IGNORED

Beer Today.

Bristol Rob

Just now, Carey 6 said:

There’s about 10 of us that leave the pub at 2.15 to have one in the concourse before the match, I think we’ll be changing from that routine! 

We were using the sports bar for a few seasons, but the lack of seating has seen us decamp back to various pubs, Sports Bar still remains an option for midweek games, but I can see that being less popular going forward.

Two quid change from a twenty for a four drink round... I'll give that a swerve.

Last couple of seasons we've been using Sports Bar or Thatchers Bar if weather ok. Couldnt believe the price hike and poor service due to low staffing. If thats a sign of things to come then it's back to the pub pre-match for us. They've also changed the lager from Fosters to Heineken, which no doubt is because they buy it in cheaper, and then apply massive increase.

44 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If the local pubs were priced in a similar way to the club, you could understand it, bit it almost feels like we were unknowingly on the receiving end of a few years if outlandish discounting and now the club believe people are in a new routine, they are hiking up the prices.

That is pretty much how capitalism works.

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Anyone in the pub trade know what the mark up is in a pint? Are the margins thin or is a case of squeezing more out of an already decent margin? 

There’s not a massive mark up on a pint. The pub company charge a fortune. That’s partly why a pint of a coke costs the same - mark up on a coke makes up for the beer.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/05/28/What-is-the-average-price-of-a-pint-in-the-UK

The only way to make a point is to not drink at the ground. Just don't pay the prices. 

It's a choice...no one is making you.

Problem is...people will grumble but still pay it.

Action speaks louder than words.

Completely agree. Starting this thread was more to inform, I am guessing a lot will turn up next week and be shocked by the increase.

43 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Anyone in the pub trade know what the mark up is in a pint? Are the margins thin or is a case of squeezing more out of an already decent margin? 

In the early 70s my first job was in a brewery  pubs bought beer for 10p a pint and sold it at 15p (so 50% mark up on cost) but back then pub rents were around £3 per week. Markups have increased over the years as rents have increased - my  small back street boozer rent was £2k a month a few years back, mark ups on a pint  are in the region of 125-150% now in pubs. As for the £5  pint comedians,  this will have been purchased by the club for less than £2 - with this pricing policy I will drink outside the ground in future.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

If today's reaction is representative think bar takings will take a massive hit at the ground this season, a classic case of greed getting the better of them, as people have said just stay in the pub a little longer, very short-sighted by the club hopefully they will see sense, but don't hold your breath.

I think it will go the other way, a minority (including me) will stay in the pub a bit longer but most won't even notice and the club will make more money than ever.

Football in the 21 century though - fans demands and competition has driven the game crazy. We have one thread saying the club needs to spend more money and another saying fans don't want to pay more, can anyone else see the correlation here? 

10 hours ago, pillred said:

15 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Speaking as a dedicated pissant, even I can go for two hours without a pint and a pie.

£5? Absolute robbery.

Completely agree.

As a dedicated smoker, I can happily jump on a plane and jet off somewhere without missing the tabs.

Maybe they have put the prices up to make us all healthier!

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Does the new SLO actually post on here?

is he even a city fan? (Genuine question apologies if missed)

Not so far as I can see- still early days but he's had plenty of time to at least pop in and introduce himself now.

@AshtonPark a few days ago on another thread seemed to think he would not be however!

It's unclear though as the statement by Matt Parsons on here- lifted from Bristol Post site which in turn was lifted from here :laughcont: - offers a bit of promise. Presumably that might include this place, which is the largest independent City fans forum I believe and a reasonable cross section of fans. This line could be an important indicator as to whether he posts on here.

I will be introducing Ryan to key groups over the coming weeks and he is keen to open channels of communication.

Archived