IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

Don't care about friendly results or even performances that much. Season starts Sunday and that's when the players will step up etc.

My concern is we haven't got the striker we need, to support/compliment Fammy, the upgrade on Pack and still question marks over whether LJ can stop ending the losing streaks. Also I'm not Hunt fan although this isn't a huge issues compared to first three.

Team is pretty much same from me when finished last season and it wasn't good enough for top 6 then - Just keeping fingers crossed we can get the 2 or 3 players in needed to push us up into play-off material.

13 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Its seriously obvious we need an out and out finisher.

Fammy hitting over the bar from 2 yards out is harder to do than put the bloody thing in the net.

And this bloody tour to the USA, subjecting the squad to immense heat and humidity must be bloody draining and perhaps most are just getting over it all?

What did the tour prove?

Lost to Derby and played a 2nd division American side?

Kalas and Webster both looked w@@@ed out today.

Our squad is far to good to have a relegation struggle but a season of mid table security will piss the fans off after spending a serious amount of money on new players.

From being so positive i cant help have some negitive feelings towards next saturday v Leeds.

Prove me wrong lads please.

The pre season tour will stand us in good stead for the season ahead. 

34 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Townsend got into the position in the first place, Fam is all too often out of position to take a chance like that.

He’d  have probably skied it anyway...

Yea because he plays up front on his own with hardly any support. IMO the defender got to that chance from fam and it should have been a corner. I was sat right behind the goal and at first glance that's what I saw unless there is a replay anywhere of fam getting to it first!

2 minutes ago, collier said:

Yea because he plays up front on his own with hardly any support. IMO the defender got to that chance from fam and it should have been a corner. I was sat right behind the goal and at first glance that's what I saw unless there is a replay anywhere of fam getting to it first!

He’s unlucky like that ....

happens to him regularly 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He was unlucky with the second goal too , closed and actually made a decent save ,  but it unluckily spun right under our bar 

Yea your right but I couldn't be bothered to type it out. People already seem to be forming their opinion of him.

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Well Jono doesn't seem to concerned going by the official site.

Let have a bit of perspective, if we get dumped 3/0 by Leeds next week maybe then start to get worried.

Second thoughts it's Leeds so wele probably get stuffed anyway. Maybe give it another week after that.!!!

I disagree he look a worried man and has to say positive things although he may not mean them

1 minute ago, westonred said:

I disagree he look a worried man and has to say positive things although he may not mean them

Didn't see it just what I read.

let's just see how it goes next week in front of 20,000.

Didn't see the game but comments like Webster didn't want to be there I find amazing. I'm no happy clapper, in fact a doom and gloom merchant is nearer the mark, but if we had beaten Palace 2/0 today a lot would have been off to the bookies to back us for promotion.

Never won anything pre season in a friendly. Lets just see how it goes next week, a couple of signings and win over Leeds and everything will be ok again in our world!!

Massive reality check to those who think we could "do it" this term without significant additions.

What was particularly notable was how awful our defending was. At least two of those goals were pure comedy. Yes, I know we were playing very good players, but any side would've converted some of the gold-plated chances we handed them.

The hollow boast "we have the best defence in the division" looked never more hollow than today.

Another worrying sign is that Johnson clearly still hasn't learned some of the tactical lessons of last season.

Well, he has 8 days to ponder them and to try to pick the lads up.

Worse possible pre-season friendly.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Massive reality check to those who think we could "do it" this term without significant additions.

What was particularly notable was how awful our defending was. At least two of those goals were pure comedy. Yes, I know we were playing very good players, but any side would've converted some of the gold-plated chances we handed them.

The hollow boast "we have the best defence in the division" looked never more hollow than today.

Another worrying sign is that Johnson clearly still hasn't learned some of the tactical lessons of last season.

Well, he has 8 days to ponder them and to try to pick the lads up.

Worse possible pre-season friendly.

Lee Johnson insists his players will be ready for the new season as they dust themselves down from Saturday’s defeat to Crystal Palace.

