

Hunt for me a different story - out of position or switched off as he does nearly every time I see him

Tbf I shouldn’t lump JDS in with the other three in respect of the goals - cant recall any blame specifically on him

9 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I’d say I’m quite level headed usually but I was quite concerned today. Weimann looked like a blunt instrument and we are going to struggle to score if we can’t improve the final ball or add a more clinical attacker. 

Palace won today without even getting into second gear. This is probably the worst Palace side for quite a while who have been dreadful pre-season. Obviously you can’t read into pre-season friendlies too much but losing 5-0 at home to a poor Premier League side who cut through us with such ease is a little shocking. 

If you cant find him he cant do much. The bloke makes run after run and we fanny with the ball.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bottom line is we played our back four who were together all of last season , or for the vast majority of games

On the goals they looked like they were four poor trialists who had never seen each other before , and that I really am surprised and concerned at 

I don’t believe we will be anywhere near as bad next week but the idea that players can just switch it on or turn it up a notch is not one I subscribe too and not impressed with the focus or attitude in the ‘defending’ I saw

Kalas looked like a non league trialist for the goals , luckily we know , like Webster that’s nowhere near a assessment of him as a player

Hunt for me a different story - out of position or switched off as he does nearly every time I see him

Tbf I shouldn’t lump JDS in with the other three in respect of the goals - cant recall any blame specifically on him

Completely and they weren’t helped by the midfield as well. Josh is top attack minded to play in a 2 and packs passing was horrific, as was szmodics at times.

We need to get in someone to protect the back four as they are way too exposed today, although that doesn’t excuse the non exist marking and defending 

21 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I thought we were poor today. I was optimistic for this season, I don’t expect promotion but at least competing for the playoffs, on that showing mid table is where we will be.

As many have said we need a striker, Diedhou is just not good enough at this level and until we get that sorted we are always going to be behind the curve. I appreciate good strikers are not two a penny but we been short of goals for 3 seasons now so it’s no surprise.

Hopefully they do have someone lined up if not all we have done is spent quite a bit of money to secure players we had on loan so it won’t be surprising if this season pans out much like the last.

In fairness to @Robbored he said about 10 days ago that were no stronger than last season, as we had the same team and he got slaughtered on here. At the end of todays game , only Bentley was a new player.

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Completely and they weren’t helped by the midfield as well. Josh is top attack minded to play in a 2 and packs passing was horrific, as was szmodics at times.

We need to get in someone to protect the back four as they are way too exposed today, although that doesn’t excuse the non exist marking and defending 

As I didn’t see the game I can’t comment on the general play or failings today

Everyone points the blame at Pack in midfield

Decent player but lacks mobility and pace so ,

........play two creators in Szmodics and Elliasson who will offer very limited protection cover and little physicality ....

Then..........Play Brownhill alongside him who charges around with great enthusiasm but is caught out of possession a dozen times a game and does a limited amount of defensive cover (very Willing but not much help if you are 30. Yards out off position)

.....Pack’s  got a lot on his hands when we lose the ball hasnt he !!!

Give Packs brain and game reading to Brownhill or Brownhill legs to Pack and you’ve got a very good Championship midfielder 

Both have failings and if you are being totally ruthless regarding getting promotion , not sure either are good enough , both ‘decent’ ,  but both have deficiencies 

1 hour ago, Im_over_ere said:

Has Bentley saved much today? I know the defending has been poor but some reflex saves would keep their score down. Hope his performances are more inspiring 

Yes he made a good save at 0-0 from Schlupp. He also tipped over a shot from Meyer that was destined for the top corner. All 5 goals he could have done nothing about. 3 tap ins a 1 on 1 and a free header from about 8 yards out. What exactly could he have done to inspire you more??

Its seriously obvious we need an out and out finisher.

Fammy hitting over the bar from 2 yards out is harder to do than put the bloody thing in the net.

And this bloody tour to the USA, subjecting the squad to immense heat and humidity must be bloody draining and perhaps most are just getting over it all?

What did the tour prove?

Lost to Derby and played a 2nd division American side?

Kalas and Webster both looked w@@@ed out today.

Our squad is far to good to have a relegation struggle but a season of mid table security will piss the fans off after spending a serious amount of money on new players.

From being so positive i cant help have some negitive feelings towards next saturday v Leeds.

Prove me wrong lads please.

11 minutes ago, collier said:

Yes he made a good save at 0-0 from Schlupp. He also tipped over a shot from Meyer that was destined for the top corner. All 5 goals he could have done nothing about. 3 tap ins a 1 on 1 and a free header from about 8 yards out. What exactly could he have done to inspire you more??

He was unlucky with the second goal too , closed and actually made a decent save ,  but it unluckily spun right under our bar 

Archived