Johnson’s men fell to a 5-0 defeat at Ashton Gate, their final run out of pre-season.

There are now eight days until the Robins’ season kicks off against Leeds United in BS3.

Here’s what the head coach had to say following Saturday’s match against Roy Hodgson’s Eagles.

Johnson on City’s “wake up call”

“It was a poor afternoon but a brilliant wake up call. The back four were all over the shop and I’ve got eight days to focus on that. I’m pleased this has happened now.”

Johnson on needing players to be sharper

“We treat pre-season differently. We played the game (against Forest Green Rovers) after the travelling so I expect the boys to be 95 per cent sharper than they were today, heading into the Leeds game.

“It’s back to basics. We can work on all the patterns in the world, the rotations, the movements but if you can’t do the dirty bits well then you won’t succeed in any division.”

Johnson has ‘no fears’ for new season

“Yes absolutely [I am confident of being ready]. I have no fears. We worked well, we might not have looked like that today but I can assure everybody should have the same levels of optimism and enthusiasm for the season, as we do.

“It’s all good, it was a terrible result and I apologise…moving forward I have no fears at all.”:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

28 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Well Jono doesn't seem to concerned going by the official site.

Let have a bit of perspective, if we get dumped 3/0 by Leeds next week maybe then start to get worried.

Second thoughts it's Leeds so wele probably get stuffed anyway. Maybe give it another week after that.!!!

Bearing in mind he’s not going to , or shouldn’t slate them publicly

I’d say he doesn’t sound too impressed 

I thought our defensive organisation was poor from our back four, it was grumpy and stroppy and unenthusiastic and that’s something that this week we will be sure to go back to basics," said Johnson after the game.

"I’ll tell you one thing, I’m very happy that that’s given us the wake-up call today and I’ve got eight days or so to coach the boys.”

grumpy , stroppy , unenthusiastic ...........hmmmmm....not great is it 

Concerned about the tactics the players have been instructed with. Feels like it may have been a full pre-season of complexities of shape and rotation. Few reasons I say this.....

I was at FGR on Weds and we were pretty bad for the most part. Defensively poor and toothless up front with so much rotation across front 3 and also O'Dowda being LB one minute and RW the next. I'm all for wingers swapping flanks and a degree of fluidity, but we practically moved every forward player every 5 mins. 

I was interested to hear Szmodics post match interview where he mentioned having to get up to speed with the shape and all the patterns of play. LJ then said that the players were overdoing it and "simplicity is genius"

Same back 4 as last season, but we've just conceded 8 in 2 games. I'd have expected to see something a little better given the continuity.

Interested to to hear LJ say after today's match.... "We can work on all the patterns in the world, the rotations, the movements but if you can’t do the dirty bits well then you won’t succeed in any division.”

Maybe the players have been given "all the patterns in the world" and we just need to get back to some basics.

LJ is partial to complicating things in search for the extra 1%. Wonder if there is some confusion.

Just a thought at this stage, but having seen how toothless at one end (despite scoring 4), and unorganised we were on Weds, slightly concerned to hear more of the same today.

Fully expect a combative and competitive performance v Leeds now in reaction and hopefully a return to the defensive solidity that we built our success on last season.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As I didn’t see the game I can’t comment on the general play or failings today

Everyone points the blame at Pack in midfield

Decent player but lacks mobility and pace so ,

........play two creators in Szmodics and Elliasson who will offer very limited protection cover and little physicality ....

Then..........Play Brownhill alongside him who charges around with great enthusiasm but is caught out of possession a dozen times a game and does a limited amount of defensive cover (very Willing but not much help if you are 30. Yards out off position)

.....Pack’s  got a lot on his hands when we lose the ball hasnt he !!!

Give Packs brain and game reading to Brownhill or Brownhill legs to Pack and you’ve got a very good Championship midfielder 

Both have failings and if you are being totally ruthless regarding getting promotion , not sure either are good enough , both ‘decent’ ,  but both have deficiencies 

Think a different system has potential to help cover up such deficiencies- a bona fide central 3 would provide a bit more cover, potential to buy time to get back into a defensive shape- or a classical double pivot with Pack, A.N.Other in the 4-2-3-1and Brownhill's energy put to good use as the central one in the 4-2-3-1- all of the 3 can potentially interchange too but the lack of defensive cover you mention a concern of course. O'Dowda-Brownhill-Smzodics as the '3' with Weimann up front as the'1' could be interesting to see and maybe a bit more work to recover the ball- Weimann will run all day for a start.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bottom line is we played our back four who were together all of last season , or for the vast majority of games

On the goals they looked like they were four poor trialists who had never seen each other before , and that I really am surprised and concerned at 

I don’t believe we will be anywhere near as bad next week but the idea that players can just switch it on or turn it up a notch is not one I subscribe too and not impressed with the focus or attitude in the ‘defending’ I saw

Kalas looked like a non league trialist for the goals , luckily we know , like Webster that’s nowhere near a assessment of him as a player

Hunt for me a different story - out of position or switched off as he does nearly every time I see him

Tbf I shouldn’t lump JDS in with the other three in respect of the goals - cant recall any blame specifically on him

Wonder if the back 4 are missing the fairly commanding presence of Maenpaa behind them.

Not saying Bentley isn't a good goalkeeper- he is. Sometimes these intangibles can prove quite significant though. To say nothing of the continuity of Maenpaa being a regular number one.

Bad day but not very important in the big scheme of things. Defence asleep, midfield mainly ineffective and no punch up front. Hoping for a couple of signings and different performance for next week.

Was very impressed with Bentley's distribution along with Elliason, who I think will be very good this year. O'Dowda looked up for it when he came on and added something. Let's hope his situation gets sorted out soon.

Very worried about the ****Ing seagulls.

On 24/07/2019 at 21:43, bristolmoose said:

Due to unforeseen circumstances, tonight's OTIB meltdown has been cancelled.
In its place we will be showing a repeat of Babestation from 14th May 2018.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Aaaaand we're back! Thanks for bearing with us during our recent technical difficulties.

With regards today, that was concerning indeed IMO.

Palace are a solid lower midtable to midtable PL side with a top 6, top7 away record last season sure. One star and a number of decent players yes.

For all that however, I thought after the first went in we were very poor. Until then we were playing it around well, good in possession for sure albeit they had the biggest chance at 0-0, other than the goal of course.

The way we conceded the first 2 goals in a cluster was a concern too- 1 became 2 quite quickly- it's something we have in us, remember Sheffield Wednesday at home last year alright first half, Kelly hit bar at 0-0. Joao scored his first and then a few mins later it was 2- tactical failing or just one of those things?

Possibly the biggest concern though is I don't even or didn't even think Crystal Palace were that good tbh.Thought the goals wewe largely quite easy, the first 2 goals fairly short distance in time a problem and we lost 5-0 at home to an okay but nothing special side. Not good enough by far.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder if the back 4 are missing the fairly commanding presence of Maenpaa behind them.

Not saying Bentley isn't a good goalkeeper- he is. Sometimes these intangibles can prove quite significant though. To say nothing of the continuity of Maenpaa being a regular number one.

Fair point Mr P -

Difficult to tell if communication an issue in goals , looked more a lack of organisation / marking and doing basics between Kalas , Hunt Webster moreso besides poor protection

The result is awful , but it’s the performance , it’s the defensive shambles for those goals and conceding 3 in 60 mins at FGR that concerns me

Going by those who saw the game today it sounds we again looked toothless and busy bees ? busy ? returned to mind

2 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Its seriously obvious we need an out and out finisher.

Fammy hitting over the bar from 2 yards out is harder to do than put the bloody thing in the net.

And this bloody tour to the USA, subjecting the squad to immense heat and humidity must be bloody draining and perhaps most are just getting over it all?

What did the tour prove?

Lost to Derby and played a 2nd division American side?

Kalas and Webster both looked w@@@ed out today.

Our squad is far to good to have a relegation struggle but a season of mid table security will piss the fans off after spending a serious amount of money on new players.

From being so positive i cant help have some negitive feelings towards next saturday v Leeds.

Prove me wrong lads please.

I came back from America on Monday and have just got over my jet lag .

I didn’t fly first class or have the luxury of somebody else taking care of my journey but it could be having an effect on some of the  players .

:dunno:

Bloody hope it’s that .

52 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Bad day but not very important in the big scheme of things. Defence asleep, midfield mainly ineffective and no punch up front. Hoping for a couple of signings and different performance for next week.

Was very impressed with Bentley's distribution along with Elliason, who I think will be very good this year. O'Dowda looked up for it when he came on and added something. Let's hope his situation gets sorted out soon.

I doubt we’ll be playing them this season.

Today was a very important reality check. Although only a friendly it confirmed much of what we already know (the  lack of creativity, limited goalscoring threats) revealed some fresh concerns (defence too easily undone) and suggested a couple of positives (Sammie looked tidy and COD appeared keen to impress).

To concede five and never look like scoring against an organised and competent Crystal Palace side, who played well within themselves and still controlled the game throughout, was disappointing and concerning. For me it illustrated where we are as a work in progress, which is improving but still someway short of the finished article.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bottom line is we played our back four who were together all of last season , or for the vast majority of games

On the goals they looked like they were four poor trialists who had never seen each other before , and that I really am surprised and concerned at 

I don’t believe we will be anywhere near as bad next week but the idea that players can just switch it on or turn it up a notch is not one I subscribe too and not impressed with the focus or attitude in the ‘defending’ I saw

Kalas looked like a non league trialist for the goals , luckily we know , like Webster that’s nowhere near a assessment of him as a player

Hunt for me a different story - out of position or switched off as he does nearly every time I see him

Tbf I shouldn’t lump JDS in with the other three in respect of the goals - cant recall any blame specifically on him

I have not read anything further than this post at the moment but I have to echo the points you make. It did look like the first match back after the season break. It did look like it was full of new signings who had only just met. The reality is that it’s our last practice match, and Bentley aside,  for pretty much both halves the team only contained one player (Szmodics and  then Taylor Moore) that weren’t first team regulars last season. Indeed some players have been playing together for a couple of years or so now. They aren’t strangers.

Palace were good, not great but they didn’t have to be. They looked like a team who worked hard for eachother and had no lack of being on the same wavelength that we seemed to be suffering from. We did pass it around well at times, but ultimately you just knew it was going to be in vain.

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I didn’t fly first class or have the luxury of somebody else taking care of my journey but it could be having an effect on some of the  players .

Bloody hope it’s that .

I came back from Bristol to Fenland a 3 months ago and it has taken until now to recover from the jet lag , as there is a 25 year time difference.

58 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bloody hope it’s that .

Just watched the Cagliari v Leeds game which ended 1-1.

Leeds have travelled much further (Australia) and tonight to Sardinia and looked very good, bossed the second half.

I really don't think jet lag can be used as an excuse.

If the players turn up against Leeds as they did today I'd expect another hiding.

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say

Bentley 6

Hunt 3

Webster 3

Kalas 3

Dasilva 5 

Brownhill 6 (motm)

Pack 5

Eliasson 5

Szmodics 4

Weimann 5

Diedhiou 5

Brownhill and Bentley only two to come out of that with any sort of decent performance imo

Brownhill, really? Agree with all the other ratings, but imo ( & this is how bad it was! ), a sub, Patterson looked our best player today. Not writing off the new lad, but Patterson starts for me on Sunday. COYR 

2 hours ago, Calculus said:

don't tell the club,they will see profit and start selling ratmacs at a tenner a pop to stop you getting shat on.

first time ive seen it there before in numbers ,do they often come in the stands like that?

the 2 pigeons provided a bit of entertainment second half, particularly the one that crash landed

Archived